Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

Ford trailer hitch - safety chain connection

Still getting used to my new 2019 F250 Super Duty , while I am really enjoying the truck and all the nice features it has connecting the safety chains for our trailer has been a royal pain in the ASS!.
Not sure how any engineer or group of engineers thought the design of the hitch used on the new Fords was a great idea but the people that buy them have to live with them. After towing my trailer just twice I had enough of fighting with my safety chains to get them to attach properly.
While my wife had to work today I decided to take a trip to my two local RV centers and see what they had to correct the situation.
While both understood my issue as they see it all the time now neither one had a shackle big enough to fit through the hitch and fit properly.
Then one parts manager told me I was better off going to Tractor supply as they have a better selection of heavy duty shackles, so off I went... and he was correct, they have a fantastic selection!
The store I went to actually let me take a couple of different ones out to the parking lot to try on my truck before purchasing.
Found one that fit perfectly, went back in and picked up a pair.
They will make my life much easier!
If you are having the same issue I was go get yourself a set, they were about $12/ea.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

Got the same truck, Have been doing some research and I was going to do that same thing. Easily removed when you are not towing. If they rattle you can just put a ziptie on it so that it cant bounce around. Ill head to TS and get the same, they look very heavy duty.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Why shackles? My trailer chains hook directly to where you're connecting the shackles. No safety wire on the shackles?

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #4

I own a 2012 F250 I have the same problem, hooking up the chains is difficult when I have the hitch lock in place. I just keep my shackles attached to the chains and hook them up to the hitch before hooking the TT. works great. A little off topic, I always use a hitch lock for my hitch. I just keep it in place while I am camping as most campers do and of course keep it locked. While camping last year someone stole one . His hitch was not locked. Just a word to the wise. I am sure most use a lock.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I own a 2012 F250 I have the same problem, hooking up the chains is difficult when I have the hitch lock in place. I just keep my shackles attached to the chains and hook them up to the hitch before hooking the TT. works great. A little off topic, I always use a hitch lock for my hitch. I just keep it in place while I am camping as most campers do and of course keep it locked. While camping last year someone stole one . His hitch was not locked. Just a word to the wise. I am sure most use a lock.
I only leave the hitch on the truck while towing, the second the trailer is disconnected I take the hitch off... because I am always the first one to walk right into it!

2024 ML25SRK
Old 02-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
waybeck2018

Mt Biker, I do the same thing. As soon as the grandson takes the chains off, unplugs the power and winds the hitch up, Then I pull up and remove the hitch. He is 11 now. Next year, he can do the hitch as well! He loves to do the hook up including chains on the hitch installed chain slot.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

Sorry, but that's incredibly stupid. If you remove your hitch from your truck, how are you supposed to smash your shin into it later? Why even bother camping if you don't have a massive bruise and a grease stain in your jeans?

On a serious note ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
[...] The store I went to actually let me take a couple of different ones out to the parking lot to try on my truck before purchasing.
Found one that fit perfectly, went back in and picked up a pair. [...]
What size did you end up with on the shackles?

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
What size did you end up with on the shackles?
Not sure on the size or how you even are supposed to measure them, the only thing I know is they were the largest ones that tractor supply had on the shelf.
They are much larger than what my local Lowe’s and Home Depot stock.
The bolt that goes through the shackle fits perfectly through the slots on the hitch.

2024 ML25SRK
Old 02-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Ford trailer hitch - safety chain connection

The new design hitch is designed to take the hooks over instead of under slung. Point of hook enter the opening from the rear with the curved part of the hook facing up. The hitch opening at the back of the chain hole is larger than the front. If I still had my Toy Hauler, I’d take a picture.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
The new design hitch is designed to take the hooks over instead of under slung. Point of hook enter the opening from the rear with the curved part of the hook facing up. The hitch opening at the back of the chain hole is larger than the front. If I still had my Toy Hauler, I’d take a picture.
Know how they are intended to work, can get the left side in pretty easy but the right side is a pain. Very difficult to get on and even harder to get off.
Not worth fighting with them and getting aggravated every time we tow our trailer, this solution will make it easier for me and that’s what I want.

2024 ML25SRK
Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #11

Same problem on my 150 I used an add link on mine worked fine I like yours better
Old 02-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
Mt Biker, I do the same thing. As soon as the grandson takes the chains off, unplugs the power and winds the hitch up, Then I pull up and remove the hitch. He is 11 now. Next year, he can do the hitch as well! He loves to do the hook up including chains on the hitch installed chain slot.
Yep, kids are neat- you can teach them tricks.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #13

Pardon the humor, but it's certainly more manly looking with those shackles in place.
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #14

I was instructed to not attach my breakaway wire to the receiver, but to the bumper. That way if the receiver comes off, the brakes will be activated because the wire is attached to the truck, not the receiver. My bumper has a ring that I attach the breakaway wire to. I suppose the ring is there for chains if you are using a bumper hitch. What is the likelyhood of the receiver coming off? Probably pretty small,but why not do as instructed.
hilfikerkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #15

I fought with it a short time . Then just bought a couple of the add a link, or whatever they're called and leave them on . They're heavier than the oem safety chain and I don't have to use a half dozen different angles to attach.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
I fought with it a short time . Then just bought a couple of the add a link, or whatever they're called and leave them on . They're heavier than the oem safety chain and I don't have to use a half dozen different angles to attach.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	197009
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilfikerkg View Post
I was instructed to not attach my breakaway wire to the receiver, but to the bumper. That way if the receiver comes off, the brakes will be activated because the wire is attached to the truck, not the receiver. My bumper has a ring that I attach the breakaway wire to. I suppose the ring is there for chains if you are using a bumper hitch. What is the likelyhood of the receiver coming off? Probably pretty small,but why not do as instructed.
I am pretty sure if the receiver hitch fails on the back of my truck while towing a trailer where the emergency brake cable is or is not connected to will be the least of my worries.

2024 ML25SRK
Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #18

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
I got the SS ones 3/8” Pleanty strong.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 PM   #19

You can get larger clevis hooks that fit in the thick steel that Ford uses on the receiver.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 AM   #20

My Ram has similar hooking points and it is a pain in the butt sometimes with the size of the stock chain hook opening. I had to get it just right from the bottom up and put the hook in from the back to front, but if the angle wasn't right the chains are tight and making it hard to do. I ended up doing similar to yours but with a couple of these in a heavy duty version:

Click image for larger version

Name:	e578afcd-627a-418b-bd8b-8dfd47a1dcb6.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	197042
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, hitch, safety, trailer