Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

Floating hitch on 2015 Wildcat 5er

While towing my rv watching in the rear view mirror, it appears that my hitch is “floating”. Meaning like is on shocks. Would the hitch have some kind of cushion for rough roads? It is a 15 Wildcat 5th wheel 35 feet long.
ButchBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Somewhere on the "kingpin" (the hitch is in the back of your truck), should be a model number. Find that and post it. A picture or two wouldn't hurt either.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #3

That makes sense. I know it is a Moryd brand. It appears there is flex in the body.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #4

Yikes. Hope there is not a crack in your frame. There shouldn’t be much flex in the hitch. Need to find out where the movement is coming from.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #5

To clarify. The best way to describe it its this. When looking in the mirror when driving on uneven roads ie. highway with dips, it appears the body of the rv flexes in regard to the king pin plate. All of the outside sheeting and parts are in place. Everything on the outside looks solid.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
Always Learning

Is it possible that you have the MorRyde Rubber Pinbox?

Rubber Pin Box - MORryde Products

If it's a totally fixed hitch, then there should be no "floating" or give.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Butch, post a pic of the pinbox. More than likely you have a standard 1621. There have been cases (mine for one) where the crossmember of the pinbox shears, allowing the pinbox to move up and down while towing and hitting bumps. You should have it inspected which will entail using and inspection scope camera or removing the under sheathing. There are multiple threads on this site for the exact issue.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #8

So if that is the case. Why is there not a bunch of sag when hitched up? Also what would cause it to shear?
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Before you panic... tell us exactly what you have and post a photo of it.

Also try to describe what you mean by you see it flexing.

It is not uncommon to see ever so slight movement at the fiberglass/tin area around the pin box when traveling.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #10

I took it to storage this morning, so can’t get a pic. The movement is where the shell goes around the pin box. The movement is more than ever so slight. I just came back from a 1200 mile trip. It seemed to tow fine.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #11

The Moryde pin box only moves fore and aft. If you see the underside of the 5er moving up and down and the pin box not moving then you probably have serious frame issues.
I have a MR pin box and there's zero movement up and down.
The pin box is bolted to the frame so maybe the bolts are loose and you're getting movement there.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Shortly after getting my rig, I noticed what you describe, and it seemed to sit a bit lower than when new. My pin box bolts were not very tight, plus, they only had 4 bolts in 6 holes. Added two, tightened them all to the torque specs given to me by a local trailer frame shop. (4 years ago, do not remember) but I now check for tightness every so often. No flex since. I did inspect each bolt for galling or damage, did not replace. Used grade 8’s in the additional holes.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #13

When I installed my MR on my 5er I scribed a line next to the pin box edges. That way I can tell if there's any movement. That was 4 years ago. Nothings moved.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #14

The first time my wife drove our fiver she was looking in the rear view mirror and told me the same thing. The front overhang of the fiver appeared to be flexing like the frame was broken or the hitch was loose. We pulled over and everything was fine.

So I drove while she looked out the back window. She saw the same thing. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. She was expecting the trailer and the truck to always be aligned and level at the hitch. She was picking fixed spots on the truck hitch and trailer and watching them move up and down, and not together.

Took awhile to figure out it was just the truck and trailer moving over small bumps in the road one at a time. Normal movement at the pivot point (hitch). Maybe this is what you are seeing.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The first time my wife drove our fiver she was looking in the rear view mirror and told me the same thing. The front overhang of the fiver appeared to be flexing like the frame was broken or the hitch was loose. We pulled over and everything was fine.

So I drove while she looked out the back window. She saw the same thing. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. She was expecting the trailer and the truck to always be aligned and level at the hitch. She was picking fixed spots on the truck hitch and trailer and watching them move up and down, and not together.

Took awhile to figure out it was just the truck and trailer moving over small bumps in the road one at a time. Normal movement at the pivot point (hitch). Maybe this is what you are seeing.
LOL yeah looking in the mirrors can do strange things. When I look in the side view mirrors it looks like my 5er is really bouncing side to side. One time my wife followed me home from a close buy campground. I asked her if she could see the 5er moving and she said no. It was rock solid. Just moving you head back and forth will make the objects in the mirrors seem to move.
Add in the somewhat rougher ride a truck has when towing and it's hard to keep fixed on a point of view.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchBecky View Post
That makes sense. I know it is a Moryd brand. It appears there is flex in the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Butch, post a pic of the pinbox. More than likely you have a standard 1621. There have been cases (mine for one) where the crossmember of the pinbox shears, allowing the pinbox to move up and down while towing and hitting bumps. You should have it inspected which will entail using and inspection scope camera or removing the under sheathing. There are multiple threads on this site for the exact issue.
05CrewDually, ButchBecky does say that it's a MorRyde brand pinbox. Which means it is likely NOT the Lippert 1621.

I do fear that the area around the pinbox needs to be inspected.

My first goal would be to have a passenger make a video showing the flexing.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Or shoot a video from the side showing the 5'ver being lowered onto the hitch to see what happens when the weight of the trailer is resting on the hitch.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #18

Pretty easy to tell if it's a frame issue. When hitching and lowering the 5er down on the 5th hitch see whats moving. If the pin keeps moving up then it's either loose bolts or it's a cracked frame.
Only pin boxes that flex are the ones with air bags.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #19

Thanks for all the replies. After researching this further I have decided to pull the sheeting around the king pin box and inspect it. With all the trouble with the Lippert frames I don’t want to tow it again without inspection. I talked to a reputable machine shop owner and he has actually seen this happen on other rigs. I will update as I have more information.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #20

Are you sure it's a lippert frame. In 2015 I think they were an NXG Frame by BAL
Thats according to the 2015 brochure.
https://assets-cdn-interactrv.netdna...27201407190000

Tags
5er, cat, hitch, wildcat