Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 690
I installed a front hitch on my old suv when I towed my previous tt. It was a Curt hitch, very easy to install, and no interference for oil changes or anything else. No issues with headlights or cooling, but the bikes did get their fair share of bug splatter.

I recently bought a jack-it rack like jimmoore13 shows in his post. Bought it from a fellow member here on the forum. I haven’t installed it yet (want to do a little touch up paint on the a-frame first) but the rack looks like a great idea and for me is a perfect solution.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 F 150 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3.5 EB Max Tow
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Do you really need a 12,000 lb winch on what's probably a 5,000 lb hitch?

Might be a recipe for disaster.
The winch weighs less than 100 lbs.
__________________
2019 Heritage Glen 282RK
2014 F-150 Screw 4x4 3.5EB
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Do you really need a 12,000 lb winch on what's probably a 5,000 lb hitch?

Might be a recipe for disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
The winch weighs less than 100 lbs.
My comment wasn't related to the weight of the winch. It was related to trying to pull 12,000 lbs with a 5,000 lb hitch. Might pull the hitch right off the truck.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My comment wasn't related to the weight of the winch. It was related to trying to pull 12,000 lbs with a 5,000 lb hitch. Might pull the hitch right off the truck.
Remember how force multiplication works. If you just hook your cable to a tree, then you would be pulling 12,000 lbs against the hitch. But if you attach a pulley to the tree, pull the cable through it, and attach the end to a tow hook on your frame, then you have 6,000 pounds pulling against the tree, and 6,000 pulling against your truck, but the truck end is split between the two attachment points - 3,000 on the winch/hitch and 3,000 on the hook. If you attach a pulley to that tow hook, so that your cable goes winch/tree pulley/tow hook pulley/different tree, then each anchor point only has 3k - etc, etc, etc
__________________
-Qwkynuf

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Remember how force multiplication works. If you just hook your cable to a tree, then you would be pulling 12,000 lbs against the hitch. But if you attach a pulley to the tree, pull the cable through it, and attach the end to a tow hook on your frame, then you have 6,000 pounds pulling against the tree, and 6,000 pulling against your truck, but the truck end is split between the two attachment points - 3,000 on the winch/hitch and 3,000 on the hook. If you attach a pulley to that tow hook, so that your cable goes winch/tree pulley/tow hook pulley/different tree, then each anchor point only has 3k - etc, etc, etc
The hitch is only qualified for 5,000 lbs. So you can use a 5,000 lb winch OR you could use your pulley, in which case you only need a 2,500 lb winch. But bottom line, the hitch can only support a 5,000 lb load.

To make it ridiculous: If the winch were attached to the truck by plastic cable tie, how much load can you pull with the winch? Ans: Whatever the cable tie will let you - maybe a hundred pounds. Same for the hitch; you can only pull what the hitch will let you.

It's a weak link analysis. The weakest thing is the hitch.

Putting a pulley on a 12,000 lb winch may let you pull 24,000 lbs, or conversely pull 12,000 with a 6,000 lb winch. As you say, the pulley will cut any load in half. But if you're pulling and something isn't budging ('cause you're really stuck), unless you've got a load cell on the winch, how do you know when you've exceeded the 5,000 lb capacity of the hitch?
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The hitch is only qualified for 5,000 lbs. So you can use a 5,000 lb winch OR you could use your pulley, in which case you only need a 2,500 lb winch. But bottom line, the hitch can only support a 5,000 lb load.

To make it ridiculous: If the winch were attached to the truck by plastic cable tie, how much load can you pull with the winch? Ans: Whatever the cable tie will let you - maybe a hundred pounds. Same for the hitch; you can only pull what the hitch will let you.

It's a weak link analysis. The weakest thing is the hitch.

Putting a pulley on a 12,000 lb winch may let you pull 24,000 lbs, or conversely pull 12,000 with a 6,000 lb winch. As you say, the pulley will cut any load in half. But if you're pulling and something isn't budging ('cause you're really stuck), unless you've got a load cell on the winch, how do you know when you've exceeded the 5,000 lb capacity of the hitch?
edit: Nah, I'm done.
__________________
-Qwkynuf

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bow WA
Posts: 484
X2 Dakota - I have a welded 2" receiver on the front frame of my 04 2500 Ram. It has come in handy for lots of purposes, including bikes.


.....................
Ram 2500 Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 858
A 12,000 winch is rated with only the first rap on the drum, when the drum get fuller the capacity drops considerably. It could easily drop to 8000 or less and that rating is with the line stalled or nearly stalled. But look at this amperage chart for a 9500 rating and you will see that the electrical system on most vehicles wouldn’t be able to keep it running very long at those higher loads.

Line Pull Amp Draw
0 71
2000 169
4000 248
6000 328
8000 413
9500 482
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 343
Hate to interrupt a good winch debate, but I will say that any cop who stops you and writes you for the blocked headlights needs more to do in their day. If you are truly looking for an alternative, you could try what I did. I bought the quick-release bike axle mounts and bolted one to a board. I covered the board in carpet and lay it on the floor of the camper. What you can't see in the pic is that, when the slide is closed, the carpeted piece of wood is trapped perfectly between both walls and can't move around.

Another option I have heard of is a friend who bolted a couple of these quick release mounts to the underside of their dinette seats. When they pack up to go, they remove the seat cushions and tabel top, flip the wooden seat over and then store 2-3 bikes there while they travel down the road.

The front mount option is way easier for mounting and removing the bikes, I am sure. But this option keeps them out of the weather and bugs, and puts the weight right in the middle of the camper (as opposed to adding cantilever weight to one end or the other of your rig).

Good luck!
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: 8300 Feet - Rocky Mountains
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Hate to interrupt a good winch debate, but I will say that any cop who stops you and writes you for the blocked headlights needs more to do in their day. If you are truly looking for an alternative, you could try what I did. I bought the quick-release bike axle mounts and bolted one to a board. I covered the board in carpet and lay it on the floor of the camper. What you can't see in the pic is that, when the slide is closed, the carpeted piece of wood is trapped perfectly between both walls and can't move around.

Another option I have heard of is a friend who bolted a couple of these quick release mounts to the underside of their dinette seats. When they pack up to go, they remove the seat cushions and tabel top, flip the wooden seat over and then store 2-3 bikes there while they travel down the road.

The front mount option is way easier for mounting and removing the bikes, I am sure. But this option keeps them out of the weather and bugs, and puts the weight right in the middle of the camper (as opposed to adding cantilever weight to one end or the other of your rig).

Good luck!
I put similar bike "racks" on the lid of my bed-mounted tool box. The bed can be empty or full. The bike's rear tire is happy to rest on whatever. But the bike "racks" do a great job of holding the bikes in available space.
Only works on a pickup with a tool box, but there you go.
__________________
Jim & Renee
2020 Jayco Jay Feather X-213
previously 2014 Forest River/Rockwood HW 277
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
Hate to interrupt a good winch debate, but I will say that any cop who stops you and writes you for the blocked headlights needs more to do in their day. If you are truly looking for an alternative, you could try what I did. I bought the quick-release bike axle mounts and bolted one to a board. I covered the board in carpet and lay it on the floor of the camper. What you can't see in the pic is that, when the slide is closed, the carpeted piece of wood is trapped perfectly between both walls and can't move around.


That in an AWESOME option! Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Greg, Janelle, Tenley, & Ellis
2019 Palomino Puma QBSS
TV: 2015 Silverado Z71
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 112
We have one on our A-frame, if I remember correctly it’s a Stromberg Carlson. It works great, was simple to install. We used to have ours on the bumper and were not comfortable with that ourselves, looked into front hitches and came across this. I’m pretty confident we could put a four bike rack on in and still have clearance but couldn’t swear to that one since we’ve only carried 2 up to this point. I can still access my flap to turn on/off tanks, top of hitch removes pretty simply when you need to access the tanks for refills.


2016 Salem Hemisphere 302FK
2019 Ram 3500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	182C8C9B-A24D-498C-BF1C-150A70AD646D.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	227994   Click image for larger version

Name:	4537FA8D-767D-4771-B0A9-2936126F5ADE.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	227995  
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 343
I have a cap on my truck so I can't have a toolbox. But I have mounted a couple of these on a board and laid it on the bed. Works just great and full size mountain bikes fit in my 5.5' bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
I put similar bike "racks" on the lid of my bed-mounted tool box. The bed can be empty or full. The bike's rear tire is happy to rest on whatever. But the bike "racks" do a great job of holding the bikes in available space.
Only works on a pickup with a tool box, but there you go.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 173
I had a front hitch installed on my F150, mainly for a bike rack when going to Florida towing a boat and bed was full of other stuff. While it works well, the almost constant movement of the bikes was very distracting for me. It's the kind where the bikes just hang from the frame on it, no wheel support. It was subtle but still obvious. I prefer an unobstructed view of the road.
That being said, the front hitch is the bomb for parking trailers in tight spots!
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Mr Towed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
I had a front hitch installed on my F150, mainly for a bike rack when going to Florida towing a boat and bed was full of other stuff. While it works well, the almost constant movement of the bikes was very distracting for me. It's the kind where the bikes just hang from the frame on it, no wheel support. It was subtle but still obvious. I prefer an unobstructed view of the road.
That being said, the front hitch is the bomb for parking trailers in tight spots!
I’m with you, staring at/ through those bikes would drive me crazy. I am interested in the front hitch for the second reason you mentioned, though.
__________________
Travel Trailer: 2004 Flagstaff 25LB
New Tow Vehicle: 2017 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost, supercrew short bed FX4 Lariat
Old Tow Vehicle: 2009 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Ext. Cab Short Bed
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:05 AM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Look into installing Mount-n-Lock Safetystruts on the rear bumper to add strength. I used them and easily carried my bikes. I believe they increase the carrying strength to 400 lbs.
gary koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sonoma, CA
Posts: 15
Front Receiver

I have the same concern about the rear bike rack on my trailer. Years ago I was able to buy receivers that replaced both hooks mounted below my front bumper. This allowed me build a from rack that was supported no just in the middle and was very stable.
I would like to do this again but have had not luck in finding this product again, The beauty was that they used the same bolt pattern has the hooks I was replacing.
Has anyone run across these?
KenSchmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 192
I just welded this out of scrap metal I had. It attaches to the stake pockets. I need to take another picture with the mounts attached.

I almost went the front bike rack option, but I didn't like my bikes getting beaten by the bugs.

Attachment 228416
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
45RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 161
I have .a Jack-It bike rack FOR SALE which was on a Mini Lite. It holds 2 bikes and I'm asking just $150. Contact me if interested.

-Rich
Attached Images
 
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mount, truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.