Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #1

Ford Pro Backup issue-only works straight back

Never had one but when my 12 F250 was totaled I got a 22 F250 with the Backup package. I have a 22RR toyhauler and placed the "sticker" as far back on the left side as possible. The gas tank bracket prevents it from being more than 10" centered which is supposed to be in spec. Anyway, it calibrated fine but when I back up and turn the knob it loses detection and fails. Any ideas with the experts? I'll just back up as normal this weekend but I paid over a grand for this feature. I'm letting my dealer know but I thought I'd ask here in the "real" world.

John in Michigan
uchytil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
llr

Does the trailer jack block the view of the sticker? It did on my Flagstaff, haven't tried on my Grand Design yet. I have thought about setting it up twice on the trailer, one sticker on each side of the jack, then setting up 2 trailers in the PTBA and cover one sticker and select the "other trailer" when backing.

I really like it on my small utility trailer.
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:10 PM   #3

Let us know if you figure it out. I haven't bothered setting mine up yet but was curious how to get the sticker far enough back to be effective.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #4

It may be the jack. I thought of that. I don’t know what you mean about selecting the other trailer? 2 stickers? Interesting if it works. Maybe explain in more detail?
Old 05-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
Let us know if you figure it out. I haven't bothered setting mine up yet but was curious how to get the sticker far enough back to be effective.
fixed

It’s supposed to be 7-20 inches. I could barely get 7 and then the specs say minimum of 9.5 inches to the center when the camera reads it. Mine was 10 inches to the center. I wonder if my power Jack blocks the view when I turn?
Old 05-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #6

I sure hope I can solve this as this is my only trailer and itís an expensive option not to work.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #7

I've read numerous posts from folks who just gave up. I've also read that using the physical yaw sensor that was included for a while is more reliable. Maybe you can get your dealer to give you one.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:02 PM   #8

Back Up Assist

I've has no luck with the Back Up Assist on my Expedition. It is fine for backing straight in.
sholdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchytil View Post
Never had one but when my 12 F250 was totaled I got a 22 F250 with the Backup package. I have a 22RR toyhauler and placed the "sticker" as far back on the left side as possible. The gas tank bracket prevents it from being more than 10" centered which is supposed to be in spec. Anyway, it calibrated fine but when I back up and turn the knob it loses detection and fails. Any ideas with the experts? I'll just back up as normal this weekend but I paid over a grand for this feature. I'm letting my dealer know but I thought I'd ask here in the "real" world.

John in Michigan
I had this feature on my 2017 f150. (I no longer have this truck.) I found that it worked great in very simple situations where you probably didn't need it in the first place. However, in any situation that was the least bit complicated, it totally failed. I eventually gave up and stopped using it altogether. It's more marketing hype than anything else.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #10

I love my back up assist. Use it on several trailers. I have a roo 233s.

I have added a metal plate on one of my trailers so the sensor can be read at tighter angles etc. most likely the issue you are having is the sticker goes out of range when you are at an angle. The only solution is to find a more direct path. That is when I played around with a metal plate and just through trial and error found the right place.
Plan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:52 AM   #11

Also. Making sure the sticker is clean and the camera lense is clean helps.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Man View Post
I love my back up assist. Use it on several trailers. I have a roo 233s.

I have added a metal plate on one of my trailers so the sensor can be read at tighter angles etc. most likely the issue you are having is the sticker goes out of range when you are at an angle. The only solution is to find a more direct path. That is when I played around with a metal plate and just through trial and error found the right place.

Can you upload a picture of the metal plate solution? I would be interested in seeing how that worked.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
Can you upload a picture of the metal plate solution? I would be interested in seeing how that worked.
Sorry. Donít have that trailer anymore. I bought a thin metal plate about 4 by 4 attached the sticker and then screwed it onto the trailer just off center of where the triangle meets.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #14

I use the backup assist on my '21 F-150 with the yaw sensor (bought on e-bay) and feel that it works GREAT! I know it is an expensive option, $300+change, but this option is worth considering if the dealer won't give you one as SailorSam20500 suggested and the stickers never work to your satisfaction.
KerneySA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerneySA View Post
I use the backup assist on my '21 F-150 with the yaw sensor (bought on e-bay) and feel that it works GREAT! I know it is an expensive option, $300+change, but this option is worth considering if the dealer won't give you one as SailorSam20500 suggested and the stickers never work to your satisfaction.
How does that work, I mean with the installed package? Can you show a pic and how you set it up?
Old 05-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #16

I'm pretty sure it's the power jack obstructing the view plus the propane cylinder bracket makes it so you have to put the sticker close to the ball but still within spec. I'll try anything after this weekend, lol. Even if I have to remove the jack each time I tow (3 bolts, 1 zip tie, and unscrew the fuse holder). But if this yaw thing works maybe that?

I made a separate post about my power jack falling apart.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchytil View Post
How does that work, I mean with the installed package? Can you show a pic and how you set it up?
Please look at this video and let me know if you'd like more info on my setup which is not a tow behind and, officially, not supported:
KerneySA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:27 PM   #18

Gimmicks, gotta love them. Left is right an right is left, free and never failed me backing up everything from a 60í trailer down to a 6í utility trailer, that and driving a RAM
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:45 PM   #19

I agree with Mark Ulmer. It's marketing hype. The feature came with my F150 Max Towing Package. Its just as easy to back up as usual, hand on the bottom of the wheel and move in the direction you want the trailer to go.
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:48 PM   #20

Back up works great

Have a 2016 F150 with a 25ft TT. Placed sticker on "port" side of tongue just next too and slightly forward of jack. Part of the sticker is on the plate that bolts jack to trailer. Did all the measurements and data entry. Only rarely does it not pick up sticker. I then pull forward a bit to straighten trailer and then it reconnects. It works very reliably. However, if I am backing trailer to starboard and "jackknifed" (sharp angle between truck and trailer) sticker can become blocked by tongue jack. Same fix-pull ahead to straighten a bit. I'm not sure the distance from tailgate camera to sticker maybe 21/2 t0 3 ft. From ball center to sticker on frame-maybe 10-11 inches.
manndc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford