Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

Ford Explorer towing UTV set up questions

Hey all you WDH/sway experts, and I mean that seriously.

I’m think about having my wife tow our 1800 lb side by side on a 1000 lb single axle (3500#) 6x10 utility trailer with her 2018 Ford Explorer. (I tow the travel trailer she tows the UTV, short trips 1-2 hours)

Her Explorer has a class III hitch and the factory tow package installed and specs out to 5000 capacity using a WDH hitch. (2000 without WDH) Payload is 1376 per sticker.

She has limited towing experience and I would want the set-up to be as rock solid as possible. My biggest concern would be sway as she wouldn’t know what to do if it happens. (No brakes on the trailer)

I’m considering this Reese hitch shown in the link below but please let me know if you have another suggestion. Also any other info you feel relevant. I’m kinda at a loss here as I have always towed with pickups and never considered towing with a SUV, particularly the Explorer sized SUV.

Thanks all......

PS this is the trailer I am considering.
https://www.spokanenorthtrailers.com...-BAoi|ZYf.html

This is the Reese hitch.
https://www.etrailer.com/p-66557.html
Old 05-20-2020, 04:12 AM   #2
DSS

My wife tows our 1600 pound UTV on a single axle trailer with our Honda C-RV 3-4 times a year with no problems. We loaded the UTV on the trailer and did some practice runs with her driving so she felt comfortable with towing. If you have your trailer loaded properly you shouldn’t have any problems. The weight distribution hitches that you are referring to are for heavy trailers. We are just using a standard ball hitch with no problems.
DSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
Mopar Guy

maybe a WDH but I would not do sway control, It would be serious overkill.

If it were me, id be loading it up, getting it centered with good tongue weight and tow it without WDH or sway
Cost4133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #4

You might consider a test run with normal hitch first. It’s possible to transfer too much weight. After a few runs or even after first hook up you will know if you will need it. I also assume that where and how you load the side by side will influence tongue weight and thus handling of the trailer
Old 05-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #5

I would be looking for a trailer with some brakes on it.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #6

I own 6 trailers and the wife towed the open one with the golf cart. WDH is not needed. But sway control might be a good idea.

Having said that, After towing with a small SUV, Ranger PU and other cars. I personally would not worry about any of it.

Education of how to tow and the differences are very important. Longer stopping distances, wider turning swing, length, etc.

More than anything loading and tieing it down properly are the most important !!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #7

Thank you everybody for the helpful replies.

Our UTV is about the same size as the 6x10 trailer I’m considering so there is no ability to distribute weight on the trailer. It will be what it is. If fact, if I buy this trailer I plan to take my UTV to the dealer and load it first, it’s that close.

Would love to have brakes on the trailer but the Explorer does not have a controller. I can add one but the cost is a consideration.

I like the idea of giving it a try without WDH first and will probably go that route. My sway concern is that these side by sides have rear engines so will be rear heavy on the trailer. I have an 18 ft dual axle car hauler I use when I need to tow the side by side but it’s too heavy for the Explorer.

Please keep the reply’s coming, thanks.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #8

Can the side by side be backed on to keep more of the weight in front of the axle ?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #9

Obviously you need to make sure this goes well.

I think the main thing is going to be making sure you have the side by side loaded properly as far as that balance of proper tongue weight and not too much behind the axles vs. too much tongue weight and making the Explorer squat/be over payload or rear axle numbers.

So a trip to the scales with it loaded engine side toward the front would be my suggestion to get numbers you can adjust from. Last thing you want is to have it loaded improperly and start swaying with her with no trailer brakes to tap and little to no experience in what to do in that situation.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #10

Nice trailer choice. I especially like how they moved the tongue jack back so you can easily open a truck tailgate or SUV hatch.
The WDH is nice but you can get one of the others much cheaper. Just get one with the bars that lay on frame platforms, those are the ones with the engineered in sway control. Those with chain hung bars do not. I like my Husky Centerline TS but I bought it used so new price? But I can upgrade it easily just buying new spring bars and a bigger ball, if required.
Ford 2019 Towing Guide does state 200/2000# maximum without a WDH. Bummer.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
Thank you everybody for the helpful replies.

Our UTV is about the same size as the 6x10 trailer I’m considering so there is no ability to distribute weight on the trailer. It will be what it is. If fact, if I buy this trailer I plan to take my UTV to the dealer and load it first, it’s that close.

Would love to have brakes on the trailer but the Explorer does not have a controller. I can add one but the cost is a consideration.

I like the idea of giving it a try without WDH first and will probably go that route. My sway concern is that these side by sides have rear engines so will be rear heavy on the trailer. I have an 18 ft dual axle car hauler I use when I need to tow the side by side but it’s too heavy for the Explorer.

Please keep the reply’s coming, thanks.
From the E.Trailer web site:
Any trailer over 3000-lbs must have brakes on all wheels in most states, but laws do vary. Some states require braked axles on trailers with a GVW as low as 2000-lbs; other states have a higher limit. It is best to check with authorities in your local area.

The weight of the tow vehicle can come into play here too. Often the gross weight of any such trailer without brakes is not to exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #12

I see the trailer has a 3500# axle but is limited to 2990 GTWR.
I know what that means
Does WA have a legal limit that requires trailer brakes at 3000#?
PA does. I had a similarly axled and rated 10x6x6' cargo trailer.

That said, I strongly recommend you take your wife out with the loaded trailer with WDH a few times on some empty roads or large empty parking lot to practice towing and stopping, included panic stops at 35-40 mph. Make sure the UTV is really securely striped down. This is not to scare her but get her used to needing more gap between vehicles in front or stopping short for traffic lights (or knowing when to blow through yellows). Actually you should do it first with you driving, her a passenger, to build up the training confidence.

I was in a band, towing my no brakes cargo trailer filled, likely well over 3K# AND the SUV back filled & 4 band members. I had to do a few panic stops and that trailer pushed the SUV VERY NOTICABLY. Punchline to this non-joke, the SUV was a 1998 Ford Expedition 5.4V8 3.73 with towing package.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:07 PM   #13

The pucker factor of knowing my wife was coming downhill off the highway behind me towing a 3500# load with no brakes would not be worth it.
I know that towing our 3500#loaded TT with our F150 without the brakes plugged in is very noticeable, I don't like driving it with out the WDH either. Not much difference between an Explorer and an F150 when towing.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #14

I’m a female and have towed my Polaris with my Ford Explorer and a 6x12 utility trailer many times. I have a standard ball hitch on my vehicle and travel through the mountains and canyons, no problem.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Nice trailer choice. I especially like how they moved the tongue jack back so you can easily open a truck tailgate or SUV hatch.
The WDH is nice but you can get one of the others much cheaper. Just get one with the bars that lay on frame platforms, those are the ones with the engineered in sway control. Those with chain hung bars do not. I like my Husky Centerline TS but I bought it used so new price? But I can upgrade it easily just buying new spring bars and a bigger ball, if required.
Ford 2019 Towing Guide does state 200/2000# maximum without a WDH. Bummer.

I too like the set back jack however I’m concerned that the set back support may interfere with the WDH mounts. The specs on the Reese linked above shows 27 - 32 inches from the coupler is the area to locate the mounts. This Reese is as you said, the bars rest on the frame mounts. In fact, the mounts have a friction pad installed for the bar to adhere to to reduce sway. It is available on Amazon for under $500 but I linked the Etrailer ad since it contains tons of info.

Washington has a limit of 3000 lbs for trailers without brakes. While this axle is the Dexter 3500 lb the trailer itself can only be rated for 2990 without brakes. This works for me, my Ranger is 1560 dry (I figure 1800 as I have it set up) and the trailer itself is 990. So I will be under 2990 and in compliance with WA-DOT requirements.

As much as I like the suggestions to give it a try without WDH I forgot that Ford Specs the Explorer set up as mine, 3.5 V6 non turbo XLT 4wd, with a max nonWDH trailer at 2000 lbs and 200 tongue. I’ll be at 2800 with an unknown tongue weight but I’m sure it will be greater than 200. NUTS.

I forgot to look up the weight of the Explorer but I’m thinking my trailer/UTV will be more like 60 - 70% of the vehicle weight. I'll look it up to be sure. Brakes sure would be nice.

Thanks again for everybody’s insight and please keep your thoughts and suggestions coming.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #16

Not a gender issue.
MY 2008 Explorer, still somewhat truck based, is rated to not need a WDH till 5K#. I was surprised by the over 2K# needs a WDH on the new Explorers.
What year is your Explorer?
Old 05-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I’m a female and have towed my Polaris with my Ford Explorer and a 6x12 utility trailer many times. I have a standard ball hitch on my vehicle and travel through the mountains and canyons, no problem.
That’s encouraging. My wife is game to take this on and I don’t think she will have any problem with confidence, I just want to make it as safe as possible. It will just be new to her somewhat. In her younger days she towed a uhaul trailer from LA to Spokane Wa and did fine. This was behind a car, not an SUV like her Explorer.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Not a gender issue.
MY 2008 Explorer, still somewhat truck based, is rated to not need a WDH till 5K#. I was surprised by the over 2K# needs a WDH on the new Explorers.
What year is your Explorer?
It’s a 2018, XLT 3.5 non turbo V6, 4WD. Back in the day Explorers were build on the Ranger truck frames and were much more beefier. Now they are unibody and more like a car than a small truck. Coil rear springs and ours has 255-50r20 tires which look good but no so much for towing. Normal psi is 35 and the sidewall shows 51 max.

Agreed, not a gender issue at all. I wouldn’t want to tow a load over specs with it myself and would never put my wife in that position.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #19

Spoke with a different trailer dealer and was quoted $500 to install brakes on a single axle trailer. This dealer sells the Big Tex brand (that are pre-prepped for brakes)
trailers which I like. His price with brakes installed is $2150 which is only $200 more than the non-brake trailer I looked at. However having brakes will required installing a controller, another $100 - $200.......

This is getting expensive. I'm at about $3,000 to be set up perfectly.

I was planning on buying a 5x8 trailer for around $1500 anyway so I guess I’m only out an additional $1500 with more towing flexibility.

Might just have to stay with the current method, drive 1.5 hours with the travel trailer, set up, drive 1.5 hours back home, drive 1.5 hours back to camp with the car hauler trailer, enjoy camp, drive 1.5 hours back with the car hauler, drive 1.5 hours back to camp, drive 1.5 hours back with the travel trailer, have a beer!!!

Am I nuts?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchdog View Post
Spoke with a different trailer dealer and was quoted $500 to install brakes on a single axle trailer. This dealer sells the Big Tex brand (that are pre-prepped for brakes)
trailers which I like. His price with brakes installed is $2150 which is only $200 more than the non-brake trailer I looked at. However having brakes will required installing a controller, another $100 - $200.......

This is getting expensive. I'm at about $3,000 to be set up perfectly.

I was planning on buying a 5x8 trailer for around $1500 anyway so I guess I’m only out an additional $1500 with more towing flexibility.

Am I nuts?
On the last question, I am not certified to make that judgement

If that trailer is one you prefer, +$200 is a bargain. $500 is not a bad price to have someone else add and wire the brakes.

The factory class 4 tow package should have the wiring for trailer brakes. Do you have a 7 pin connector already there? If so, about $120-125 for a progressive (Key word) brake controller and possibly $15 for a wiring adapter, if needed.

5X8' is useful but 6x10' allows you to load much easier.

Tags
ford, towing