Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #1

Flagstaff fiver TV

Hello all, I am a new member to this site and my family and I are the proud new owners of a Flagstaff 8528BHWS fiver. This is our first trailer unit. We are stepping up from a Coleman tent! We cant wait for summer to start using it, its going to be a long wait. I was wondering if anyone is towing a flagstaff fiver with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton and how your TV handles the extra pin weight? My TV is a 2011 F-250 with the camper package(heavier front spring and aux leaf spring on the rear) which is more than capable for our trailer. I am wondering if I might need airbags or something along those lines to have my truck sitting level while towing. Thanks for any info!
Ramrod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #2

Your dry pin weight is only listed at 1428#. Even loaded up you won't be very heavy on the pin. Remember your 250 with the camper package is identical to a single rear wheel 350 but for the taller rear spring spacer block. So, if you did have a little sag that you didn't like, a much less expensive upgrade than airbags would be to swap in the taller 350 blocks. They are only about $40 each and another $30 or so for longer U-bolts. I doubt you will even feel that is necessary though. Enjoy the new rig and have fun!
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #3

I tow a similar size SOB 5er with a dry pin of 1385 and loaded pin of 1800lbs. I use a 12 Ram 2500 CCLB 4x4 CTD. I sag 2" in the rear. Rear is 3" higher than the front when empty. So loaded and ready to go I'm still 1" high in the rear. I use Timbrens for extra stability, but really don't need them. IMO you should be fine. I'd load up and give it a try before wasting money on bags or anything. You're not going to overload the rear of that 250 with 18-1900lbs of pin. That's a relatively small light weight 5er so an F250 is perfect. If you were starting out at near 2000lb for a dry pin then IMO bags would be a definite necessity. But not for 1428lbs dry.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff