Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #1

Front of vehicle bike rack

We have a 2008 31QBSS and tow with a Yukon XL. Family of six and sometimes another guest so 6-7 bikes laid out on beds is getting to be a hassle, especially on quick overnight stops.

I considered top of vehicle, but Yakima doesn't make a system that works with the Denali trim without customization.

I've read enough on here to know that back of trailer is bad mojo. From what I've seen, over the tongue racks won't hold enough bikes to be useful. I thought about a double receiver that would allow a bike rack above and the trailer hitch below, but I'm not sure I'd have the space for 4-5 bikes or the turning discipline to not damage the bikes.

This leaves me wondering about a front mount hitch receiver combined with something like a Yakima Doubledown 5. Less than $500 for the hitch and the rack and it would hold 4-5 of the bikes. I don't mind one or two up in the trailer.

Any experience with mounting bikes up front? Impact to air flow to the engine?

Several weekend trips scheduled as well as a two week trip from Indiana to the Rockies...so I'm looking for a better solution.

Thanks in advance for input -

David
davidherbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lou "herk7769" does this .
I am sure he will be along any minute to show you pictures !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I am back!

Did this for 2 trips to FL when DW had knee issues.

Cost:

1 MPG less and about 5 degrees more in tranny temps.

I also put a bolt on bumper hitch that was ONLY used in camp to get the bike rack off the front of the truck so we could go out to dinner, etc.

Otherwise it was great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 020.jpg
Views:	1282
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	28321  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #4

I check Thule, and they seem to agree with Yakima (no solution). How stupid of GM to put such restrictions on their customers.

For a trailer this large, which certainly has enough strong frame in the rear, I would be tempted to get 4 of the bikes behind the trailer on a hitch mount carrier. Have a cable lock thru the bike frames, and the camper frame (or hitch), in case something were to come loose. I would then get a wireless rear camera system so you're not constantly wondering if the bikes are still with you. Rear camera would be nice to have anyway.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #5

If you decide to put the rack on the front make sure you get one short enough the bikes don't protrude above the hood. Check out Herk's set up in post #3. Our rack is tall. The bikes end up being in your line of sight while driving. It is annoying beyond belief.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Weird the Denali roof rack cannot work with an aftermarket system. Does it have a rack with cross rails? I have seen several generic bike racks that just use the cross rails. A buddy who worked at a bike shop in our misspent youth used to make racks for people that bolted to their existing roof rack. Maybe local bike shop could fab one up.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Always Learning

I helped a buddy install permanently mounted footpads for the Thule systems onto his jeep for mounting towers and rails to carry kayaks. He went this route because he lived in an ugly part of the city and was afraid of theft at night when parked of the rack itself.

It was pretty hard watching him drill into the roof, but it served him well and looked decent when he was done.

Not what you asked for, of course - but you're going to have a devil of a time finding anything to carry 6-7 bikes (front mount rack or not).
Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Missing Link

What year denali do you have? I looked on the yakima site and it showed a system for the newer danali with flush rails.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

We use a front mount bike rack as well and love it.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #10

I have a front receiver hitch and often carry two bikes on a Yakima carrier. It does extend out far so I shimmed the hitch at the frame to slightly angle the hitch upwards. At first, driving and looking over and through two bikes was weird. You will get use to it.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #11

What model of bike rack to you use? I was leaning towards the Yakima Doubledown 5 but it rises 44" above the hitch which would put it significantly above the hood line.

David
davidherbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Weird the Denali roof rack cannot work with an aftermarket system. Does it have a rack with cross rails? I have seen several generic bike racks that just use the cross rails. A buddy who worked at a bike shop in our misspent youth used to make racks for people that bolted to their existing roof rack. Maybe local bike shop could fab one up.
Most crossrails are quite flexible, compared to the Thule/Yakima crossbars. Therefore, any kits that utilize the factory crossbars have warnings not to carry more than 2 bikes. The roof and rack itself can handle more, but the factory crossbars can't.
Then again, that would be 2 less bikes that need to go in the trailer. Might be the cheapest solution.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Most crossrails are quite flexible, compared to the Thule/Yakima crossbars. Therefore, any kits that utilize the factory crossbars have warnings not to carry more than 2 bikes. The roof and rack itself can handle more, but the factory crossbars can't.
Then again, that would be 2 less bikes that need to go in the trailer. Might be the cheapest solution.
In theory, the closer to where the cross bar mounts to the rail, the stronger it is. If the attachment from the bat to the rail is week then I am out of good suggestions. Well except zip ties..;-)

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Missing Link

Will this work? Yakima Racks & Carriers
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #15

I dont understand WHY its taboo to put bikes on stern of vehicle?If the hitch is sound and the bumper is solid whats the big deal? I am looking at getting a 300lb capacity cargo carrier with a inch and a1/2 reciever for the 4 bike carrier factory welded to it.My brother has the cargo carrier and it can definately hold the weight, my problem is what can my bumper handle. But assuming its all sound whats the problem?
Vinchenzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchenzzi View Post
I dont understand WHY its taboo to put bikes on stern of vehicle?If the hitch is sound and the bumper is solid whats the big deal? I am looking at getting a 300lb capacity cargo carrier with a inch and a1/2 reciever for the 4 bike carrier factory welded to it.My brother has the cargo carrier and it can definately hold the weight, my problem is what can my bumper handle. But assuming its all sound whats the problem?
I installed a "secure" hitch to my bumper on my flagstaff to haul bikes.
The bumper almost all but came off and the bikes went through the back of my fiberglass cap ......
These bumpers and frames are not designed for this type of stress.
What's not to understand?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
Always Learning

You already have a thread for this... let's try to stick to that one:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-40863.html
Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #18

Ependy, Sorry I was looking for similar threads on the subject so I chimed in,wasnt aware there is a rule.I'm just using the site.turbo how was I to know it took your bumper off, had I known that I probably wouldnt have asked the question.I thought that's what this site was for.questions??? Just like everyone else here, I am trying to find the best way to do things threw the knowledge of others mistakes and experiences. This is my first TT and am learning just like many others.
Vinchenzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchenzzi View Post
Ependy, Sorry I was looking for similar threads on the subject so I chimed in,wasnt aware there is a rule.I'm just using the site.turbo how was I to know it took your bumper off, had I known that I probably wouldnt have asked the question.I thought that's what this site was for.questions??? Just like everyone else here, I am trying to find the best way to do things threw the knowledge of others mistakes and experiences. This is my first TT and am learning just like many others.
Lol you'll most certainly will get an education when you ask this particular question in this forum.
Sometimes we have to be stern to get the point across as some people don't believe its possible for something like this to happen or choose to ignore .
Either the case all we can do is inform you and let you make the decision.

I am proof positive that this is a bad idea but yet other members say oh I've been doing it for years with no issues.

Its ultimately up to you.

Turbs
Old 05-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
Anacortesians

When I was driving transit, all our buses had front racks for up to 4 bikes. The cutaways (buses that look like a Class C) did have minor problems with hotter than normal coolant temps when the racks were full, but that was probably due to the low average speed more than anything else. When you're stopping every mile or less, there's limited airflow through the radiator.

BTW, the cutaways in the fleet were originally Ford E450-based and diesel powered. Currently they're Chevy diesels, based on the current "Savanna" van, I think, but I don't drive for them any more so I can't be sure.