Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #1

FR3 30 Choosing a Toad - Need real world help!

Hi all,

I am new to the Class A but have had numerous travel trailers in the past.

I need to get a Toad in place but I just can't seem to decide which way to go. I am hoping that others can provide some real world insight into which way I could go. Only looking at full trailer or flat tow.

I have a 2017 F150 Super Crew with a 6.5' bed which I know I can setup for a flat tow, but I am not convinced that this is the way to go based on the size of the truck. I have not weighed it, but pretty sure that my Curb weight is very close to the threshold of the 5k capacity with a 1/4 tank of gas and no beer in the fridge!

My thought on the trailer is that I can get a lightweight (1200 lb) trailer and put a small car on it that I already have (it's AWD, so need a full trailer). What I like about this option is that I can put other cars on the trailer etc.,

I could also opt to trade the car for a Jeep Wrangler and flat tow etc., instead of the F150. I would do this based on the flat tow definitely seems easier in the grand scheme of it like most people say.

My real question is what experience can be shared with me on the pros and cons of each option in the real world!

I don't mind having to move a trailer to a holding lot at certain parks when we are there for an extended stay, or opting for a pull-through when possible to keep it connected. However, maybe this isn't a good option if we travel around? I like the thought that I can back up the coach in a pinch without disconnecting vs. flat tow disconnecting.

Not sure about the comparison on wear and tear of trailer wheels vs. 4 down of the F150 or a Jeep Wrangler?

And of course, I don't want to spend a fortune! The F150 route is the easiest as I have it...and cheapest as I already have a Blue Ox brake. Also don't have to store the trailer and maintain it over time + maintain the vehicle.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Mathew
Mat30ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

This topic has been discussed more times than the number of members on the forum.

Everyone will submit that what they do is best. But it’s best for them.

In summation…..

Four wheels down is simplest, fastest , most costly, most limited by vehicle choice.

Let the discussions begin……..

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, toad