Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #1

GCWR for 2017 Sunseeker 2500TFS

I am looking for a simple answer on determining the curb weight of the 2017 Sunseeker 2500TFS. Is there an easy place to find or determine this? I am trying to determine how much we can tow. I think the GCWR is 22000, but I need to know curb weight in order to determine how much is left over for a tow vehicle. Should I just take it to the weigh station? And, if so, should the fresh water tank be full and other tanks empty? Full propane? Thanks!
arbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Weigh station is probably best, yes. And yes you'd want it loaded as you'll have it on a trip = tanks as you mentioned but also clothing, groceries, dogs, etc.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbob View Post
I am looking for a simple answer on determining the curb weight of the 2017 Sunseeker 2500TFS. Is there an easy place to find or determine this? I am trying to determine how much we can tow. I think the GCWR is 22000, but I need to know curb weight in order to determine how much is left over for a tow vehicle. Should I just take it to the weigh station? And, if so, should the fresh water tank be full and other tanks empty? Full propane? Thanks!

You didn’t state what truck chassis you have (did you mean 2500TSF for triple slide Ford?), but since you mentioned the GCWR is 22,000 lbs, the comments below are based on my assumption that you have a Ford E-450.

Many times the curb weight or loaded weight of the motorhome is an important factor in towing ability, but not so much in this case. The GVWR of the E-450 is 14,500 pounds. Assuming you have not loaded the coach beyond the 14,500 limit, and your GCWR is 22,000, you will always have 7,500 pounds left as towing capacity. Now the real question is the hitch rating. The newer Sunseekers have a 7500 pound rated hitch, whereas older ones may be 5000 pound rated hitches. I don’t expect the hitch rating would be above 7500.

If what you plan to tow puts weight on the hitch, factor that in to the GVWR limit, since that weight would be carried by the coach chassis.

So in summary, weigh the coach as it would be loaded for travel, ensure it is not beyond the GVWR of 14,500, then look at the rating label on your hitch.

Tags
500, sunseeker