Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #1

Forest River Forester MBS for towing Jeep

I recently purchased a 2019 Forest River Forester MBS. The max tow rating is 4200 lbs, but I'm not entirely clear on the dynamics behind that.

I'm looking at buying a 2020 Jeep Wrangler. The curb weight is 4,025 lbs without fuel. With a full tank of gas, the weight will come in at just about 4,164 lbs. Tack on 35 lbs for a tow hitch, and I'm just under the 4200 lb rating.

Any professionals out there who can give me an opinion on this? Am I safe to tow this vehicle?

Thanks!
TripRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #2

The tow rating comes from the MBS 3500 chassis weight ratings of a GVWR of 11030 pounds, and a GCWR of 15,250, the difference being close to 4200 pounds.

Have you also factored in the weight of a braking system added to the Jeep? It would be light, but still part of the equation.

In the end, the toad is either under 4200 pounds, or it is over.

It’s not uncommon for responses to MBS weight questions to be that the owners know they are overweight, but it works fine so they are happy anyway.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #3

BehindBars, thanks so much for bringing this up. I had not considered that, but after a bit of quick research, it looks like an aftermarket breaking system would only add a couple of pounds as it's almost entirely electronics and wiring.

I'm wondering if I should buy a soft-top for the jeep for use when towing, and the hard-top to use when back in town. It would shave off 100 lbs or so...
TripRoader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, forester, jeep, towing