Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Ford Expedition Newest Generation (07-14)

I have a 2011 EL. Towing about 6500# loaded on about a 30' TT. Equalizer 1k/10k. Prodigy P3. Who else has an Expy? What setup do you have with it? Anyone going to buy the 2015? No V-8. Only the 3.5 Ecoboost.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #2

I have a 2013 el with ez-lift 1k/10000. tt loaded is 5400. No plans for a new since its been less than a year since I bought it. Only have 35,000 on it. Love the vehicle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forest River Forums mobile app

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
CLT

Your TT looks almost identical to the Dutchmen Aspen Trail we looked at. Killer price too. Decided to go up a notch to a double slide instead, otherwise I liked that plan.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #4

Hello all, looking for advice. I have a 2012 Expedition and I am looking at a 2012 Prime Time Tracer 2900BHS. Can I pull it safely? I'm new to the RV world and I don't want to go with what a dealer says without some external advice.
TonyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #5

Here are the stats:

Dry Weight: 5,688
Max Payload: 1,957
Total: 7,645
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
CLT

I was unable to find your 2012 model on their website. I was looking for the length of the TT. I wouldn't be comfortable towing it if it was over 30 feet tip to tail with an Expedition and especially not if it were a regular wheelbase Expy. Do you have the Expedition EL or the standard wheelbase model?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
CLT

One other thing: do you have the factory towing package?
Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

Thank you so much for responding!

Mine is not an EL. I have a round 7 plug because I have a trailer to haul my small tractor (29 hp New Holland) So I also have electric brake controller and weight distributing hitch. Here is a link to the TT: 2012 Prime Time Manufacturing Tracer Executive 2900 BHS Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
CLT

But do you have the factory tow package? An easy way to tell on the 2013 is if you have a built-in brake controller. Or is your controller one that you purchased separately?

The weight of the TT unloaded looks to be about what mine is. Also the hitch weight is similar. My concern comes from the fact that you have 119" of wheelbase vs 131" That may not seem like a lot, but it is. Plus you are looking into a longer TT than I have. Mine is 28 feet tip to tail.

When I was at a local shop that does RV repair and storage, the guy was telling me about how he had a customer who had a regular length Expedition who bought a larger TT and it didn't haul well at all, then he upgraded to the Expedition EL and it towed great using the same hitch. Don't know if he was just giving me a story or what, but that's what he said.

If it were me and that setup, I'd make sure I was using the most premium of hitches (Hensley Arrow) and great truck tires. I'm no expert, just going by what I've researched myself prior to my purchase.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #10

Yes, it is factory. I had to add the brake controller and the 7 blade plug. My hitches are Pro Series. What makes one set better than another? As far as being an expert, compared to me, you may as well have invented TT's!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
Yes, it is factory. I had to add the brake controller and the 7 blade plug. My hitches are Pro Series. What makes one set better than another? As far as being an expert, compared to me, you may as well have invented TT's!
I'm not convinced you have the factory tow package. I thought all of the 2013s ordered with the Heavy Duty Trailer Tow package had the built in brake controller right by the shifter. I also know for sure that they all came with the 7 way on that package.

Go to this link and type your VIN in the box to generate a vehicle window sticker and make sure it is on the list of installed options.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #12

Agree with CLT. Did you purchase new? Have you looked up your VIN to see if the HD tow package is on the vehicle?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forest River Forums mobile app

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #13

I bought a 1998 Expedition. Great vehicle, and you cannot wear them out. I special ordered it with leather as the only option--single a/c and no 3rd seat. It cost me (as a Ford employee) $24.5K, and the 4.6 motor got 19.75 mpg on its first trip.

You're fine pulling the travel trailer mentioned above with an Expedition.

I recently was looking at SUV's, but all the local Expeditions were selling for $52K. I saved $20K on a new Explorer XLT with every option and Navigation package. But my tow vehicle is a F250 Lariat crewcab diesel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
Thank you so much for responding!

Mine is not an EL. I have a round 7 plug because I have a trailer to haul my small tractor (29 hp New Holland) So I also have electric brake controller and weight distributing hitch. Here is a link to the TT: 2012 Prime Time Manufacturing Tracer Executive 2900 BHS Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide Thanks again.
What is the Payload rating on your Expedition, and what do anticipate hauling inside the truck when you are camping? Our 2013 XLT 2wd has a payload rating of ~1550 lbs. At 683 dry hitch weight, I am guessing this thing will be close to 800 lbs with propane tanks, battery and your gear. 1550-800 (hitch) - 600 (people) - 100 (WDH hitch) = 50 lbs of remaining payload. If you have 4wd, figure you are going to be overloaded. Either way, you will need to use weight distribution with sway control for sure.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #15

I just switched tow vehicles from a GMC crew cab pickup to an Expedition. I was a little concerned about the impact of the shorter wheelbase as well as larger wheels and P rated tires, but the Expedition just makes more sense for our family. We have a 28 ft total length Surveyor SP260 trailer. I just towed for the first time this past weekend. It took a while to get the hitch and weight distribution dialed in but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Expedition did. Towing was a mix of highway and back roads and I didn't notice a significant difference between the two tow vehicles. If anything I would say the Expy towed a little better on the 30-55 mph back roads and the GMC truck was a little better on the highway although that is really picking nits. The highway speed limit was 70 mph and while we were going 60 everyone else was going 70+ and I had no sway conditions that were concerning. At this point I am happy with the Expy towing our trailer and when the time comes, will change to LT tires but I am not running to the tire dealer, especially since I am replacing all 5 trailer tires this week.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chof16 View Post
I just switched tow vehicles from a GMC crew cab pickup to an Expedition. I was a little concerned about the impact of the shorter wheelbase as well as larger wheels and P rated tires, but the Expedition just makes more sense for our family. We have a 28 ft total length Surveyor SP260 trailer. I just towed for the first time this past weekend. It took a while to get the hitch and weight distribution dialed in but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Expedition did. Towing was a mix of highway and back roads and I didn't notice a significant difference between the two tow vehicles. If anything I would say the Expy towed a little better on the 30-55 mph back roads and the GMC truck was a little better on the highway although that is really picking nits. The highway speed limit was 70 mph and while we were going 60 everyone else was going 70+ and I had no sway conditions that were concerning. At this point I am happy with the Expy towing our trailer and when the time comes, will change to LT tires but I am not running to the tire dealer, especially since I am replacing all 5 trailer tires this week.
When you get new tires, I highly recommend these: LTX M/S2 | Michelin Tires

Were you able to get your setup to the scales and weigh? I was wondering what weight you were able to get to your front axle.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
Incheon, S. Korea

I have to giggle at the wheelbase concerns.
It's all about the sum of the parts-GCWR, payload, engine size, tongue weight, WDH, brake settings, and the tires on the the TV and the trailer.
My old (70's ?) International shortbed dually was miniature compared to the gooseneck tiltbeds(with a JLG on it) and the regular flatbed trailers I used at my company without issues.
Go to the scales when they aren't busy and find out your actual weights. And get a tranny cooler!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I have to giggle at the wheelbase concerns.
It's all about the sum of the parts-GCWR, payload, engine size, tongue weight, WDH, brake settings, and the tires on the the TV and the trailer.
My old (70's ?) International shortbed dually was miniature compared to the gooseneck tiltbeds(with a JLG on it) and the regular flatbed trailers I used at my company without issues.
Go to the scales when they aren't busy and find out your actual weights. And get a tranny cooler!
Well, wheelbase = stability. Plus it's something you can't change after you purchase the vehicle. Brake controller, tires, WDH, transmission cooler, etc can all be changed. But it is just one part of the equation. 1970s vehicles don't carry the same highway speeds as today's vehicles do so that's like comparing fresh apples to really old ones. Times have changed, so have highway speeds. Unless you're talking an early 70s muscle car engine (really early) then most trucks back then couldn't even reach 65 MPH loaded with a TT.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #19

I have not been to a scale yet with the new setup. I was able to get it almost dead level for both Expy and trailer fully loaded but the scales are on the list. The Expy actually has a notably higher tow capacity than the GMC truck (9200 lbs vs 7800 lbs) but I fully understand the axle weights, etc are also in play. I am good based on hand calcs and previous scale weights.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #20

We have a 2007 Exp with HD tow. Have a 2015 Keystone Outback Terrain 250TRS on order(coming of the factory floor Thursday 6-12-14)! Dealer has someone picking it up Monday, so hopefully have it by the end of next week.

The 250TRS is 27.5' and ~ 5500lb out the door so maybe 7000lbs ready to go. We will be close on cargo weight but hopefully she tows well. Our current HTT is only 22.5' so it's a big step up.

Any thoughts on this combo?
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote