Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #1

GeoPro 19FBS weight capacity

I'm pretty new here, so apologies if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. (I did search though...)

Has anyone been able to stay within the 15% tongue weight? The dry tongue weight is 14%. So basically everything over 34 lbs has to be counterbalanced behind the axle. Except the only space behind the axle is the fridge and the shower. And I don't use (nor want) a generator. I just don't understand the engineering for this particular model. (And I didn't know a thing about tongue weight until after I bought it.)

Dry tongue weight 480lbs, 2 batteries 135lbs, 2 20lbs propane -- 655lbs -- all on the A frame that transfer directly onto tongue weight. Not a drop of fresh water and nothing in the passthrough. You'd have to close to capacity at 4340 and properly balanced. And alot of us are driving SUVs with 5000 tow capacity and 500lb tongue weight max. At 4000 lbs, it's already 55lbs over the 15% hitch weight.

The best solution I've come up with is 100lbs in the fridge & shower, pull a propane tank 37 lbs and carry 100 lbs of water in the black tank. That should allow me to put some equipment in the pass-through. I'll know for sure next week when my tongue hitch scale arrives.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

The 15% is a guide not gosple. Do not overthink things.

Do take the setup to a CAT scale and weigh loaded ready to camp. Do NOT unhook the trailer on the scale. Weigh the truck alone, and both together.

Dry weights mean almost nothing they are the trailer with little, and no options.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:42 AM   #3

the 10-15% tongue weight is the recommended weight to prevent sway, being over that weight is no big deal as long as your hitch and towing rig can handle the tongue weight.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Texas Geo Dawg

Great question

I have towed mine over the 15% limit the last 2 summers with no issues, but this 2022 trip is extra long so I also want to get the tongue weight closer to specs. I downloaded the Cat Scale App and plan to weigh loaded , but also purchased the 2000# tongue scale today.

Please keep me posted on what works best. Thanks
TexasGeoPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:38 PM   #5

Everything I've read says over 15% can affect the TV. And yes, I realize I can probably get away with 16 - 17%.

It sill doesn't answer my question about how this particular model is engineered. It has the highest tongue weight percentage when it arrives and yet, by design, the bulk of the cargo storage is in front of the axle.

So I come back to my original question -- is anyone able to distribute their load properly without exceeding tongue weight guidelines?
Old 06-17-2022, 10:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Maybe you should have your thread moved to the Rockwood sub-forum since you are asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:15 AM   #7

Have a receiver welded to the frame and get one of https://www.amazon.com/MYCAN-Carrier...53650525&psc=1
Old 06-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #8

Oh, I really like this idea! Thanks!!
Old 06-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizmo View Post
Everything I've read says over 15% can affect the TV. And yes, I realize I can probably get away with 16 - 17%.

It sill doesn't answer my question about how this particular model is engineered. It has the highest tongue weight percentage when it arrives and yet, by design, the bulk of the cargo storage is in front of the axle.

So I come back to my original question -- is anyone able to distribute their load properly without exceeding tongue weight guidelines?
The reason the bulk of storage is in front of the axle is because the unit is a single axle and almost 21 ft in length. Are you using a WDH? If so, how much weight can you safely transfer to the TV according to it's GAWR's? Your limiting factor appears to be the TV max TW. This problem is common with small SUV's.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:36 PM   #10

Ok. Just need to dig around and find it. Thx.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

No WD on the TV because it’s a unibody. This particular design has 80lbs more TW than others in their lineup. Had I understood the TW issue, I would have likely purchased a different unit. I don’t think it’s impossible, it’s just a bitch figuring it out. I’ve already gotten it level, with only 2” sink on my TV, and it seems to tow fine, with no sway. I just got to make sure I’m not doing anything that will harm the TV or make it dangerous to drive. Hence all the concern about TW. I also getting input from the TV forums and working with a local Rack-n-Toad shop.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:33 PM   #12

What tow vehicle do you have?
Old 06-18-2022, 07:42 PM   #13
Texas Geo Dawg

Link to towing calculator

Found this on you tube

https://learntorv.com/can-i-tow-this/

Another GeoPro owner posted on YouTube under Wines Pines and Canines, they have some good info.
TexasGeoPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
What tow vehicle do you have?
2017 Audi SQ5. 4400lb tow capacity in US, 5500 in Europe. Payload is 1050 in US, 1400 in Europe.

I travel alone or with one other person so no problem with payload or TT CC. Cargo is less than 300lbs, excluding batteries and propane on the A frame. 135 batteries, 40 propane and 75-100 in the pass through. 100 behind the axel. Maybe 50 in dishes and clothes. (Pots and pans are in an ottoman in the shower, along with a gas firepit.)
Mizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:14 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
2017 Audi SQ5. 4400lb tow capacity in US, 5500 in Europe. Payload is 1050 in US, 1400 in Europe.

I travel alone or with one other person so no problem with payload or TT CC. Cargo is less than 300lbs, excluding batteries and propane on the A frame. 135 batteries, 40 propane and 75-100 in the pass through. 100 behind the axel. Maybe 50 in dishes and clothes. (Pots and pans are in an ottoman in the shower, along with a gas firepit.)
There's rarely a standard payload capacity number. It's a model-specific number based on trim level, configuration and specs. That's why there's a door sticker with its payload capacity, as equipped, when it left the factory.
Post a pic of your sticker, it should be somewhere around the driver's door.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #16

Sorry, that is my payload from the sticker. The 1400 Europe must be an estimate.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry, that is my payload from the sticker. The 1400 Europe must be an estimate.
Then that is probably based on a base model. Brochure/website payloads are usually a max number, based on a base version of the vehicle.
For example, the F150 can have a max payload of 2238lbs. But that is based on a base regular cab XL version.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #18

I don't believe that I saw anyone mention what items are typically included in the factory dry tongue weight. Some of what you are counting may be redundant with stock tongue weight. For example, the EMPTY propane tanks may be figured into the tongue weight. Since batteries are usually not factory items, they are NOT included in tongue weight.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-11957.html

As for loading, there is plenty of room in the rear bath and shower to load items. We routinely carry "beach toys" (inflatables, air pump, and so on) in duffel bags, and that stuff is heavy. I'd stuff it in the bathroom. Furthermore, the food in your fridge can weigh a lot. Liquids, in particular, are heavy.

Don't over think this. You have adequate space behind the axle(s) to REDUCE your tongue weight. Plan your loading, and use some ingenuity to balance your loads.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:15 PM   #19

P.S. If you really want to impact tongue weight, drop the FCLA (flooded cell lead acid) battery, and replace it with a LiFePo4. More capacity, far less weight.

A 100 AH rated LiFePo4 can deliver about 80% of its rated charge before needing recharging. It can be recharged on the order of 8 to 10 times as many times as a FCLA. It weighs about 25 pounds.
Meanwhile, a group 24 weighs in around 70 pounds and can only deliver 35 AH before requiring recharge.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=lifepo4...n-aware-v1_1_6

Also note that a LiFePo4 can be stored inside the rig, reducing tongue weight, because they don't outgas. Hell, you could even put it somewhere in the rear of the rig...say in the cabinet under the vanity. Run some number 8 wire forward to tie into the Converter and from there forward to run the tongue jack.

I am being somewhat flip, but your rig can be loaded to avoid making tongue weight unmanageable for your TV.

Except that...

I'll also point out that, at GVWR, your rig is slightly overweight for your Audi. The rig's GVWR is 4479#. The Audi is rated to tow 4400 to 4410 depending on model. Furthermore, dry tongue weight is 479# out of that 4479 GVWR, which is 10.7% of GVWR. In other words, you have room to add nearly 193# to the tongue (including battery/propane/etc.) before exceeding 15%.

Except that...

The payload capacity of the Audi is 1047#. With a WDH (add 100# to tongue weight and payload), your TV could handle the 600+# of tongue weight if you pack lightly in the car and you and your passenger are not heavy people. But at 772# for 15% tongue weight plus WDH, that leaves 275# for ALL the rest of the payload in the Audi...including humans! You and your companion had better be downright skinny.

What's clearly the case here is that you have at least slightly more RV here than you have TV. Which means, don't pack the rig to its max. Use the bathroom for some heavy stuff. Think long and hard before you add a receiver hitch and carry basket to the rear of the rig. The carrier is 60#. The hitch will be another 60# if you're lucky. And then there's what you put on it. You don't have 120+# to spare with that Audi TV. And adding all that weight out beyond the rear bumper may significantly overdo the change in the balance of power, and your Audi isn't NEARLY enough TV to handle the tail wagging the dog scenario this might provoke.

I know you are all-in on this deal, so you're going to have to do some real math and hone your loading skills...AND TRAVEL LIGHT. Repeating, you have, by definition, more RV than your Audi is designed to handle. And if you pack the Audi with a spouse, two kids, a dog or so, and luggage, you won't have the payload capacity to tow a utility trailer and each eat an ice cream cone...to say nothing of a nearly 4500# camper.

Others mentioned the scale. In your case, you have NO MARGIN FOR ERROR, so you had better do some practice packing and get to the scale at a slow time so you can experiment and get some actual facts about your rig's loaded weight, tongue weight, loaded weight of the Audi, and so on. Don't guess. You can't afford to be wrong.

I wish you luck. This is NOT scolding. This, instead, is fair warning that you bought all your Audi can handle and more. Before you put your family and others on the road in jeopardy towing this rig with your TV, invest some time in learning the facts about weights and balance...not only for the rig but for the entire combo.

I truly wish you well, and I hope you come to scoff at me for making a mountain out of a mole hill. But the numbers don't lie. You have more rig than your Audi is designed to handle.

Last point. The GeoPro is a boondocker's dream. This means traveling wet. Water weighs 8.3# per gallon. Between fresh, grey and black, you have 91 gallons of capacity. That's 755# of water alone. If you travel out wet, that's 31 gallons of fresh: 257#. If you boondock, that means no dump station nearby...more than likely you'll travel home VERY wet and heavy. On your return trip, you can dump the fresh as you pull out, but if your black and grey tanks are full, they'll weigh in at 498#...500 pounds. Your entire cargo carrying capacity is 1100#. Since the bathroom is in the back, it's HIGHLY LIKELY that the black tank is right under the toilet (30 gallons), and the grey may be forward a bit...closer to the axles. But a full black tank is BEHIND the axles, so that will lever up on the tongue somewhat. Learn your rig and what happens to it as you use it. That full black tank could easily drop your tongue weight BELOW the 10% minimum required for towing stability.

Good luck.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:47 PM   #20
Site Team

This is why it's always recommended to research the tow vehicle's specs/capabilities before selecting an appropriately matched trailer.
A car like the OP's, is not truly designed for towing a full height TT. Especially with the unibody design. I would think that it has a frontal area restriction amount, that the GeoPro will surely exceed.

Tags
19fbs, weight