Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #1

FR3 34DS toad

Greetings!
We just purchased a 2020 FR3 34DS. It’s our first motor home after owning several travel trailers.

We are looking to purchase a vehicle to tow and are clueless where to start. Do you have any suggestions? We like to fish and have a dog who goes everywhere with us. Thinking a mid-size SUV?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Susan
Sdmerriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #2

Welcome.

This is such a common question it would make more sense to direct you to prior discussions on the subject. I suggest you type “toad” or “dinghy” in the search box and start reading the resulting threads.

There are many things you need to decide before you narrow down a vehicle. Do you want to flat tow, use a dolly, or a trailer? Do you insist on an automatic transmission or is a manual OK?

If you just ask the audience what you should tow, you will just get 30 or 40 different suggestions and you’ll be no closer to making a decision than you are now. You need to narrow down your personal preferences first.

The Dinghy Towing Guide will give you some guidance. https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...yGuide2020.pdf
Old 06-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Biggest question is.......how much money you got?
Seriously......new, used, car, SUV, dolly, trailer, flat tow.

There’s so many variables. Just search the word “toad”

Good luck.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmerriott View Post
Greetings!
We just purchased a 2020 FR3 34DS. It’s our first motor home after owning several travel trailers.

We are looking to purchase a vehicle to tow and are clueless where to start. Do you have any suggestions? We like to fish and have a dog who goes everywhere with us. Thinking a mid-size SUV?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Susan
Howdy, I am in the exact same search. 2020 FR3 34DS. One thing I quickly discovered is our rigs only have a tow capacity of 5000lbs. That includes the vehicle, and dolly, trailer or connecting bars whatever you decide to do. Our mid-size SUV, is a 2017 GMC Arcadia. It’s gross weight is 6000lbs. A slight oversight on my part. Suggest you don't make the same mistake.
Winddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #5

You can flat tow your GMC Acadia.

I have a 2013 Acadia Denali and it's under 5,000 lbs. Dont tow it with a full tank of gas to save weight. Your manual has instructions to flat tow.

You dont need to buy a toad. Just the base plates, tow bar, braking system. Just got a quote this spring, will cost your about $4500 with a dealer installation and setup.

If you want my exact quote for equipment PM me with your email address and I'll send it. I opted for the highest end equipment and sone accessories si my quote is higher.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #6

Howdy Parise, Thanks for your feedback, I have given it some consideration but have done a lot of towing in my life and think it best not to push my luck. If the FR-53 chassis had some of Fords technology for towing built in, like my F150 does, I might be tempted but for now I think I am better off finding something else. BTW, My 2017 Acadia Denali is 6001 lbs. Posted on the door panel and verified at the local CAT scales. My FR3 34DS is rated for 5000lbs towing, which means I am 20% over the limit before I add any type of equipment. If I were closer to the 5kweight I might be temped to give it a try.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #7

Ok, good luck with your choice!
Old 07-01-2020, 03:28 PM   #8

Ok, 2 things bothered me about your post on your Acadia weight as it relates to being towed by your MH.

1. If you are looking at the inside driver door placard for the Base Curb Weight you wont find it there. What is on the placard is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating which is entirely different. You need to know the Base Curb Weight and then determine if your hitch capacity is equal to or greater than that and you need to know that the vehicle you are towing is less than your MH Gross Carrying Capacity Weight Rating.

2. If you weighed your Acadia on a scale was it carrying passengers and cargo? The Base Curb Weight for all 2013 Acadias (I know yours is a 2017 but GMC has been making them lighter and smaller just recently) is between 4,660 and 4,850 lbs.

The GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Traverse, and Buick Enclave - all GM cousins, are popular towing vehicles. If you search this forum you will find posts attesting to this.

Chris
Old 07-03-2020, 03:23 PM   #9

Thanks for the heads up Lynn! We are so confused and it seems like there isn't a perfect solution Worst case is we end up getting to our destination and renting a vehicle occasionally.

We had planned to purchase a new vehicle, perhaps a mid-size SUV to tow, but no one can give us a definitive answer on which vehicle is best for towing.

If you have any ideas, we are open!

Happy Fourth of July!!

Susan
Sdmerriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #10

Renting works with just a little planning. I hope you enjoy your new motorhome and make wonderful memories.

Chris
Old 07-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
Ok, 2 things bothered me about your post on your Acadia weight as it relates to being towed by your MH.

1. If you are looking at the inside driver door placard for the Base Curb Weight you wont find it there. What is on the placard is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating which is entirely different. You need to know the Base Curb Weight and then determine if your hitch capacity is equal to or greater than that and you need to know that the vehicle you are towing is less than your MH Gross Carrying Capacity Weight Rating.

2. If you weighed your Acadia on a scale was it carrying passengers and cargo? The Base Curb Weight for all 2013 Acadias (I know yours is a 2017 but GMC has been making them lighter and smaller just recently) is between 4,660 and 4,850 lbs.

The GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Traverse, and Buick Enclave - all GM cousins, are popular towing vehicles. If you search this forum you will find posts attesting to this.

Chris
HOwdy Chris,
Thanks for your reply. I know it is hard to believe, I did not believe it either at first, but yes my 2017 Acrdia Denali base curb weith is 6001lbs. This is in the manual, on the door tag and confirmed with actual weight at the Cat Scale. Tank was about 1/4 full, no passangers, no cargo in it. You can even search the web and find this spec.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #12

Here is just 1 example of information and articles which attest to the fact that a 2017 GMC Acadia is well below the Base Curb Weight you keep referring to.

If you can find information which shows your Base Curb Weight as 6001 lbs please post it.

Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200704-113519_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	233093
Old 07-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #13

Here's another one from Edmund's

Posting because theres a huge difference between the Base Curb Weight which includes a full tank of gas, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 6001 Lbs which you are looking at.

When you tow a vehicle you must use the Base Curb Weight for the Acadia.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200704-115426_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	233095
Old 07-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by parise View Post
Here is just 1 example of information and articles which attest to the fact that a 2017 GMC Acadia is well below the Base Curb Weight you keep referring to.

If you can find information which shows your Base Curb Weight as 6001 lbs please post it.

Chris Attachment 233093
Howdy Chris, Ok so I have gone back and looked at all my information on the weight of my Acadia, and it appears that I am indeed confusing curb weight with gross vehicle weight. The only thing that I cannot explain is why my Cat scale tag says 5600lbs, although it is pretty messy writing. I am hoping it really says 3600. I think what I am going to do is go weight it again with a full tank of gas, as the definition of curb weight says it includes a full tank of gas. The internet spec on curb weight, which I honestly don’t think I have ever seen before, says my 2017 Acadia Denali weighs 3956lbs, I will call it 4000lbs. My tow capacity of the FR3 is 5000lbs so all of this is great news for me. I really appreciate the education Chris, it just goes to show how great this form is, and how easy it is to get confused about things.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdmerriott View Post
Thanks for the heads up Lynn! We are so confused and it seems like there isn't a perfect solution Worst case is we end up getting to our destination and renting a vehicle occasionally.

We had planned to purchase a new vehicle, perhaps a mid-size SUV to tow, but no one can give us a definitive answer on which vehicle is best for towing.

If you have any ideas, we are open!

Happy Fourth of July!!

Susan
Howdy Susan, You might want to go back and read all of the post on this. I might have mislead you by confusing gross and curb weights. Be sure to post any questions to keep yourself out of trouble.

Tags
fr3, tow vehicle