Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
I love irony.
Deleted by corn18.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

Why do people get so righteous? You're sounding a bit edgy.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Why do people get so righteous? You're sounding a bit edgy.
I agree. I would like to apologize for that. This is not the way of the forum. I would like to go back and edit all my snarky out but it's too late (edit option is gone).
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

Way to be man.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:12 PM   #25

You can, but life will be better in the drivers seat of a 1/2 ton with a v8 or boosted V6.

I lasted a week and 40 miles with my Rpod and Tacoma before I bought an f150. Not to mention that pod had 1/2 the tongue weight of a geo pro.
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #26
Grammar Pedant

It’s important to remember what the OP actually wrote. He owns the truck. He’s shopping for an RV. As we give advice and offer opinions, we should do so within the constraints of the OP’s situation.

While I suppose they may exist, I’ve never seen a dealer who would allow a prospective buyer to completely load up a trailer with all their gear and take it to scales to see if it would work out. I’ve only ever seen cases where the buyer is forced to work with hypothetical situations and must extrapolate.

So, an RV shopper is going to have to make some educated guesses to generate some data. Think about this being closer to engineering than pure science.

If you assume everything lands at the bare minimums on weight, this proposed combo works out great. It’s also risky and probably a considerable distance from reality.

If you take a more conservative approach based on others’ experiences, you land where bikendan was way back on page 1.

But, of course, none of this is prescriptive. Each of us can do as we please ... and that is a great thing!

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #27
Texas Geo Dawg

Did he say what WDH he went with ? Looking for my 19FBs
TexasGeoPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:27 AM   #28

Use the travel trailer (TT) gross trailer weight rating (GTWR) as what you will more likely be pulling, then figure 13-15% of the GTWR as tongue weight. This will help prevent you from overloading your tow vehicle (TV). Don't forget to subtract the weight of the Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) from your TV cargo carry capacity.
Yup, until you have the TV & TT on hand for actual measurement, it is all a math excercise using factory specs to make the best guesstimate in choosing a TT.
TT factory specs may be true but are severely incomplete. The dry weight is nowhere near the ready to camp weight. The speced tongue weight is based on the dry weight leaving the factory, no battery, empty propane tank(s). Also, part of the GTWR is what gets carried as tongue weight, at least on single axle trailers. Example: My TT has 3500# axle with a GTWR of 3877#, factory tongue weight 377#, 3097# dry weight, CCC 780#.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGeoPro View Post
Did he say what WDH he went with ? Looking for my 19FBs
He said he’s running a harbor freight brand. Not sure I would go that route, but he says it’s working for him.
SkiBum21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #30
Texas Geo Dawg

Thank you
Old 06-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #31

I realize the thread is old, but I wanted to reply to it in case anyone else can benefit. I have a 2020 Epro 19 fbs. I pull it with an F250; a tow vehicle from a previous, much much larger, TT. I am presently looking at a Taco to downsize to a, not so specific TV, hence discovering this thread. My 19 fbs loaded or "wet" is #3660 with a #640 TW and a 3020 axle wt. (Yellow sticker dry wt . is 3246) this is loaded to go with 6 gals of water in FW tank and dual 6volt deep cycle batteries. As you can see Im at max TW. By losing FW in the tank and the addition of a WDH I expect TW to reduce to mid 500s. One thing omitted here is that some of the weight redistributed is returned to the axles of the TT and off the TV payload. Also, I can store the FW no longer in the FW tank in a portable tank behind the axle for a counter weight when towing to my destination. I added up all the other weights of my cargo, including the hitch (which is btw not TW but rather is counted as payload) and Im under max payload by 120lbs. This includes spouse and 11lb dog, misc. etc. Also, worth mentioning is the 7ft width as compared to an 8ft width; this helps reduce significant drag for towing. Other posters of this thread were entirely correct when commenting on those "brochure" dry wts regarding tongue weights and especially single axle TTs. My specs are way under the max tow wt. , but the max payload was getting close. I have read that the Anderson WDH doesn't move as much wt. back to the TT as conventional WDHs like my Husky; that would be interesting to verify or debunk.
Bartski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:32 AM   #32
Trailer Park Supervisor

When calculating whether or not you are under the maximum allowed tongue weight, which is commonly around 500 lbs for a lot of mid sized vehicles, you cannot 'deduct' what a WDH is moving to the front axle. In fact, you have to add the weight of the WDH to the weight of whatever is on ball before WDH is added. So if your ball weight is already at 500, in my case my WDH is 80 lbs, therefore my tongue weight is 580 lbs, which would put me over that 500 lb limit. This is why I went with F150 over the 4Runner I wanted.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #33

Agree, never exceed Tongue load. The hitch is payload on the vehicle not tongue load because it is attached to the vehicle side. In my prior post I had already added my hitch weight and bars to my payload. never exceed max payload. Both add payload.
Your post does illustrate the importance of proper receiver hitch rating, as the tongue load and hitch do load in the receiver. The Taco is rated 640 tongue load and has a Class IV receiver 1000/10,000 max.
The 4 runner is rated 500 max tongue load but has a higher payload. I love 4 runners, btw.
I got my wet weights (640 tongue load) on a CAT scale with twin batteries, 6 gals fresh water and both propane tanks full. I can move to a single 12 volt and drain the 50lbs fresh water and be about 535ish with WDH not engaged. In my first post i was referring to the weight re distribution effects of deploying my WDH; therefore, sending an unknown weight back to the trailer axle and off my truck payload. I might be able to re employ the twin 6 volts system with that.
Bartski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro