Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 AM   #1

Geny

Hello everyone first time poster and soon to be first time TT owner, the wife and I are about to buy a Salem 30KQBSS and I am trying to narrow my wdh setup down. I am debating a Propride and just forgetting the rest but the price is hard to swing but the real reason I am here is I’m asking for personal experiences with the geny.

I have found countless reviews of people saying it’s a pretty great hitch but there’s really nothing except a couple dead threads here with using it in a wdh setup. I just want to know is it a gimmick a waste of money or what? I’d most likely pair it with an equalizer 4pt but I’m just looking for feedback

To help with your response I’ll be towing with a 19 F150 3.5 max tow 7000lb gvwr I’m rated at 12700

Thanks everyone
bguminey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Well, without knowing what you'll be towing with, it's kinda hard to answer your questions. You don't have your tow vehicle info in your profile.
I have a F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package and pull my 26' TT with a 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH.
It is rock solid is a perfect combo.
BUT there's no debate that the ProPrides or Hensleys are great. The debate is whether you NEED one for your particular combo.
For me, I see no reason to spend that much money for my combo. I spent $400 for my Equal-i-zer and it's worked perfectly for the past 14 years, on two different trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:51 AM   #3

My apologies I was going to add that to the post I’ll update both but I also have a 19 F-150 3.5 max tow 7000lb gvw rated at 12700 off the bumper
Old 01-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguminey View Post
My apologies I was going to add that to the post I’ll update both but I also have a 19 F-150 3.5 max tow 7000lb gvw rated at 12700 off the bumper
what's the yellow payload sticker say? it'll say Tire and Loading at the top and "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs.". it's on the driver's door side.
forget towing capacity because you'll run out of payload capacity WAY before coming close to that number. Trim level has a lot to do with actual payload capacity. Higher trim levels, like the Platinum or Lariat, lowers payload capacity due to the weight of all the bling.
with a fictional dry tongue weight of 899lbs., you can figure on having a loaded tongue weight of around 1100lbs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-14-2020, 05:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
what's the yellow payload sticker say? it'll say Tire and Loading at the top and "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs.". it's on the driver's door side.
forget towing capacity because you'll run out of payload capacity WAY before coming close to that number. Trim level has a lot to do with actual payload capacity. Higher trim levels, like the Platinum or Lariat, lowers payload capacity due to the weight of all the bling.
1846 is my payload
Old 01-14-2020, 06:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
1846 is my payload
That's not bad, my 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 Ecoboost has 1828lbs of payload capacity.
BUT I'm not towing a 33' TT.
So you'll need to weigh your TTs loaded tongue weight and subtract that number from your 1846 number. Then subtract 100lbs for the WDH and weights of driver, passengers and truck cargo. Hopefully you'll have some payload left over.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
That's not bad, my 2014 F150 SCREW 4x4 Ecoboost has 1828lbs of payload capacity.
BUT I'm not towing a 33' TT.
So you'll need to weigh your TTs loaded tongue weight and subtract that number from your 1846 number. Then subtract 100lbs for the WDH and weights of driver, passengers and truck cargo. Hopefully you'll have some payload left over.
Roger that I’m researching on that too I believe I’ll be ok judging what the empty tongue weight is on the units I’ve looked at I’m really just trying to find out if the geny is worth it at this point
Old 01-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Roger that I’m researching on that too I believe I’ll be ok judging what the empty tongue weight is on the units I’ve looked at I’m really just trying to find out if the geny is worth it at this point
You keep using the term "geny". That usually means a generator, which you haven't mentioned in your thread about WDHs. I'm confused.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
You keep using the term "geny". That usually means a generator, which you haven't mentioned in your thread about WDHs. I'm confused.
Geny is a hitch manufacture they make a torsional flex hitch that takes the up and down slap out of the ride google then they’re pretty cool
Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 AM   #10

Your likely tongue weight of the trailer is as much as #900 + 12% of the gear added.

My guess is over #1100.

The literature on the truck somewhere states a maximum frontal area of the trailer exceeds the tested vehicle frontal area nullifying the SAE tested max hauling ability.

Due to the length the potential sway will be at the maximum requiring a good anti sway hitch I would guess. Another #150 of hitch weight now at near #1300. Maybe more.

Thus, you are going to be at max everything.

Drive 60 and be very careful until the whole system is well sorted out.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #11

Can we disregard the trailer and focus on the function of the hitch I can choose a different trailer if need be thank you
Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #12
Grammar Pedant

Specificity and words matter. I agree with the sentiments above and had an incredibly difficult time trying to figure out what you were asking about. If you want to know more about a specific device, it's important to describe the device, spell it correctly, and, if possible, give some specs and links.

You casually mention a "geny," in lowercase, one-word. It's really tough to understand that that is meant to be a brand name or a specific device. In actuality, the device is a Gen-Y Hitch. More can be learned here.

I didn't spend much time looking at it. I would say that sway control is as important to me as weight distribution. Any hitch device I bought needs to have both.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #13

I've seen this product in the flesh at etrailer's will call and for the life of me, can't figure out it's purpose other than removing a grand from the wallet the purchaser. It's big, heavy, complex with lots of possible failure points. It also provides no weight distribution or sway control. Your F150 will be limited to about 500 pounds tongue weight without weight distribution, and a 30+ foot trailer will push that 150 all over the road. Taking the time to properly load your trailer will prevent the need for a hitch like this.

Also, go bigger on your truck or smaller on your trailer. Manufacturer dry weights are a useless measure when determining "can I safely pull it".
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
I've seen this product in the flesh at etrailer's will call and for the life of me, can't figure out it's purpose other than removing a grand from the wallet the purchaser. It's big, heavy, complex with lots of possible failure points. It also provides no weight distribution or sway control. Your F150 will be limited to about 500 pounds tongue weight without weight distribution, and a 30+ foot trailer will push that 150 all over the road. Taking the time to properly load your trailer will prevent the need for a hitch like this.

Also, go bigger on your truck or smaller on your trailer. Manufacturer dry weights are a useless measure when determining "can I safely pull it".
Ok so they make a shank for their hitch that lets you bolt any wdh head onto eliminating the solid state shaft, so you could still have weight distribution and sway control plus whatever added benefits this product may provide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9F1F037-B4F0-41F3-B5CA-7A9D458A4DEA.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	221836  
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Geny is a hitch manufacture they make a torsional flex hitch that takes the up and down slap out of the ride google then they’re pretty cool
Never heard of it and I've been a member of 7 different RV forums for over 15 years.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Can we disregard the trailer and focus on the function of the hitch I can choose a different trailer if need be thank you
The final choice of TV and trailer will have a major impact on the hitch you should choose. Rather than picking a hitch then trying to make the TV and TT fit it, I suggest you choose the TV and appropriate TT first than select a hitch appropriate for the combination.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #17

First, I have no experience with this GEN-Y hitch. I have used conventional drawbars / weight bearing hitches AND I have used a Hensley Arrow, which is similar to the ProPride. Also use an Equalizer 4P now with our camper.

It seems this hitch provides a "suspension point" at the receiver allowing for less harshness in the ride when towing. That's it. It is rather heavy all by itself and rather expensive, too. I'm not convinced it would be money well spent.

For towing heavy equipment trailers not requiring weight equalization / transfer, it may be a good idea. But I would rather get an Equalizer (which we have now) or a Hensley / ProPride (which we did have) for a travel trailer. These are designed specifically for our application and have an extended history of working well.
1999 Chevy Silverado 2500
campkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Ok so they make a shank for their hitch that lets you bolt any wdh head onto eliminating the solid state shaft, so you could still have weight distribution and sway control plus whatever added benefits this product may provide
Another issue I see with your picture: That thing is a mile long. You're going to be squatting with that trailer hitched up as is. Now you're going to put even more stress on your receiver and truck frame by adding unnecessary length to the hitch assembly and giving more leverage to all that movement.

There are people here that have been towing much longer than I have saying they've never heard of this, or seen it in use. It looks like a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist. You camper has suspension for a reason. As I said, proper loading will prevent the porpoising this thing is supposed to prevent, as will a tow vehicle that is capable of towing (not just pulling) your trailer safely. The cons are adding up far faster than the pros.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #19

I pulled a Salem 27dbk with an f150 (32'). Wasn't terrible, but, you'll have to stay on top of it. Trailer is 32' long. I have also pulled it with my 1 ton and it's better, but, I think that specific model isn't balanced the best as it really rode better a little nose down. Depending on how you load it up and what's in the truck, you'll probably be ok on weight, take it to the scales to make sure though.

As for that hitch, I don't think it's made for weight distribution, I'd stick with something a bit more conventional for the purpose of towing an RV. Equalizer is great, propride/hensley has a cult following and is believed to be the best, but, you pay for it.

Where are you located? I'm trading up to a fifth wheel on Monday and will have a blueox away pro to part with. Not saying it's the best option out there, but, it worked for us.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
I pulled a Salem 27dbk with an f150 (32'). Wasn't terrible, but, you'll have to stay on top of it. Trailer is 32' long. I have also pulled it with my 1 ton and it's better, but, I think that specific model isn't balanced the best as it really rode better a little nose down. Depending on how you load it up and what's in the truck, you'll probably be ok on weight, take it to the scales to make sure though.

As for that hitch, I don't think it's made for weight distribution, I'd stick with something a bit more conventional for the purpose of towing an RV. Equalizer is great, propride/hensley has a cult following and is believed to be the best, but, you pay for it.

Where are you located? I'm trading up to a fifth wheel on Monday and will have a blueox away pro to part with. Not saying it's the best option out there, but, it worked for us.
I live in Pittsburgh I’m about to just go trade the truck after hearing how everyone says it’s a pos I’m not sure how Ford sells a million of them and rates them as high as they do if they can’t tow and get pushed and pulled everywhere