Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Flat towing

We have a 2016 Class C Forester 3051S. We have a 2007 Honda CRV that we are looking to flat tow. Our dealership has quoted a price of around $3400-$3600, out the door. I have no idea what it should cost. We are not handy or do it yourselfers. Any idea if that is a reasonable price to pay and what is the best brand? We are new to towing a vehicle, but from the research we have done, we gathered that flat towing was best. My husband just retired last May and we bought the camper right away. I can work from the road so we are just getting started in the journey and figure we are going to have this for awhile and we need a vehicle. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

Gloria and Bruce
gandb26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #2

Flat towing

You already have a good vehicle for flat towing with four wheels down. We have been towing a CRV's for 10 years with no problems. On both CRV we used Blue Ox base plates mounted to the car and Blue Ox tow bars. Seems like we paid about $250.00 for the first base plate to be installed and did the second install with the help of a friend. Don't forget to get a supplemental Braking system, we now use a RVI2 system and like it. Good Luck.
Cubby afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #3

What are you talking about with 3400 to 3600? and best brand of what?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #4

These numbers are from a spreadsheet I did when I was researching my set up last year. I actually came in pretty close, some items were on sale for lower, the labor came in higher. Plus don't forget to add freight in and tax.

Attached Images

Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #5

They said "out the door" for that amount. I'm assuming that means everything we need to tow, brake buddy, etc. I am going to call them tomorrow for more details. I asked what happens if we buy a new car (obviously something that could be towed) and he said a new "base plate" for around $700, which you show as much lower, but maybe the $700 included labor to install?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandb26 View Post
We have a 2016 Class C Forester 3051S. We have a 2007 Honda CRV that we are looking to flat tow. Our dealership has quoted a price of around $3400-$3600, out the door. I have no idea what it should cost. We are not handy or do it yourselfers. Any idea if that is a reasonable price to pay and what is the best brand? We are new to towing a vehicle, but from the research we have done, we gathered that flat towing was best. My husband just retired last May and we bought the camper right away. I can work from the road so we are just getting started in the journey and figure we are going to have this for awhile and we need a vehicle. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

Gloria and Bruce
That does not sound too bad but it would help if you told us exactly what is included in the price and brand names/models etc.

I have a 2014 CRV AWD, blue ox baseplate, Readybrute Elite tow bar that incorporates an inertia break & brake light indicator, I needed a 10" drop receiver to ensure the tow bar was within 2" level when hitched to the car, safety chains, emergency break away kit, lighting kit that is wired into the existing rear light clusters.

I also opted for a tow bar rock deflector AND the fuse bypass switch, without which the car battery will go dead in about 6-7 hours on our AWD
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #7

Actually your first step should be to dig out your CRV owners manual and make sure that your model and transmission is flat tow-able. I'm pretty sure it is but I would confirm that first.

I got 3 different quotes from RV dealers with a spread of $500, so yes, make a couple calls and make sure you know what you're getting. The two famous types of base plates and tow bars are RoadMaster and Blue Ox. Portable brake systems include Patriot and Brake Buddy. I've met guys who are very happy with each of them. There are other brands but I don't know much about them; the cars don't seem to fall off the RV's so they must be alright.

If you go with one of the portable brake systems and buy a new car later on, you will just need a new base plate and wiring, the tow bar and brake system work on any car.

We've towed nearly 10,000 miles and love having the car with us. We haven't any issues driving or any damage to the car. Before we retired we would rent a car at the destination for a couple days but it's real hassle to pick up and drop off. And now that we can stay out longer it would cost a fortune to rent, so I'm very happy with our set up.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

Will get all the details tomorrow and post. I am more concerned about how difficult it is to hook up and unhook. Neither one of us have towed anything before. We have both camped in our "other life" but he was a seasonal and I had an ex who hooked everything up.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #9

It is a Roadmaster tow bar and the braking system is an SMI, Stay and Play.

Any thoughts because of course all I have heard about is Blue Ox.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

As to the parts, the Roadmaster is very popular. If you talk to someone who has a Roadmaster he'll recommend Roadmaster, if you talk to a Blue Ox guy he'll recommend Blue Ox. The SMI is mounted to the tow vehicle, so if you by a new car later you need to have it uninstalled and reinstalled. On the Brake Buddy or Patriot you would only need to have the wiring done on the new vehicle.

As to set up, I don't think there is much difference between the two tow bars. But on the brake system, the SMI appears easier to hook up because it is mounted to the vehicle. The other two I mentioned are like a bowling bag size device that needs to be placed on floor in front seat, then an arm gets snapped on to the brake pedal. It pushes itself against the driver's seat when it brakes. So it's a start from scratch each time you hook up, but it's still only about few minutes.

You can see pictures and videos of all this stuff on Amazon or E-Trailer, which will be a lot clearer than my descriptions.

Did you two ever think you'd have to learn so much stuff just to go camping?
Old 04-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #11

Thanks TLAK and no, we had no idea what we were in for even though we had done it before with other people. lol. He was a seasonal, so never drove or towed, just showed up and I had a husband who handled all the mechanical things so I know nothing about it. But I'm learning. We can both drive and handle all the in's and outs of setting up. That way if one of us has an issue and can't do their part, the other one can.

Appreciate your insight. We really had planned on just renting a car or taking uber/taxi or bus but we are going for a month so that wouldn't be an economical good option. Figure we might as well bite the bullet and get it now. We're going to need it.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
It is a Roadmaster tow bar and the braking system is an SMI, Stay and Play.

Any thoughts because of course all I have heard about is Blue Ox.
TLAK is correct with the tow bars - we have a Readybrute Elete and would recommend that, it has an inertia brake incorporated into the tow bar, the mechanism is connected the the brake peddle in the car. When you apply the brake to the coach it slows down causing the car to push on the tow bar which applies the cars brake. The amount of braking applied to the car is relative to how hard you apply the brakes to the coach.

Looking at other brands I would say the Readybrute elite is a heavier tow bar, physically bigger and rated at 6000lb. I manage it on my own but its a bit of a handful.

Good luck with whatever combination you choose
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #13

price to flat tow

Quote:

Thanks,

Gloria and Bruce
I was quoted about the same price. 3600 I did it myself for 2100 You can save about 600 in purchasing the equipment and 900 for the labor. And I used better stuff. I used all blue ox.
JohnGaines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing