Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 11:49 PM   #1
esc

GeoPro hitch or bumper addition

Hi everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a GeoPro 20BHS. The trailer does not come with a hitch receiver or a bumper. Does anyone know if these are things that can be added to this trailer? Has anyone done this? I am not finding anything definitive online.

Thanks!

2021 Rockwood Geo Pro G20BHS
2019 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 4x4
esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:12 AM   #2

Congrats on the new trailer! Given that the trailer did not come with a bumper or a (rear?) hitch receiver, I would recommend against retrofitting the trailer. Not only to avoid stress to the components, but you would also have to take the weight of any added materials into account for the trailers cargo carrying capacity.

Are you looking to add like a bike rack? I've seen quite a few GeoPros with bike racks on the front tongue which seem to work well.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #3
esc

Thank you for some good advice! I would like to add a rear hitch receiver so that I can use my bike rack. But, you’re right in that the trailer may not be designed to do this. I’ll look into the tongue rack more. Maybe a ladder rack would work.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Thank you for some good advice! I would like to add a rear hitch receiver so that I can use my bike rack. But, youíre right in that the trailer may not be designed to do this. Iíll look into the tongue rack more. Maybe a ladder rack would work.

Bike racks and trailer rear bumpers donít bode very well. Unless you get the rear bumper reinforced I wouldnít do it. Seen and heard many horror stories of bike racks snapping and bikes being drug down the road. Even seen it happen once. Remember, there is a ton of bounce back there.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:04 PM   #5
esc

Thanks for your advice! How would I reinforce the frame? Is this something my dealer would do? Or would I find a third party shop in town?

Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for your advice! How would I reinforce the frame? Is this something my dealer would do? Or would I find a third party shop in town?
You need a welding shop, not a RV dealer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #7

Bike hitch

Ran into the same issue with heavy ebikes. My solution is to install a front hitch to my GMC Canyon. The bike rack on the Geo Pro is too high and will not support the heavy ebikes. I was advised my some to not try to install any retro-hitch to the end of the trailer...
madhuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a GeoPro 20BHS. The trailer does not come with a hitch receiver or a bumper. Does anyone know if these are things that can be added to this trailer? Has anyone done this? I am not finding anything definitive online.

Thanks!
Rockwood Geo Pro, 20BHS in January of 2020 ( Not Mine Check his Youtube.

( 33 Min Mark )
Click image for larger version

Name:	bikerCK.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	253760

As others have said get it professionally welded on.
PS: it's a good Video all of his videos are worth seeing.
2017 4Wheel Camper Hawk
Trail West 2 Horse Trailer
San Diego Area
Inciter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #9

Another thing to consider--the bike rack you currently have may not be rated for RV use, so going to the trouble of adding a receiver might also include purchasing a new bike rack. How many bikes are you looking to haul? We were leaning towards the 20BHS at first but ended up going with the 2509s. One of the features I liked about the 20BHS was the outside bike door the lead to the bottom bunk storage area. Have you considered stowing the bikes in there?

Adrien
adrienbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRockz View Post
Bike racks and trailer rear bumpers donít bode very well. Unless you get the rear bumper reinforced I wouldnít do it. Seen and heard many horror stories of bike racks snapping and bikes being drug down the road. Even seen it happen once. Remember, there is a ton of bounce back there.
A problem with "bike racks snapping and bikes being drug down the road" is a problem with bike rack selection, not something caused by the bumper or trailer hitch.
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #11

Not true
Old 05-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRockz View Post
Not true
Perhaps you would be willing to share with me your definition of the term "bike rack snapping".
Adrian Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #13
esc

Thanks for all the input!

We just went camping this past weekend and tried out the side storage for my kids' bikes. We fit two small mountain bikes- one is a boy's 19" and the other is a women's extra small. Wedged them in and difficult getting them out. I don't see fitting our two adult bikes in there.

I have four mountain bikes- 3 adult bikes and 1 kid bike. My youngest will be in an adult small/x-small soon.

I didn't realize there might be an issue with a bike rack specifically for trailers. My current hitch mounted rack is a Kuat NV for 2 bikes. I was hoping to extend it to 4 bikes, or use the rack and then just put 2 bikes in my truck bed. 4 bikes in my truck bed take up the whole space.

Thanks for the video link! I'll definitely check it out.

Tags
hitch