Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #1

Ford integrated brake controller

We will be picking up a new to us used trailer this weekend to replace our pop up trailer. My question is those who tow with a F150 with factory brake controller, does it seem to be light on the trailer brakes or is that it just feels that way due to it being engineered into the trucks operating system be not using more trailer brakes than needed? So those of you towing with F150 with factory controller what are your thoughts on performance?

I guess my internet browsing in anticipation of the new trailer has got me overthinking some things.
Gollywomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #2

What setting it is on?

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

Depending on the year. Newer model fords have 2 adjustments. The boost/effort can be set to low, med, high along with the gain up to 10. We started at med boost/effort and 4 gain. Increased gain to 6 for the passed year.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollywomper View Post
We will be picking up a new to us used trailer this weekend to replace our pop up trailer. My question is those who tow with a F150 with factory brake controller, does it seem to be light on the trailer brakes or is that it just feels that way due to it being engineered into the trucks operating system be not using more trailer brakes than needed? So those of you towing with F150 with factory controller what are your thoughts on performance?

I guess my internet browsing in anticipation of the new trailer has got me overthinking some things.
They are adjustable...little +/- buttons right next to manual control slide. I have a GMC, but I think the controllers are about the same. I run mine and 8.0 gain on my 36' Cherokee at just shy of 10,000lbs. Had my first integrated on my 2013 Silverado and it's so much better than the under dash knee buster controllers I used before.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #5

Read down a bit about effort vs gain. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1684894&div=f
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Read down a bit about effort vs gain. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1684894&div=f
Both my Silver and Jimmy just have gain function and nothing else to adjust.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #7

Very happy you brought this up Golly! I have a '16 f150 with integrated trailer brake controller (itbc) too. If no one has the answers maybe we can share experiences and find the answers. Here is what I have found out...

Almost everyone on all the different f150 forums agree that the oem itbc is the best thing available at the moment. Yes even the diesel guys are saying the oem controller is better than any aftermarket. So the good news is no need for upgrade.

We have a grey wolf 23dbh which is somewhere about 5400lbs empty but realistically 6,000lbs or a little heavier with gear ( I think need to hit scales though). Started off with effort on low and gain on 6.5. We are now experimenting with effort on medium and gain on 6.5.

I have a feeling medium @6.5 will be for normal driving and low @ 6.5 will be for the rain.... but I don't know this. I am hoping it will work out this way because if it starts raining it is about 3 clicks and your now on low.

What I can say is 6.5 on low seemed to slow the truck down well enough but I feel we are getting pushed a tad. There is room for improvement for sure. Anyhow that's our plan, anyone else who uses the ford oem itbc please share settings + weights.
Blackcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollywomper View Post

I have a 2016 F150, 2017 Vlite 30WIKSS (8000lbs), Propride hitch with OEM trailer brake controller. Works great!
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #9

the factory controller on my f150 ecoboost worked very well.
When I traded it for a new ram 2500 4 months ago, also with the factory controller I figured it would be similar. It's not. The factory controller on the Ram just doesn't work as well as the Ford's.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #10

oem ford brake controller

I have a 2012 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.0 V8 with the oem brake controller. My brake controller does not have an adjustment for pedal pressure, only gain setting. My gain is set at 9.5 and does not lock up the trailer brakes on pavement.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown View Post
I have a 2012 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.0 V8 with the oem brake controller. My brake controller does not have an adjustment for pedal pressure, only gain setting. My gain is set at 9.5 and does not lock up the trailer brakes on pavement.

Try squeezing the manual knob bypassing the antilock system and see if it locks up. Your truck has antilock brakes with the brake controller using the same brain.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #12

2012 F150 brakes

It slows the truck down significantly but won't lock up 3 ton trailer brakes.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

I have a 2014 GMC 2500HD Sierra Diesel...my routine is to pull out of driveway and for about a half mile or so, I manually activate the trailer brakes to warm them up. Then I see how they feel and if they're locking up. They'd lock up my Jayco at about 6.5 to 7 at 6500lbs. I've had it up to 9.5 with my 2018 Cherokee...just south of 10,000lbs. and it doesn't lock...it pulls back hard enough...but it doesn't lock. I'm running about 7.5 to 8.0 on normal driving.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #14

Thanks for the replys. I only have my small pop up trailer at this time but we are looking to upgrade. Seems to work good with our trailer, but with the small 7" brakes they are marginal at best. They do stop the trailer. But reading various online posts seem there was some complaints on the factory controller. Seems many of those were on the earlier models before being able to adjust power and gain. As well as some being trailer issues as well. Along with the factory controller being a little "smarter" than the aftermarket. Will see when we find the "right" trailer for our needs.
Gollywomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #15

I just purchased a 2013 F-150 to tow my 2018 Coachman Apex. We recently completed our first trip of about 500 miles. Our trailer is just shy of 5000 lbs empty. I used the brakes to get them to operating temp before manually applying the brakes. I was not able to get the brakes to lock up. I ran my gain at 9.0 and that seemed OK . I could not actually tell how much the trailer breaks were helping.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #16

The F-150 Trailer Brake Controller works great and has all the flexability to adjust to your preference.

You can slect Low, Medium or High response and then set Gain as well.

I like High response. That seems to brake the trailer just before the truck. My Gain is on 8.5. Loaded weight on our Rockwood is about 7800 LBS.

Follow the owners manual to adjust your Gain and then try the different settings for response to find what you like.

2021 Coachmen Encore 325SS

2019 Edge ST
Herowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #17

Ford Trailer Brakes

My 2011 F 150 requires an 8+ to stop my TT which is about 7,400 lbs dry. Have heard similar reports from other owners.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #18

We have a Chevy Silverado with integrated brake controller. They work about the same as Ford. The real feature of these is that it integrates the TV bakes with the trailer brakes. I would insist on this feature on any future TV.

It was a disappointment when we bought our Sunseeker on an E450 cutaway. Integrated brake controllers are available but only on a factory build. They can not be added once the chassis leaves the factory. Ford F series integrated brake controllers are available aftermarket via Ford dealers on ebay. The F and E do not interchange even though they are located on top center of the dash.

If you have one on the vehicle you are purchasing, you will love it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #19

We previously had a 2014 F-150 towing a typically loaded 6,200# TT. We have since towed two 5ers with our 2016 F-250, one that weighed about 9,200# and the latest weighs in at 13,500# ready to hit the trail. In all combinations of TVs and TTs what worked best for me was and is an Effort Setting of "High", and a Gain of "9". These were also the best settings for the 2012 or '13 F-150 for towing of our smaller 5er which I set up for the purchaser. Coincidence I suppose, but here was my process in arriving at those settings...

First, I followed the vehicle owner's manual recommendations like those linked by Retired JSO. I made the 'drag test' on dry asphalt pavement and discovered in all cases that trailer brakes would not lock up with full gain of "10", and that a gain of "9" had a subjective good feel. Then I made a number of test stops or slowing at various speeds and braking applications (pedal pressure). These led me to set the "Effort" value in all cases to "High".

As a final check of trailer braking performance I compared the typical pedal effort to make stops of varying types with and without the trailer(s) hitched. In all variations of trucks and trailers the settings I ended with resulted in little to no perceivable difference in braking performance or "feel" whether towing or not. There has also been no chucking, pushing or pulling of the TVs by the trailers.

A final note of something that has given me great confidence in Ford's integrated controller... I had concerns about the seeming failure of the system to provide adequate braking since I was never able to get the trailer brakes to lock or nearly lock when performing the 'drag test'. In real world conditions of several required brake slams due to some a$$wipe's dumb driver trick I have had the trailer brakes momentarily chirp the tires as the truck's anti-lock became active followed by the trailer's hard but controlled braking with no control issues with the rig. Is there some additional magic being performed by the brake controller such as anti-lock recognition, or an accelerometer input, or ??? I don't know, but I have full confidence in Ford's system.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #20

We have a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost with heavy tow package. I've wondered the same thing but never had a problem towing 35' 9,500 lb rigs. I probably should calibrate it prior to our 6,000 mile road trip in 3 more weeks. Mine says the gain is 10. I've seen other posts where the gain is 1/2 that. Again, no jerky stops, no pushing the truck, either. ??
jrmartin67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, ford