Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #1

Flex Air Pinbox FYI

I don't know if anyone has run in to this but here is what I experienced when purchasing and installing (myself) Flex Air Pinbox by Trailair from Lippert. I purchased it from Tweetys in Bulverde Tx (treated me great) and when I got it mounted on the trailer I noticed the bottom metal plate on the air bag (no air yet) had about 1/4" between it and the lower jaw its mounted and I could see the bolt threads. Didn't feel this was right. I called Lippert (Tweetys wasn't open yet) and was told by Irwin that I could take the shock loose, drop the jaw down, take the bag off run the bolt in a little more then reassemble it. Not wanting to mess with possible warranty issues I I didn't. When Tweetys opened I called them sent photos and they said something wasn't right and had another sent in. I picked it up mounted it and it had the same 1/4" gap. 2 different pinboxes 2 different suppliers. Whats the chance I got 2 boxes that the same hung over individual put together . Called Tweetys back they said they have never heard of that problem but to let them know what I wanted to do. Called Lippert back and asked if they were suppose to be like that. He didn't know and didn't offer anyone else to call but told me again what he told me before. He also stated he didn't believe it was an issue but I could tighten it up a little so I guess I will unless I get comments to the contrary. Any one Have anything to add.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

Pictures?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It's really hard to visualize what you think is an issue without seeing it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

Im trying to post some pictures. Should have mentioned that. I will asap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2980.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	220726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2979.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	220727  
Iyamtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

So... is that a stud coming out of the bottom of the air bag with a nut or is there a bolt that threads into the air bag plate from underneath?

Can you/have you tried tightening it?

Once the bag has air and also once the weight is on the bag, that bolt/stud does nothing other than keep the bag at the proper location on the plate. I would think at that point, (once aired up and weighted) it would't matter if the stud stuck through the plate even with no nut.

If it's a bolt, I'd just want to be sure it couldn't back out all the way (Locktite?) but I don't believe I'd have concern that the air bag and the pin box plate are tightly assembled. It may need to move slightly according to the air pressure.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #6

Unfortunately I have had to replace my airbag on our pinbox. So hope I can help. On mine the bottom bolt is a carriage bolt that is screwed into the airbag then dropped into the key like opening on the lower arm, then it is slid forward. I made mine tight enough that it took a bit of force to slide it forward. Made sure the two top bolts were lined up and tightened down. It looks like your carriage bolt is loose and just needs tightened. Hope this helps.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #7

Mine definitely does not have that gap.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:39 PM   #8

Recently mounted on my 5er looks the same as in your photo with the gap. With weight on the hitch and bag aired up there won't have a gap
cpadd2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #9

As Rich suggested I did drop the shock out of the way, slide the bottom of the bag to the right enough that the head of the carriage bolt came out and ran the bolt up as far as I could and be able to still get slid back in the slot. Im satisfied as long as the square part of the carriage bolt is in the slot it cant go any where. Before I did that the bolt was down far enough that it wasn't in the slot and could have worked its way out. In my short test run my new pinbox seems to have made a big difference. Now to put the shock kit on.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #10

I'm glad to hear that you seem to have resolved your issue. I have the same pinbox and absolutely love it and am confident that you will too.
Additionally I would like to thank you for sharing this. I have always wondered how the bag was held in place but never tried to take it out. But because of your post I now feel that I have a general understanding and am more confident and prepared when the time comes if I ever need to replace the bag or make an adjustment.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Tom
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote