Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
MColley

friction sway control vs. equalizer 4 pt

We are currently using 2 friction sway bars with our wdh to pull our grey wolf 26dbh. We are still getting a little more sway than we would like so we are considering upgrading to a equalizer 4pt. wdh with intergrated sway control. What I am wanting to know from those of you who have upgraded from the same type of set up how much real world difference does it make? The cost is around $700 so its not cheap but will be worth it if the change will actually make a considerable difference.

Yes, I am towing with a 2018 f150 xlt. 5.0v8. I realize that I am close to max but am not over. We never tow with tanks full. Trailer weighs out ready to go just under 7000. Have a 1900# payload capacity and its just the wife and I so we have plenty of room there. I also realize that in a perfect world we would use a 3/4 ton but I don't see anyone giving me one anytime soon. So until later I am trying to make our drive as solid as possible. The truck actually handles the camper really well, just the occasional sway with the wind or when big rigs go by. Looking for real world differences on the 2 set ups.

Thank you
MColley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #2

Have you weighed your current set up? Tried to move some weight forward?

I have an E4, I wouldn't have a hitch without built-in sway control. It's simple, works well, and I can drive comfortably pulling a 2509 with my F-150. I don't have to worry about taking the bars off before I back up, and don't have 4 things to put on and take off every time. They're made in America and have great Customer support.
nights camped 2019: 42. Miles towed: 4500.
2020: 35 2400
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

Sway control devices are really just aids. Sway control begins with matching tow vehicle and trailer, tow capability with trailer length and weight.

Before tossing money into different hitches and sway control it would be better to check the following:

Mechanical-

Is trailer suspension in good shape with no loose bushings, bolts, or brackets?

Tire's inflated per placard on side?

Are tow vehicle tires properly inflated?

Loading-

Is trailer load within limits stated on placard?

Is tongue weight proper? Recommended AT LEAST 10% of trailer weight and 12-15% is better.

Until you've checked the above it's very possible your sway problem will follow you even with a new hitch including sway control.

Last item, how fast are you going when sway becomes an issue. Different Tow Vehicle/Trailer combinations behave differently and sway may be difficult to control regardless when driving at speeds of 70+

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:03 PM   #4

If you want to completely eliminate sway at any speed, in any condition, get a ProPride 3p. Yes they are expensive but we’ll worth it. It doesn’t prevent or reduce sway like an equalizer. It makes it physically impossible for the trailer to sway.

I use one to pull a 13.5k lbs , 35 foot long toyhauler and I’ve pulled it through 40mph cross winds and between semi’s at 70mph and never experienced any sway at all. Even had a situation in a down pour when all 4 wheels of the truck hydroplaned and the truck moved sideways about 3 feet and the trailer tracked straight and true with absolutely no drama!

My wife who initially questioned spending $3k on a hitch, thanked me that day and is true believer now LOL!
SVTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:34 AM   #5

You will find many people use your set up with no issues, or acceptable issues. As others have said, make sure your set up is dialed in and weighed. I drove from Indiana to CA with your type of set up on our new MinLite. It generally was okay, but overall not comfortable for me. Trucks passing from either direction was the most unnerving. A few more trips and we decided to change. We opted for the Equalizer and are very happy with it. Set up was straightforward, CAT scale confirmed good distribution and the ride is great. Trucks are not even noticeable anymore. Mine is noisy, however. Small inconvenience.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #6

Equalizer Hitch

I have a 35 ft 2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite that I pull with a 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500. We have an Equalizer hitch. I absolutely love it. I have no sway issues whatsoever. Not affected by semi’s passing or coming at me. I get no movement at all. I would not have anything less, regardless of cost. You get what you pay for.
Nutz4OSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
llr

I am a firm believer in hitches with integrated sway control, Blue Ox Sway Pro in my case but there are several.

Being sure the hitch is properly setup as mentioned is critical no matter what hitch.

Are you sure it is sway and just push? Anything will be pushed and the larger sail size and lower weight make it worse. Even semis get pushed so this is not avoidable.

Sway is the rear of the trailer moving side to side, I had this on my prior TT so I downsized but am still a little larger then yours and I am comfortable with it behind my F150
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MColley View Post
We are currently using 2 friction sway bars with our wdh to pull our grey wolf 26dbh. We are still getting a little more sway than we would like so we are considering upgrading to a equalizer 4pt. wdh with intergrated sway control. What I am wanting to know from those of you who have upgraded from the same type of set up how much real world difference does it make? The cost is around $700 so its not cheap but will be worth it if the change will actually make a considerable difference.

Yes, I am towing with a 2018 f150 xlt. 5.0v8. I realize that I am close to max but am not over. We never tow with tanks full. Trailer weighs out ready to go just under 7000. Have a 1900# payload capacity and its just the wife and I so we have plenty of room there. I also realize that in a perfect world we would use a 3/4 ton but I don't see anyone giving me one anytime soon. So until later I am trying to make our drive as solid as possible. The truck actually handles the camper really well, just the occasional sway with the wind or when big rigs go by. Looking for real world differences on the 2 set ups.

Thank you
That doesn't sound like "sway". Sounds more like the dreaded "aero-push". A huge wall of air hitting your rig and getting underneath it and you lose your down-force.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #9

I really was more comfortable after we installed our Equalizer 4. The WDH we had before allowed our 30 +' TT to move us over a couple traffic lanes in a surprise cross wind gust. Never had the problem in high winds, trucks passing, side winds after changing to the E4.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
Site Team

My 4pt 1,000/10,000lbs Equal-i-zer WDH has been totally rock solid for nearly 16 years. But, back in 2006, it only cost $400.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #11
Enjoying Life

I've had a friction sway hitch and now have the Equalizer. There is no comparison, Equalizer hands down.

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #12

Just a couple of other things to consider. I installed a set of shocks on my trailer.It stopped 80% of side wind and big rig induced sway.A heavy gust of wind now move the truck and trailer over a bit with no sway.Much more control now. Stiffer side walls on the truck and trailer tires make a substantial difference too.You might also consider an upgrade on the TV shocks and sway bar. Hope you get the sway issue resolved. My next upgrade to my 16fq will be Goodyear endurance tires 1 size larger. Cheers Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #13

I have a 2500, and a grey wolf 26bh. I dont need WD, but needed to put one brake style sway on and still needed to add a second. With both adjusted to wind and or road conditions, i have no sway. Might need to tighten down more.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #14

E4

I agree w/ Teachtexas the E4 is far superior. We had it when we towed our 31' total length TT 8k w/ our Tundra over and then later w/ Ford Super Duty. No sway w/ either, very adjustable. Bang for your buck, excellent hitch. Sold the trailer, keep the hitch when we went to a 5 th. wheel, just in case.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #15

I pull my 2020 25rbhl with a Curt Tru-Track system. We also have a 2020 f150 v8.

We came from a smaller lighter trailer with 2 friction sway bars to this setup now. What I can tell you about mine is that it is "different".

I'm not familiar with the equalizer system but in my Curt, there is some kind of ball bearing deal that sits in a detent when in normal position. When the trailer starts to sway, and that bearing rides out of the detent, the natural force of the setup trys to put it back in. That is how I believe ours controls sway.

That said if the old trailer had a sway issue it was maybe you get out and adjust a chain link or tighten the sway bars up. In the new system you would basically have to set the whole thing up and try again. There isn't really an option for an "on the fly" adjustment.

Also, I believe I feel the sway more at times but I feel the hitch working to correct this. I know what this is. The DW on the other hand took more time to get used to it. As I adjusted load in the front storage and in side the trailer to adjust my tongue weight I seem to have come to a happy spot. I'm right about 900 lbs tongue weight right now.

My buddy has a similar wdh and a larger trailer than mine and he runs lighter weight bars than I do and says he has good results. I have yet to drive his combo so I am unsure.
{Tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #16

Ive used an ezlift wdh w friction that was okay. I had to remove the friction plate to back up, pita. Been using an equalizer wdh for 3 years now (20K) and have had zero issues.
Aerostaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, sway, sway control