Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #201

Thanks doc, I figured you would chime in and clarify that for us!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #202

The place my brother bought his trailer from almost didn’t let him leave because the GVWR of the trailer exceeded his car’s towing capacity, even though the UVW was well below it.
dkazzed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #203

I appreciate the response I know my dually and my 1500 weights posted on registration are very low not from manufacturers be curious how they came up with numbers
Old 02-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkazzed View Post
The place my brother bought his trailer from almost didn’t let him leave because the GVWR of the trailer exceeded his car’s towing capacity, even though the UVW was well below it.
At some point the dealers are going to be held liable for insuring that the trailer does not exceed the vehicles compacity when I leaves their lot. They will have no one to blame but themselves as they regularly tell people that the vehicle they own will pull that trailer with no problem.

When I bought my first TT years ago, the first question the dealer asked was the GVWR and GCVWR on my truck. He then calculated my GVWR minus 20% and said this is the heaviest trailer you should tow. You can buy a heavier trailer then that but not from me!!! They checked the numbers on the truck again when I came to pick it up. Salesman told me that several times the customer showed up with a insufficient rated truck and the owner would not let them take the trailer.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #205
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
At some point the dealers are going to be held liable for insuring that the trailer does not exceed the vehicles compacity when I leaves their lot. They will have no one to blame but themselves as they regularly tell people that the vehicle they own will pull that trailer with no problem.

When I bought my first TT years ago, the first question the dealer asked was the GVWR and GCVWR on my truck. He then calculated my GVWR minus 20% and said this is the heaviest trailer you should tow. You can buy a heavier trailer then that but not from me!!! They checked the numbers on the truck again when I came to pick it up. Salesman told me that several times the customer showed up with a insufficient rated truck and the owner would not let them take the trailer.
Sorry but I have to disagree here. It is always driver's responsibility when it comes to a motor vehicle violation. It's the operators responsibility to make sure they have the proper registration, insurance, exterior lights are in working order, tires are safe, ect.... Expecting a dealer to do the work for you, the operator, is just pushing blame. Plus where does it end?
Folks need to educate themselves and be responsible.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #206
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Yes the sections apply to all vehicles, but obviously, most single trucks owned by us are not ever going to hit the numbers listed... But you'd be surprised what people will come up with.

As for GVWR enforcement.. We do not have a section to technically prohibit the exceeding of a GVWR. We have nothing for payload, that falls under the GVWR. If you can follow, while we do not have a specific violations for GVWR it falls under our section for exceeding Registrations weights. All vehicles driven in PA cannot be registered beyond the max capacity (GVWR) as set by the manufacturer.. SO as silly as that sounds it means you cannot technically exceed the GVWR. It is a goofy way to word it but it is what it is.
So how does PA DMV know what a vehicles GVWR is with all the variables and different ratings for similar trucks? Or do they have a generic top rating that they use.
In NJ you tell them what you want to register it for. Theres knuckle heads running around in DRW crew cabs with a registered GVWR of 5500lbs. when the truck alone weighs 8500. I never heard anyone getting turned away for increasing the registered weight but I'm sure they must have a max GVWR number for a pickup.
My point is DMV doesn't know what your derated GVWR door sticker reads. So as long as I register it for the max for that truck class, then that is all that can be enforced (registered weight), the door sticker not coming into play.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #207
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
So how does PA DMV know what a vehicles GVWR is with all the variables and different ratings for similar trucks? Or do they have a generic top rating that they use.
In NJ you tell them what you want to register it for. Theres knuckle heads running around in DRW crew cabs with a registered GVWR of 5500lbs. when the truck alone weighs 8500. I never heard anyone getting turned away for increasing it but I'm sure there is some based max number based on the max for a pickup.
My point is DMV doesn't know what your derated GVWR door sticker reads. So as long as I register it for the max for that truck class, then that is all that can be enforced (registered weight), the door sticker not coming into play.
Pretty sure the DMV can look all that up with your VIN# and a couple of key strokes...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #208
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Duplicate
Old 02-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #209
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Pretty sure the DMV can look all that up with your VIN# and a couple of key strokes...
I've run Ford breakdowns for VINs and it doesn't give a rating, that's why I ask.

But I have found charts like this which I believe is what they would go by. So I believe as long you register for a weight that is within the bracket for your truck class, you're good. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190206-172755_Chrome.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	196318
Old 02-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #210
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
I've run Ford breakdowns for VINs and it doesn't give a rating, that's why I ask.

But I have found charts like this which I believe is what they would go by. So I believe as long you register for a weight that is within the bracket for your truck class, you're good. Attachment 196318
But do you work for the DMV?

I'm sure they have more access to information like that than we do.

And the popo probably has more access than any of us as well!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #211

Quote:

That’s funny but check this one!

https://youtu.be/56XL0TysIn0
Old 02-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #212
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
But do you work for the DMV?

I'm sure they have more access to information like that than we do.

And the popo probably has more access than any of us as well!
Lol! If you only knew.

I want to see how PA DMV does it. If he doesn't know maybe someone that goes there can ask to register their truck at a higher rating and see what happens.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #213

Quote:
In NJ you tell them what you want to register it for. Theres knuckle heads running around in DRW crew cabs with a registered GVWR of 5500lbs. when the truck alone weighs 8500. I never heard anyone getting turned away for increasing the registered weight but I'm sure they must have a max GVWR number for a pickup.
Yes they do know what the GVWR on the door sticker is as the notaries in PA are REQUIRED to verify the VIN number and GVWR when submitting paperwork to create the PA title for the truck and its also included on the PA title. For your registration, you can request a lower weight class but they will not let you increase it above the GVWR on the title or the door sticker.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #214
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Lol! If you only knew.

I want to see how PA DMV does it. If he doesn't know maybe someone that goes there can ask to register their truck at a higher rating and see what happens.
Yes I can run your Vin and I will get the gvwr of the vehicle. We use it for trucks as well when establishing weather a cdl is required and what gvwr are for trailers and such when they are "removed" from the sides. Your vehicle, along with all others has a sticker in the door that tells me what the gvwr is. It's one of those fed stickers on all vehicles since probably the early 2000.if it is missing we run the Vin through our Vin checkers.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #215
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
Yes they do know what the GVWR on the door sticker is as the notaries in PA are REQUIRED to verify the VIN number and GVWR when submitting paperwork to create the PA title for the truck and its also included on the PA title. For your registration, you can request a lower weight class but they will not let you increase it above the GVWR on the title or the door sticker.
Exactly

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-06-2019, 08:02 PM   #216
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Yes I can run your Vin and I will get the gvwr of the vehicle. We use it for trucks as well when establishing weather a cdl is required and what gvwr are for trailers and such when they are "removed" from the sides. Your vehicle, along with all others has a sticker in the door that tells me what the gvwr is. It's one of those fed stickers on all vehicles since probably the early 2000.if it is missing we run the Vin through our Vin checkers.
Are you sure your cad isn't showing you the REGISTERED gvw? In NJ it shows the registered GVW.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #217
Who Dares, Wins

Some vehicle, like incomplete chasis ((think mack trucks and e450) that have been upfitted by someone who is authorized to do so will NOT return a GVWR but a range. So for example that mach truck will be a gvwr of 25,000 to 33,000lbs. This is because they do not now what the vehicle will be. With that we will use the door stickers, if they are gone the tie goes to the runner and we use the lowest weight for drivers license purpose and the highest for weight if that is the issue (overweight) but then we use the highest for the license if that makes sense.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #218
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Are you sure your cad isn't showing you the REGISTERED gvw? In NJ it shows the registered GVW.
let me back up... What are you asking? I must have misunderstood somewhere. Yes, if PA runs a tag in CAD then I get the registered weights IF the state put it on the tag, NJ, does not for us so we get nothing. If the VIN is put into our VIN checkers (not cad but a federal database) we get the whole break down including that vehicles GVWR (but as said somewhere, prob another thread, all these trucks typically follow a certain pattern for the GVWR's. SO depending on the need we will know what we have before we get there more than likely.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #219
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
let me back up... What are you asking? I must have misunderstood somewhere. Yes, if PA runs a tag in CAD then I get the registered weights IF the state put it on the tag, NJ, does not for us so we get nothing. If the VIN is put into our VIN checkers (not cad but a federal database) we get the whole break down including that vehicles GVWR (but as said somewhere, prob another thread, all these trucks typically follow a certain pattern for the GVWR's.
No misunderstanding. You answered it.
My point is if a truck is registered at the highest rating permitted by DMV, that is what you would enforce. Especially if no door sticker.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #220
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
No misunderstanding. You answered it.
My point is if a truck is registered at the highest rating permitted by DMV, that is what you would enforce. Especially if no door sticker.
Yes if the gvwr could not be found, the max weight would be used the vehicle could be rated at for weight violations. But unless you drive an incomplete chassis vehicle I'd get your weight as it left the factory.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB