Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2022, 01:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 9
Gear Ratio Change?

Was looking to upgrade the camper and found that my 18 silverado with stock 3.08 gears will allow me to tow up to 6100lb. If I had 3.43 gears, then I could tow up to 9100lbs. Has anyone done this? I often see people with 1500/F150 trucks towing campers that seem to be way outside the limits.
CodeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
camper_Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camping some place I hope
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMan View Post
Was looking to upgrade the camper and found that my 18 silverado with stock 3.08 gears will allow me to tow up to 6100lb. If I had 3.43 gears, then I could tow up to 9100lbs. Has anyone done this? I often see people with 1500/F150 trucks towing campers that seem to be way outside the limits.
If it looks like they are towing outside the limits, they probably are

But for your original question, you can swap out your gears but I would ask at a GM shop as you may need a carrier too. Also note, generally the 3.08 setup only comes with a 9.5 axle not the 9.75 so you will not get the full upper weight limit you see from a stock setup.
__________________
2019 Chevy 3500 4x4 Crew Duramax
2021 Gray Wolf Toy Hauler
2019 Street Glide
camper_Lucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 2,011
Mods dont change the sticker inside your trucks door. Take what you would spend on the upgrade and get the right truck with the right number on the plate on the door.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
Broken Toe
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Mods dont change the sticker inside your trucks door. Take what you would spend on the upgrade and get the right truck with the right number on the plate on the door.
The "sticker on the door" on 3/4 ton trucks is artificially held to under 10K GVWR to keep them in Class 2 and has no real correlation to real world capabilities.

Mods do in fact increase those capabilities, if done correctly.

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
The "sticker on the door" on 3/4 ton trucks is artificially held to under 10K GVWR to keep them in Class 2 and has no real correlation to real world capabilities.

Mods do in fact increase those capabilities, if done correctly.

Tim
You can get a 3/4 ton truck with a higher GVWR than that. I've seen them plenty of times. Not all states have stupid regs in regard to that. You can get a 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500 with a GVWR as high as 11,550 lbs. 3500 models are capped at 14,000 lbs.
__________________
2019 Silverado LTZ 1500 6.2L 10 Speed 3.42 Max Trailering Package
2018 Freedom Express 192RBS
2016 Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L 6 Speed 3.42
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 4,548
With GM trucks you have to do your homework. RPO's for certain gear ratios often call for additional RPO's such as axles, and deletions of other RPO's.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
BigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
The "sticker on the door" on 3/4 ton trucks is artificially held to under 10K GVWR to keep them in Class 2 and has no real correlation to real world capabilities.

Mods do in fact increase those capabilities, if done correctly.

Tim
This is something that gets repeated by folks who don't know what they are talking about. Complete hogwash sir...

There is no 10k limit on 250/2500 series trucks. Both Ford and GM offer that class vehicle above 10k. If you look at the different configurations Ford has above 10k in that class, it looks like Ford would disagree with your last sentence as well.
__________________
21 Ram 2500 crew cab long box. 6.4 gasser 50 gallon tank.
18 Vengeance 28V
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #8
AKC
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
There is no 10k limit on 250/2500 series trucks. Both Ford and GM offer that class vehicle above 10k. If you look at the different configurations Ford has above 10k in that class, it looks like Ford would disagree with your last sentence as well.
Yeah my F250 is rated up to 12.5k pounds with a WD hitch.
AKC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
camper_Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camping some place I hope
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
With GM trucks you have to do your homework. RPO's for certain gear ratios often call for additional RPO's such as axles, and deletions of other RPO's.
precisely, this is what I was referring to when I stated that the OP would not get the same limits as the stock setup. Not that the OP shouldn't make mods to improve the TV, just that there is more to it then just changing out some gears to increase the tow limit levels.
__________________
2019 Chevy 3500 4x4 Crew Duramax
2021 Gray Wolf Toy Hauler
2019 Street Glide
camper_Lucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 826
gas or diesel 2018. ? i have the 2018 6.6 ltz. silverado. 30 ft. t- hauler,1000 lb. trike in box, and a boat in tow . its a breeze towing anywhere.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
gas or diesel 2018. ? i have the 2018 6.6 ltz. silverado. 30 ft. t- hauler,1000 lb. trike in box, and a boat in tow . its a breeze towing anywhere.

Sounds like you have an HD truck. Looks like OP has a 1/2 ton.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:32 PM   #12
Camping the Natural State
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMan View Post
Was looking to upgrade the camper and found that my 18 silverado with stock 3.08 gears will allow me to tow up to 6100lb. If I had 3.43 gears, then I could tow up to 9100lbs. Has anyone done this? I often see people with 1500/F150 trucks towing campers that seem to be way outside the limits.
Sure and I wouldn't do it unless at east 2 steps lower ratio but keep in mind, it doesn't increase the CCC of your particular pickup.
__________________
2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614 BS
ARhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:34 PM   #13
Camping the Natural State
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
The "sticker on the door" on 3/4 ton trucks is artificially held to under 10K GVWR to keep them in Class 2 and has no real correlation to real world capabilities.

Mods do in fact increase those capabilities, if done correctly.

Tim
Wrong. You cannot increase the CCC (payload) of any vehicle by modding.
__________________
2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614 BS
ARhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:36 PM   #14
Camping the Natural State
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 557
OP has a halfton pickup !
__________________
2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614 BS
ARhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:45 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKC View Post
Yeah my F250 is rated up to 12.5k pounds with a WD hitch.
WD hitch has nothing to do with F250’s GVWR
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:48 AM   #16
Camping the Natural State
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 557
Nevermind GVWR. You will hit the CCC limit first.
__________________
2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2614 BS
ARhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #17
Broken Toe
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
This is something that gets repeated by folks who don't know what they are talking about. Complete hogwash sir...

There is no 10k limit on 250/2500 series trucks. Both Ford and GM offer that class vehicle above 10k. If you look at the different configurations Ford has above 10k in that class, it looks like Ford would disagree with your last sentence as well.
Yes they do. And they also offer the EXACT SAME truck with a 10K GVWR. The reason is, commercial users (landscapers, construction, etc) would fall under DOT regs with a 10,001 and above GVWR and they usually don't want to have to mess with everything that goes with that.

Order a GM 2500 with the C7A RPO code and it comes with a 10K sticker (rating). Check the C7G box, and you get 10,600. Exact same truck. Not a single washer has been changed.

Its all bureaucratic, not engineering.


Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:33 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
camper_Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camping some place I hope
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Yes they do. And they also offer the EXACT SAME truck with a 10K GVWR. The reason is, commercial users (landscapers, construction, etc) would fall under DOT regs with a 10,001 and above GVWR and they usually don't want to have to mess with everything that goes with that.

Order a GM 2500 with the C7A RPO code and it comes with a 10K sticker (rating). Check the C7G box, and you get 10,600. Exact same truck. Not a single washer has been changed.

Its all bureaucratic, not engineering.


Tim
Yes and No,

Agree not a single washer difference, but
CA7 kicks in California Emissions(YF5). C7G does not require Cali emissions testing, but "DEPENDING" on your state may require commercial plates and DOT registration. In Ohio we can put passenger and or non commercial plates and avoid the DOT registration, but you need to check with your state prior to ordering a C7G code as the dealer will report it on the paperwork. Cali will not register a non YF5 RPO as non commercial.
__________________
2019 Chevy 3500 4x4 Crew Duramax
2021 Gray Wolf Toy Hauler
2019 Street Glide
camper_Lucy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,055
3.08:1 is terrible for towing.
I had a 1/2 ton Chevy 40 years ago with a 3.07:1 rear end. It went through clutches if I tried to tow anything, even a two horse trailer.

I like a 3.73:1 in a Ford for towing.
Changing out the rear end gears is not cheap, but probably cheaper than finding a different truck.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMan View Post
I often see people with 1500/F150 trucks towing campers that seem to be way outside the limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
If it looks like they are towing outside the limits, they probably are
You REALLY need to check the truck specifications as provided by the manufacturer. I can't control if YOU don't believe them or "feel" the numbers are too high.

With that said, my F150 has a max trailer weight of 12,700 - specified by Ford. So, I consider my 7k lb trailer well under the limit. FWIW, based on actual weighing, I am also comfortably under my CCC and GAWR numbers.
__________________
Al
I am starting to think, that I will never be old enough--------to know better.
Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles. Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, Russian Novelist
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 PM.