Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Flat Towing Vehicle Search Help Please; dan

Hello,
Not sure if this is the right place in the Forum stream to ask the question, but here goes.

We have owned tents, pop up trailers, and two Vanagans. We purchase a great 2016 Forest River Forester MBS 2041W in Summer 2015. We've had it cross country twice 2015 & 2016. (West Coast to East Coast and back), plus local trips here in the West (6 hour drives each way up and down the coast). Each time back east we rented a car (for two months while visiting our oldest daughter and family). Very expensive.

We like RVing all over the place, but not being stuck in an RV park or campground without wheels. Most places, expect Pismo Beach for example aren't close enough to sight see. So, we are looking for a toad to pull 4 wheels down behind our Forester.

Our personal hitch is that it's not going to be our primary vehicle when not on the road. So, it will be a secondary vehicle when at home. We want a 2016 or 2017 with warranties (just a personal choice), but not the high price of a large car or truck or jeep. So, that begins the limitation process. Here's what we came up with so far (it's me, my German wife Gerda, and our Aussie Cattle Dog mix Sprinkles on the road -- so enough room for Sprinkles in the back on short sightseeing trips).

1. Wrangler 4 x 4 Sport. Like, but when you check out the dealers the base price MSRP of $20K is never on a lot. Here in San Diego County they start at around $35K and that's way over budget. Most used ones here have at least 80K miles on them and most over 100K and that's just passing maintenance problems on the buyer.

2. 2016/2017 Fiat 500 models. They run around $15K here. Reading flat tow articles they appear to be flat towable 4 wheels down (70 mph). Don't know anyone flat towing them. It appears room enough for 2 adults and a family pet on short sightseeing runs.

3. 2016/2017 Chevy Spark. Appears towable (70 mph). Run about $16K here in San Diego County. Don't know anyone towing them.

4. Smart 4 Two. Appear to be towable 4 wheels down. A bit small but just enough space to put our pet in the back on very short excursions. I've read that the steering wheel has to be fixed in place by bungee cords.

That's about it. When I call or email the dealers online it becomes very apparent they haven't a clue. All say, no problem. Then when I talk to them on the phone they say they can refer me to an RV dealer to get the towing bar installed. When I ask about flat plates, they go blank.

So, does anyone have any information they can share? Ideas? Recommendations? Anything would be helpful. Not having a toad is really diminishing our RV experience on the road.

v/r,

Dan & Gerda Hatton
San Diego, CA
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #2

Why did you post this twice? I don't see your other post now so like I said I also draw a bland with "flat Plates" what are these or are you talking about base plates?

you seem to have narrowed it down to #2 or 3 go with one of those and report back on how well they tow
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

I bought our Jeep Wrangler locally at SJC Jeep. I paid $4700 to have the complete Blue Ox tow system with latest technology aluminum tow. We are selling our 22' Forester. We would also be open to selling the Wrangler and toad set up. Let me know !
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #4

Jeep Wrangler question from dan

Are you up in Orange County (CA)?

A couple of questions if you don't mind:

1. Year.
2. Miles.
3. Price including the tow set up you installed.
4. Which model? Never owned one. We have an Aussie Cattle Dog who will ride in the back.
Anything you can think of that I'm obviously not thinking of to ask.

thanks,

dan
Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #5

Yes, we are in South OC, Dana Point. Wrangler is 2016 , 4209 miles on it.
I paid $4700 to have the complete newest package installed. Your dog will fit on the back seat. Use harness on him with seatbelt attachment. No problem.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #6

Oops, sorry for not completing the post. Price is $34,000
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #7

Flat Towing Vehicle Search Help Please; dan

A new Honda Fit manual can be flat towed. Base model starts at 16k and I have a brake buddy and road master tow bar that sold his class a due to health reasons.

Wasn't on your list but wanted to give all info.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
A new Honda Fit manual can be flat towed. Base model starts at 16k and I have a brake buddy and road master tow bar that sold his class a due to health reasons.

Thanks Hondaman! I didn't know that! I'll check them out too! Dan
Old 04-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
Oops, sorry for not completing the post. Price is $34,000

Thanks for the info! Fair price! No argument there but not looking for something that expensive for primarily flat towing! Dan
Old 05-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #10

If you are considering used, a Honda CR-V before the 2015 model can be flat towed. I have a 2013 that I tow though I am considering a Jeep Wrangler as well. But like you, I am shocked at the used prices of the Wrangler and I am considering a new one if I get one at all. I will be keeping the CR-V and getting rid of my other car, so I will have two possible TOADs.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #11

Kia Toad

I found a basic manual Kia Soul. At under 3000#, it tows like a champ and with the back seat folded down has plenty of room for the extra stuff I "need". Fine for driving around town and gets great mileage.

I'd also suggest a TPMS system. Before I got mine, I had a blowout on the Kia and ruined the tire AND the rim and the inner stuff in the wheel well before a passer-by called it to my attention
dav7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
woodguy

MBS flat tow

We flat tow a Fiat 500C POP 5 Speed Manual with out MBS Prism with great success. Don't know its there at all. (Just don't try to back up )

It's a convertible so lots of summer fun. Just the two of us so lots of up front room. Back seat is a bit crammed, but not a problem for us. Happy summer travels
Old 05-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #13

Thumbs up Flat tow vehicle

We have very happily been towing our Chevy Spark for a year. It is easy to tow and the interior is more spacious than it looks. It should work well for you and your dog. The cargo space is large enough to hold groceries. The rear seats fold down for more space.

You do need to buy one with the manual transmission. Then all you do is put it in neutral and away you go.

During the off season it is an economical commuting car.
Mimi Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
Retired

We have labs and have a RAV4 if I were towing a vehicle I would have no hesitation of using the RAV4 ...just my 2 cent worth
Old 05-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

We tow a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium. The Focus sells fairly well and used ones can be had cheap. Even a new one comfortably configured can be had for $20,000. We did the complete Blue Ox installation ourselves. From 2012-on both the manual and auto transmissions can be flat towed.

Motorhome Magazine has information on most manufacturers, however, we've seen both make/model omissions and some incorrectly listed as "Flat-4 towable" when it was not (per the manufacturer). Always check with the manufacturer for the final say. For all Fords:
RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Carozzoni View Post
We tow a 2015 Ford Focus Titanium. The Focus sells fairly well and used ones can be had cheap. Even a new one comfortably configured can be had for $20,000. We did the complete Blue Ox installation ourselves. From 2012-on both the manual and auto transmissions can be flat towed.

Motorhome Magazine has information on most manufacturers, however, we've seen both make/model omissions and some incorrectly listed as "Flat-4 towable" when it was not (per the manufacturer). Always check with the manufacturer for the final say. For all Fords:
RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com

Thank you! Will check out the spark closer as well! Dan
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #17

Thank you!
Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post

Thank you! Dan
Old 05-01-2017, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
We have labs and have a RAV4 if I were towing a vehicle I would have no hesitation of using the RAV4 ...just my 2 cent worth

Thank you! Dan
Old 05-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi Lucy View Post
We have very happily been towing our Chevy Spark for a year. It is easy to tow and the interior is more spacious than it looks. It should work well for you and your dog. The cargo space is large enough to hold groceries. The rear seats fold down for more space.

You do need to buy one with the manual transmission. Then all you do is put it in neutral and away you go.

During the off season it is an economical commuting car.

That sounds like a winner! Thank you!! Dan

Tags
towing