Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #1

Getting a new TV

My question is will I still need sway bars? I am in the process of acquiring a 98 Chevy Silverado 3500 duallie quad cab. It's a 2 wheel drive with the vortex 454. My trailer is the Salem Cruiselite 181bhxl.

Yea it's a lot of truck, but we're planning for the future in case we trade our trailer in for a bigger one or toy hauler or fifth wheel.

Sent from my miniature all thumbs computer (iPhone5s) using Forest River Forums
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:19 AM   #2

Hi Night Stone, my previous trailer was a 22' TH and I "had" a 97 Chevy dually with the 454. My trailer didn't even make the truck squat a bit and I personally never ran away bars or WDH. I then bought a newer Ford F250 Diesel (milage is waaayyyy better) and when I did that I ended getting a WDH and sway bar. Trailer pulled beautiful. We are now taking delivery of our new Stealth WA2916 and will be transferring my setup over to that. The tongue waights are so close that it's pretty much a direct transfer.
My suggestions for your truck though would be a hypertech programmer, cold air intake and flowmaster. Those three things on my old Vortech really woke her up a lot and it purred.

Good luck
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post
Hi Night Stone, my previous trailer was a 22' TH and I "had" a 97 Chevy dually with the 454. My trailer didn't even make the truck squat a bit and I personally never ran away bars or WDH. I then bought a newer Ford F250 Diesel (milage is waaayyyy better) and when I did that I ended getting a WDH and sway bar. Trailer pulled beautiful. We are now taking delivery of our new Stealth WA2916 and will be transferring my setup over to that. The tongue waights are so close that it's pretty much a direct transfer.
My suggestions for your truck though would be a hypertech programmer, cold air intake and flowmaster. Those three things on my old Vortech really woke her up a lot and it purred.

Good luck
Did you also have a brake controller?
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Old 07-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #4

Of course you MUST have a brake controller. It is the law in all states. Any trailer over 3000 pounds (I believe) must have working brakes
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #5

Yeah of course. Just because you have a 1 ton doesn't change anything really. Sure it's a bit more stable while towing, etc but you will definitely be using a brake controller. You'll fry your trucks service brakes if you dont, amongst other things.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post

Good luck
Flowmaster is OK on a 67 GTO or 69 Road Runner, way too loud when towing anything even with the quiet flows.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Flowmaster is OK on a 67 GTO or 69 Road Runner, way too loud when towing anything even with the quiet flows.
It's mild compared to the Cold Air Intake. When we would hit grade you could pretty much throw out the idea of having a conversation in the cab lol. however it did make a pretty big difference in performance. Just loving the fact we can run the air, play music and talk to each other in our diesel now.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post

I had a free flow type muffler on my last truck and yes it's way too loud even tho I had asked them I wanted one that wasn't loud when I had it installed. Guess they thought this wasn't loud and probably all they had. On highway driving the droning sound gets unbearable after on long trips.
So anything that will make more noise is out of the question, I am not here to wake camping neighbors up each time I need to use the truck. Besides the one ton is way more truck for my current trailer. I am good with that and won't be buying or trading a trailer anytime soon.

Sent from my miniature all thumbs computer (iPhone5s) using Forest River Forums
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent