Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
With a hitch installed, it will work exactly as any other tailgate, with the exception that you can do this.

or this:

I fail to see how that is a negative.

Tim
If you have a hitch and ball in the insert, you cannot use the step . . . .

It's OK if you want to remove your insert every time you want to use the step.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I tend to agree with you. I think its actually pretty awesome. Over engineered? Probably. Awesome? Yes. I am curious how much it costs. When you buy it new, how much price is added for you to have that, and then when it gets smashed (as many tailgates seem to do), how much does it cost to replace? Just waiting for the stories on the news about how thieves are stealing the new GMC tailgates...
Ouch. Didn't even think of excessive repair/replacement costs or it being a thief magnet. I hope it locks/unlocks automatically.

It's easy to look up parts prices for my truck. Can anyone look up the GM part number and tell us what this goody costs?
Old 02-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #23
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
If you have a hitch and ball in the insert, you cannot use the step . . . .

It's OK if you want to remove your insert every time you want to use the step.
Ok, I understand what you are saying. But my point is: With a hitch installed, it functions no worse than a standard conventional tailgate. It's not like the whole thing is completely useless when you have a hitch installed.

Personally, I think its an answer to a question that nobody asked. Engineers sometimes get so overcome with the desire to create new things that they never check if there is actually a problem there that needs solved. Remember when every single electronic thing was offering 'gesture control'? Turns out nobody wants to change channels on the TV by karate-chopping air. You don't see those anymore, because it was not in any way better than a regular old remote control.

With that said, there is sure to be some guys who find it handy as a third arm. But from my view, its no worse than a standard tailgate. As long as they keep it optional, or throw it on for the same price.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
Somebody posted in a different forum the other day a negative comment about the new tailgates. I'm wondering if somebody here can enlighten my idle curiosity?
My 2019 Silverado came with a power down/up tailgate and I don't like it. Manual would have been cheaper and better. The electric tailgates don't want to open or close if you have a tonneau cover. The GMC pro tailgates have their own problems, including hitting the hitch, as someone mentioned.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #25

Ford 7.3 Godzilla Tow Test

My wife tried to look it up at her shop and there was no listing yet. A friend at GMC says it’s 5k. For a tailgate...

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #26

TFL Truck gets my vote as being the most realistic and honest reviewers.

I am totally done with EPA Diesels. If I buy a new HD Truck, it will be a Ford with the 7.3 gasser in it...
If you look at the dyno charts for this 7.3, you'll see one of the longest and flattest torque curves of any gasser..

Torque talks and BS walks....

P.S. What the heck is all this talk of Tailgates in this thread? Just give me a friggen tailgate and keep all your bells and whistles...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #27

No offense to anyone, but while I understand you need to be able to flow with traffic and move when the light turns green, I have never given one seconds thought to what my 0-60 time was when I had a big trailer attached. Secondly I hate pulling up hills or trying to pass a pokey on the highway, and we all know even when towing a big 5vr you will come up on pokeys you need to get by. I cant stand having my engine screaming at 4500 to 5000 rpm to try to get it done.

Engine only makes 475 ft lbs and thats likely at a very healthy RPM. I will stick with my Cummins 1000 ft lbs and go up that hill on cruise control..
Old 02-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #28

Diesel - blah blah blah.......

This thread is about the Ford 7.3 gasser.. Go take a swig of DEF....

Look at the torque this 7.3 gasser makes at just 2500 RPM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-ford-f250-7.3-liter-gas-v8-power-curve-1024x704.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	223351  
Thor Vegas 25.5
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1965 View Post
No offense to anyone, but while I understand you need to be able to flow with traffic and move when the light turns green, I have never given one seconds thought to what my 0-60 time was when I had a big trailer attached. Secondly I hate pulling up hills or trying to pass a pokey on the highway, and we all know even when towing a big 5vr you will come up on pokeys you need to get by. I cant stand having my engine screaming at 4500 to 5000 rpm to try to get it done.

Engine only makes 475 ft lbs and thats likely at a very healthy RPM. I will stick with my Cummins 1000 ft lbs and go up that hill on cruise control..
Guess you never rode motorcycles. All my bikes revved out except for the big V twins. Having an engine scream for 30 secs to a couple minutes is nothing in the big picture.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #30

Quote:
With a hitch installed, it will work exactly as any other tailgate, with the exception that you can do this.

or this:

I fail to see how that is a negative.

Tim

The issue is that those of us who are constantly getting in and out do the bed and who also consistently tow a trailer have an issue with the step that was paid for.

I have a hitch in my truck 90% of the time. I also have crap knees and use the tailgate step on my ford multiple times a day.

This is something that I cannot do with the gm product. And it’s other features are meaningless to me.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #31

mmm I have a 7.3 Diesel in my 99 F350. It is the IH engine so it is a real TRUCK motor.
Oh, Turbo and a manual 6 speed too.
I like it.
Eric
Eric Hoffmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
TFL Truck gets my vote as being the most realistic and honest reviewers.

I am totally done with EPA Diesels. If I buy a new HD Truck, it will be a Ford with the 7.3 gasser in it...
If you look at the dyno charts for this 7.3, you'll see one of the longest and flattest torque curves of any gasser..

Torque talks and BS walks....

P.S. What the heck is all this talk of Tailgates in this thread? Just give me a friggen tailgate and keep all your bells and whistles...

I would agree the TFL tests are accurate and not brand specific. They test them all. If the lie-o-meter is used all brands are the effect of their own demise.

The Ford 7.3 blew away all over gas trucks

The Ford Super duty F 350 Diesel also blew away the other trucks.

Pretty clear which company has the number 1 truck. Gas and Diesel.

Tailgate doesn't matter in the argument at all.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hoffmeyer View Post
mmm I have a 7.3 Diesel in my 99 F350. It is the IH engine so it is a real TRUCK motor.
Oh, Turbo and a manual 6 speed too.
I like it.
Eric
Great to hear Eric. What did Dodge or GM/GMC offer back then? The IH 7.3 was and still is a powerful truck. We had one in the company I worked for, automatic though, towed broadcast trailer all over Canada. Never broke down.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #34

I was glad to see they paired the 7.3 F250 with 4:30 gearing. Exactly the combination I'd be interested in. After watching those Ike Gauntlet videos I'm curious to see how my 08 F250, V10 w 5Star, 4:10 gears would perform. Slightly less torque, 457 ft lbs max @3200 rpm.
Flat_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Diesel - blah blah blah.......

This thread is about the Ford 7.3 gasser.. Go take a swig of DEF....

Look at the torque this 7.3 gasser makes at just 2500 RPM!

No problem their Sir,, If the gasser is your thing I am all for it, I just prefer the 900Ft lbs my engine makes at 1600RPM..

Sort of off your chart there..

Old 02-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Guess you never rode motorcycles. All my bikes revved out except for the big V twins. Having an engine scream for 30 secs to a couple minutes is nothing in the big picture.

Actually I used to ride all the time, but the quality of the average driver these days has dropped to the point where I dont anymore.. For some reason revving on the bike never bothered me at all, but pulling a long hill with my truck engine churning at 4k RPM just drives me crazy. Cant explain it, I just dont like it.. We camp a lot up in the N Ga and Smokey mountains, and I just love the way that Cummins just walks on up the hill with little fuss or bother..
Old 02-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #37

As long as people are insisting on injecting Diesel Performance into a thread about the new Ford 7.3 Gasser - Let's talk about the Up-Charge to get that diesel vs. the Upcharge to get the 7.3 over the 6.2 V8 Gasser... 2 grand.

Let me see... The last I knew, Dodge was getting ~12k MSRP upcharge for their big Cummins. Ford was getting about 9k. I don't know what GM is getting for their Duramax.

For anywhere from 7k to 10k difference for the buy-in price, I can listen to the Gasser sing a little. Add in the fuel price and maintenance difference and the gasser starts making a whole lot more sense...

FWIW -

I'm not anti-diesel. Just anti-EPA-Diesel.. Yes, I've owned them. The last was a 2015 F350 DRW CC 6.7 that was strong as a bull. Just didn't need it any longer and sent it down the road.

Back to discussing the latest Push-Rod Gasser that's built like a diesel...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Old 02-13-2020, 11:31 PM   #38

85 octane is Regular in Colorado. The video indicated 11,000' , elevation. I only watched the first few seconds but it could be berthoud pass or monarch or any number that run around 11,000 feet. Admittedly I'm not even sure it's Colorado. I'll go back and watch it when I have time.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
85 octane is Regular in Colorado. The video indicated 11,000' , elevation. I only watched the first few seconds but it could be berthoud pass or monarch or any number that run around 11,000 feet. Admittedly I'm not even sure it's Colorado. I'll go back and watch it when I have time.

IKE Gauntlet - Eisenhower Tunnel Colorado..

https://www.tfltruck.com/tfltruck-hall-ike-gauntlet/
Thor Vegas 25.5
Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 AM   #40

Question

Quote:
Ok, I understand what you are saying. But my point is: With a hitch installed, it functions no worse than a standard conventional tailgate. It's not like the whole thing is completely useless when you have a hitch installed.

Personally, I think its an answer to a question that nobody asked. Engineers sometimes get so overcome with the desire to create new things that they never check if there is actually a problem there that needs solved. Remember when every single electronic thing was offering 'gesture control'? Turns out nobody wants to change channels on the TV by karate-chopping air. You don't see those anymore, because it was not in any way better than a regular old remote control.

With that said, there is sure to be some guys who find it handy as a third arm. But from my view, its no worse than a standard tailgate. As long as they keep it optional, or throw it on for the same price.

Tim
Hello,
we opted for the tailgate for a few reasons. We tow a fifth wheel, so the ball hitch is not a problem. I also have less than great shoulders from injuries and the ability to reach further into the bed with groceries and such is a plus for me. It made the choice of trim level on our 2020 Sierra HD much easier!

2017 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2020 GMC Denali 3500HD DMax
full time RV'rs
philstat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.3 gas, ford