Old 02-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I Ram 2500 with the V-10 engine ... 488 cu. In. or 8 L. and 400 horsepower.
I did love that engine ...... running empty at 80 MPH it would consistently get 18 MPG. Loaded, about 15 MPG and NEVER ran out of power.

Adding a few mods like headers/Boral Exhaust, K&N air filter, etc. and could up the HP to over 600 easy.
Wow! I had a 2001 Ram 2500 w/8L V-10 and couldnít get 18 mpg idling on a trailer with someone else towing it! Now, it WAS a great truck and it pulled like a beast. But would it pull with the 6.7 Cummins I have now, or get similar fuel economy? Nope, not even close!
jfspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #82

I pull 7/8 percent grades as well with a tuned Duramax and I know it tends to struggle sometimes. Stay with the LML.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #83

You guys need to check out the new Godzilla 7.3 gasser from Ford!
If/when I get a new HD truck - that will be my engine of choice with the 4.30 gears and 10 speed tranny...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randyís Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
You guys need to check out the new Godzilla 7.3 gasser from Ford!
If/when I get a new HD truck - that will be my engine of choice with the 4.30 gears and 10 speed tranny...
I would like to try one out just because.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:24 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
That is a GORGEOUS truck, I love that color.. But why only get 3338 lbs of payload when you can get 4400 LBS?
What version of the 2500 LTZ gets 4400lbs payload. Single cab 2w drive only shows 3762 lbs?

The 3338 is plenty for what and who I haul and have no plans to go to a fifth wheel. If I trade my TH, it will be for a class C and a boat, lol.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #86
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Ummmm....OP made up his mind and posted his decision back in post #11. No need to go on and on here.
Hahahaha!!! Good one itat! Surely you know that after the question is answered, the conversation will continue, much like around a campfire, until the booze is all gone....are you new here?
Old 02-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
What version of the 2500 LTZ gets 4400lbs payload. Single cab 2w drive only shows 3762 lbs?

The 3338 is plenty for what and who I haul and have no plans to go to a fifth wheel. If I trade my TH, it will be for a class C and a boat, lol.
I didn't mention anything about a 2500!
Joyfully Towed with a 2018 RAM 3500 6.7 CTD
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
TFLtruck had the no downshift problem with the Ram 6.4 as well. They didn't try and force it, just let the truck do what it wanted, but if it's sitting at 2500 rpm not accelerating and still has a lower gear to go into, it or you should downshift it. At 2500 rpm it's only making about 200 horsepower and needs the downshift to get it above 4000 rpm and back to making 400 horsepower.
But it wouldnt hold second and getting it back into first it is speed limited by redline, which was the issue. Admittedly it didnt happen often, just on one certain uphill on ramp from a near stop.
I'm really anxious to seee how that new 8 speed does the Ike, because that was the bioggest problem with the truck was the dang tranny and overly fast gearing in it.
At any rate these new gassers are coming a long way, all engines are.. I never thought Id see a new diesel pickup making 1050 lb ft or torque without some aftermarket tuning. And new Gassers closing in on 500 lbft.. Good times.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:11 PM   #89

Quote:
But it wouldnt hold second and getting it back into first it is speed limited by redline, which was the issue. Admittedly it didnt happen often, just on one certain uphill on ramp from a near stop.
I'm really anxious to seee how that new 8 speed does the Ike, because that was the bioggest problem with the truck was the dang tranny and overly fast gearing in it.
At any rate these new gassers are coming a long way, all engines are.. I never thought Id see a new diesel pickup making 1050 lb ft or torque without some aftermarket tuning. And new Gassers closing in on 500 lbft.. Good times.
So going with a 2015 6.4 Hemi with the 6 speed auto and the worst 3.73 gears and 32" tall tires. I show capable of 45 MPH at peak horsepower 5600 rpm in first gear. If it accelerates from a stop off of peak, it will accelerate up to peak for sure. So if you shift to 2nd at 45 mph the RPM will drop to 3200. Are you saying it didn't have enough power to accelerate anymore and it started losing speed? The TFL truck test they were barely going 25 so clearly they should have been in 1st but the truck just bogged along in 2nd. If anything just hold 1st gear and at least maintain 45 mph. On the new 8 speed 1st gear is even deeper and 2nd gear is about the same as the old 1st. 3rd gear is a better split and better than the old 2nd so would be good for 68 mph at peak hp. Also the shift from 2-3 keeps the motor at a higher RPM so less likely to be out of the powerband. Looks like the 8 speed should have no problem at least pulling the gauntlet at 68 mph unless there is some other nanny FCA is building into the trucks.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #90

I pulled 9500 lbs over the Teton Pass (8300+') with my 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 and 4.10 gears. All stock. I needed 1st gear near the top. 4800+ rpms but it was never approaching a stand still period. In fact when it dropped from 2nd to 1st it lunged forward. I didn't even have it floored.
I'm not sure why FLT had trouble but maybe it was some older software tranny programming.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugman1952 View Post
Here's the deal.
I live in South Dakota and camp maybe 10 times a year. No long hauls, but alot of 50/60 mile runs to campgrounds in the black hills. Long pulls up 7/8% hills. I currently tow with a 2011 GMC 2500hd Denali, 6.6 Duramax. I pull a 2018 FR 255rr toy hauler. CAT scaled well below all tv limits.
Now, here is my ? I'm considering a 2020 chev 2500 with the 6.6 gas. Not looking to start a gas versus diesel war, but would like to hear from 6.6 gas owners. I can climb hills with my Duramax all day at 2500/3000 rpm. I hate making an engine scream. Will a 6.6 gas be enough, or should I stick with my Duramax. Thanks for your feedback.
I'd keep the Duramax ,I'm a Ford guy but your Chevy is paid for and seems to do everything you want. S little more in Diesel won't make up for a new note on a gas truck.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I pulled 9500 lbs over the Teton Pass (8300+') with my 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 and 4.10 gears. All stock. I needed 1st gear near the top. 4800+ rpms but it was never approaching a stand still period. In fact when it dropped from 2nd to 1st it lunged forward. I didn't even have it floored.
I'm not sure why FLT had trouble but maybe it was some older software tranny programming.
I'm not sure why they had trouble either, as seemingly noone else has really encountered a similar scenario.. It was strictly a nanny feature and must have been protecting something or so it thought, but it happened twice with them.
For me with 3:73 and 10K pounds, it would wind out in first, shift to second then fall on its face, then back to first. I could keep it in first but I was limited to like 40 MPH or so and that was near redline. I didnt want to do that for 1.5 miles until it leveled off. However it never gave me any issues where power was reduced like their truck was.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat_twin View Post
I'm curious about how interest in a brand new truck got started when one has a perfectly good PAID FOR tow vehicle.

Stay away from dealership showrooms! If you're there for service don't go wandering too far from the service area. Looking is dangerous to the wallet.

For some of us itís an addiction to the deal. I am in recovery phase currently. However I know closer to retirement I get I will be looking at new again hoping to have it paid for before I retire, but not be 10 plus years old.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #94

Those new trucks are pretty.. I just can't see riding that depreciation curve.

Keep buying the new ones guys.. it'll give me something to purchase when I retire my 2007.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I'm of the Dave Ramsey persuasion.

The cheapest and best vehicle you'll ever own is more than likely already parked in your driveway. You've already paid most of the depreciation on the one you own.

Greetings from Georgia (we moved here 4 yrs ago from SoDak)

Would it pull it? Probably.
You and Dave are wise people. Why get rid of something that works well
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:23 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
OP,

I have had 2 Ford PSD trucks (Excursion 7.3L and then a F-350 SRW PSD), and a 2005 05 Cummins. My last truck was a 2017 Ram 1500 5.7/8 speed/3.92, and now a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4L/8 Speed/3.73.

I'm an odd guy out in that I do not suspect I will ever buy a diesel truck again. I enjoy the gas engine at time of purchase, and for maintenance and here is the huge one... repairs! I have never spent as much money repairing things as I had with my diesels. 7.3L was glow plugs, GP under cover harnesses and relays every 5 years or so. Injectors once on that engine. Ball joints every couple years, I suspect from the front end weight on the earlier superduty builds? Transmission on both Fords.

Then the Cummins. Oh the great Cummins.....Not. When that truck ran, it was great! Taking my son to see a movie one evening it started running super rough and smoking, turned around and went home. I trailered it to a nearby dealer (under warranty) and they had to replace the 1st engine. Something about the valve head and valve stem being 2 pieces that are welded together, but my valve failed and the head dropped into the hole, wedged itself sideways in the piston bowl, split the piston, bent the rod, beat the cylinder up and beat the head up. Cummins shipped in a new engine on a crate.

Some time later it started acting horrible and smoking. That was the 2nd engine that Dodge/Ram had to have replaced. This one has an injector spraying incorrectly and instead of putting the flame into the bowl it was spraying wide and caused erosion of the outer rim of the piston, washing down the cylinders/rings and destroyed that hole. New crate engine.

During all of this I ate 5 48RE transmissions.

I freaking despised that thing.... except for when it ran.

So my experience has been that the Ford PSD platform was fine, did diesel things well... but oil changes are around the same intervals but 3 times the cost, air filters are way more costly, fuel filters 2 times a year vs a gasser.... never. $10K more to buy. Diesel fuel costs more, MPG is better so it is close to even on that. Heavier engine kills payload and kills front axle parts faster, so less capable and more repairs. Gas sounds better with an aftermarket exhaust (subjective, my opinion), gas is easier to repair, and less likely to have a multi-thousand dollar repair (subjective, my experience is that diesels need repairs well under 200K, and likely multiple times).

The "screaming" is not really an issue unless your in a race up a mountain, but even then I don't get that effect. Even my 5.7L going up into the Laurel Mountains in Pa with a 28' long x 8' wide x 11' tall camper that is around 8K lbs uses the revs, but comfortably. I guess I am not in a race and holding it floored to pass everyone on the mountain climbs, instead I just kind of jump into the middle lane and roll past the big rigs at a comfortable pace while the hot rods are flying up in the far left lane. I bet my new 6.4L Hemi will be even better.

But I know that some folks love the diesels and have an issue with the fact that gas engines are designed to operate over a much wider RPM range. So it all comes down to your personal taste in the issue. I'm in a cold climate, I often use my truck for work commutes, going out to dinner, or just running around. It's not my daily driver, but I'll drive it when I want to. The diesels are also cool and all, but not worth the added cost for me.

I'm real happy with the modern gas engines and the new transmissions with programming that is light years ahead of the gas rigs of just 10 years ago. Things are different today, 8 and 10 speed computer controlled transmissions, tow modes that do more than just extend shift points, computer controlled engine braking that actually works, cooling systems that are finally robust enough for heavy pulling up the biggest hills... This is not your Father's gas truck. It's a whole new game.
This is the best view on modern gas engines Iíve seen so far. Itís not just the poweplant the transmissions behind these new engines are unreal. As are the braking and cooling systems. I was awestruck at how my truck pulled my 27DBH up and down the grapevine recently. Labor-free power heading up the grades and immense control (and very little braking) coming down.

For my 6-ish TT trios a year Iím really pleased with my half ton gas setup. Unhitched, the truck is easily our best family vehicle for space and comfortable travel. Much better than the family truckster, Acura MDX.
RamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:38 AM   #97

Quote:
I didn't mention anything about a 2500!
You got me!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamFam View Post
This is the best view on modern gas engines I’ve seen so far. It’s not just the poweplant the transmissions behind these new engines are unreal. As are the braking and cooling systems. I was awestruck at how my truck pulled my 27DBH up and down the grapevine recently. Labor-free power heading up the grades and immense control (and very little braking) coming down.

For my 6-ish TT trios a year I’m really pleased with my half ton gas setup. Unhitched, the truck is easily our best family vehicle for space and comfortable travel. Much better than the family truckster, Acura MDX.
In full agreement.Unless you're constantly pulling mountains a gasser will do great.....I see a new 7.3 in my future.....probably a 3rd year production model. If not the 7.3 then a 5.0.....bulletproof. No 3.5 ecoboost though.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #99

You said it brother. I have immense respect for the diesel power plants. They are truly amazing and for folks that are full timers or commercial applications, more power to them.

For cost of operation, I’ll stay away from all of the forced induction options.

Itís not camping but glamping is better than nothing.
RamFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas