Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #21

Your truck isn't a POS. It has limits and that's what you have to decide. Buy a trailer for the truck and all is good. You will take a beating trading a 2019.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguminey View Post
I live in Pittsburgh I’m about to just go trade the truck after hearing how everyone says it’s a pos I’m not sure how Ford sells a million of them and rates them as high as they do if they can’t tow and get pushed and pulled everywhere
It is a lot of trailer for the truck, at least mine was. But, the truck did ok with it. A HD truck would be more comfortable, but, may not be entirely necessary. I mentioned in another thread that my concern with the f150 is that by shaving weight off of the truck (aluminum), they have increased payload, but, it may be at the expense of stability when towing.

It will all come down to your comfort level of you're within the weight parameters. I personally wanted a little more comfort and ultimately upgraded trucks, but, my f150 did the job and I never felt unsafe. I did plan back roads only of traveling in windy conditions and living in Florida, we're all flat land, so, didn't have to worry about hills, much less mountains.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:25 AM   #23

Well a few points for you.

Agree the trailer is a lot for any half ton. Its not a brand problem but a math problem. That said for the money the geny costs I think there are lighter cheaper and more proven solutions.

The issue is you will already have a heavy tongue weight. Adding a propride (i would suggest when towing that heavy with a half ton) is, it too is very heavy making your weight problem worse. With both hitches you will have over 350lbs in just hitch weight and you will likely have about 1100lbs of tongue weight on top of that. That puts you at 1450 out of your payload leaving 400lbs for passengers and any gear or accessories. BTW I think max tongue weight with a wdh on a 19 ford reciever is 1250lbs but check your reciever sticker. My 2016 F150 was 1100 with a WDH I think.

My guess is you will be over on your reciever weight, rear axle and maybe your gross weight as well from my experience. I towed a 7k TT with a half ton and propride. Getting the rear axled close was a LOT of load shifting and work leaving things at home frequently. I was able to make it work for a few years but upgraded trucks to a 350 because I really liked my trailer. Yes its overkill but I was tired of weight and stability issues.

I have never used a geny but I have heard of them before. I looked at eveything to help stabilize my setup. More proven and lighter solutions to resolve porposing would be a well setup wdh, timbrems, roadmaster active suspension, even airbags. None would solve your weight issue but they would weigh less than the geny you are looking at. While these will not provide a smoother ride while towing they will fight and/or stop proposing with a lower weight penalty which in your current situation will be important to you later.

Hope that helps in your decision some. Best of luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:56 AM   #24

I agree I would be more worried about the TV than the hitch in this situation.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You keep using the term "geny". That usually means a generator, which you haven't mentioned in your thread about WDHs. I'm confused.
I glad to see it wasn't just me
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguminey View Post
Roger that I’m researching on that too I believe I’ll be ok judging what the empty tongue weight is on the units I’ve looked at I’m really just trying to find out if the geny is worth it at this point
that hitch is designed for someone towing many different trailers that needs to adjust for each one. Think Rancher or trailer mover. Overkill and waist of money in this case.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #27

I use a 1400 lbs Curt round bar WDH plus two Curt anti Sway bars to tow a 9000lbs/34ft total camper with my F150 and it does fine.

My F150 does have HDPP, though .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181013_124026_2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	221923  

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #28
Grammar Pedant

I think we answered the Gen-Y Hitch question. Whatever problem that thing was designed to solve, doesn't really exist on a travel trailer. So, the cost and weight that it adds is unnecessary. Stick with a standard WDH (Equal-I-Zer 4-pt, Blue Ox, etc.).

Now on to the math. Here is the specified trailer floorplan:

Because this is a bunkhouse with a rear "bedroom" area, I'll assume that there at least 2 kids in play, plus a full set of parents. Fully clothed, mom and dad tip in at 350 and the two kids tip in at 200 combined. That's ~550 lbs of human being.

Add 50 lbs of "stuff" that gets brought into the truck in the way of gear, bags, electronics, and so on. Add 50 lbs for the WDH. Add another 150 lbs for stuff in your truck bed: bikes, firewood, tools, toys, and other items. If you have added Line-X, a topper, or any other accessories, you'll have to count those, too.

But, figure right around 600 - 900 lbs for a family of 4 and all their gear. I think my numbers above total to around 800 lbs. I'll drop 50 lbs off that and use 750 lbs.

You have a payload of 1846 lbs. 1,846 - 750 = 1,100 lbs. That's what you have left for a trailer.

Assume a properly loaded trailer drops around 12.5% of its weight onto your hitch. So, a fully loaded trailer needs to weigh at or less than 1100/.125 = 8,800 lbs.

The trailer you specified has a fictional dry weight of about 7,000 lbs. Add to that 1,500 lbs for factory options, dealer options, batteries, cookware, food, clothes, bedding, toys, TVs and electronics, DIY upgrades, and everything else in or on that trailer. So, going down the road, expect that to weigh in at about 8,500 lbs.

8,500 lbs < 8,800 lbs. Quick numbers work out. It's close. If you're a family of 5 instead of the 4 I assumed, it makes a difference. If you're a 6'6" 325 lb former left tackle for the Alabama Crimson Tide, then it makes a difference. If you're dropping in a 900 lb quad in your truck's bed, it makes a difference. And, so on.

The math is pretty simple, really. Take inventory of what you're packing and who's in the truck. Done and done.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #29

I think the OP will run out of receiver rating with that TT and a ProPride. Brochure dry tongue weight is 899 lbs. Thats probably low but for speculative purposes I'll use it.
Add these items to the TW.
Propane 60 lbs
Batteries 90 lbs
ProPride 150+ lbs
Stuff in the cargo hold and under the bed 200Lbs

200=
1399 lbs.
You need to check your receiver rating to see if you can carry that weight.
1400 lbs from your 1846 lb CCC leaves 446 lbs. Thats what you can carry in your truck.
Add up all passengers and stuff that may go in the bed and I bet you'll be over your trucks CCC.
With that being said the HA/PP hitches are great. BTDT with an HA. If you can make it work then you'll love towing with one.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote