Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Domer

Flat Towing and Supplemental Braking Questions

We are planning a trip from Indiana to Reno, NV in our 2021 Coachmen Mirada motorhome. I plan to flat tow my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. My research has indicated that the Blue Ox towbar is a good solution, but I'm challenged at selecting a supplemental braking system for the Wrangler, though the Blue Ox website offers the Patriot Braking system. Looking at the grade maps from Mountain Directory, it seems I will be dealing with grades up to 7% in some areas. So any suggestions on equipment, techniques or recommendations would be much appreciated. This is our first RV and obviously our first trip through the Rockies. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Domer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
NXR

Since you have a gasser the first question you need to decide is "permanently installed or portable?".

I use a Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO with an Equinox, which is permanently installed. Hook up the tow bar electrical cable, flip a switch inside and you're ready to go. The Stay-IN-Play DUO senses both that a deceleration is occurring through its own G force sensor AND that the motorhome driver is stepping on the brakes via a connection to the brake lights. Only when both conditions are satisfied will it apply the toad brakes. But since it needs installed you're burning some hours up front but only once.

Most portable ones sit on the floor, need hooked to the brake pedal, and a source of 12 volt electrical power. They push on the driver's seat so they can exert force on the brake pedal. AFAIK they only sense that a deceleration is occurring through a G force sensor. They seem to require ten to fifteen minutes to install or remove and then you have to find a place to stash the unit when not towing.

There's advantages and disadvantages to each, which is why you need to make that decision first.

There's a bazillion posts on this subject over here: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/

Good luck,

Ray
Old 01-22-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Great info from NXR however....
I’ve used the portable Brake Buddy for years in our Pontiac G6 and now Terrain, and it’s less than 5 minutes to install and set up.....even less to remove when finished.
Totally portable to use on the next toad.....if needed.

Just sayin’.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Great info from NXR however....
I’ve used the portable Brake Buddy for years in our Pontiac G6 and now Terrain, and it’s less than 5 minutes to install and set up.....even less to remove when finished.
Totally portable to use on the next toad.....if needed.

Just sayin’.
Thanks for the correction. You may bend easier than I do.

Ray
Old 01-23-2021, 12:01 AM   #5

We use an RViBrake3 for toad braking. It is a portable unit that takes 5 minutes or less to install and set up in the toad. In our toad, a Ford Fiesta, the low profile brake unit sits on the floor and pushes against a raised lip in the floor pan, not against the seat.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
We use an RViBrake3 for toad braking. It is a portable unit that takes 5 minutes or less to install and set up in the toad. In our toad, a Ford Fiesta, the low profile brake unit sits on the floor and pushes against a raised lip in the floor pan, not against the seat.
I also use the RVIbrake3 in my Toad. Behind Bars report is the same info for my Jeep Wrangler Toad. I do like the low profile of the unit as I store it in the RV with long stays and short on space. Can easily be transferred to another Toad if needed.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #7

You may like staying at the Gold Ranch RV Park in Verdi? 10 Miles west of downtown. Quiet and well ran.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
CA Happy Camper

Toad Aux brakes

I have a 2016 Cherokee Tralhawk using the Stay and Play Duo. Very satisfied and can really feel the benefit on steep downhills.
Have Blue ox that had easy tow kit that replaced towhooks.
Make sure your umbilical cable fom th rv has a trickle charge to keep the jeep charged.
One trip I had with a damaged cable resulted in dead jeep at the destination.

2017 Georgetown 270s
scottrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
questions, towing