Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #1

Gladiator tires

Anyone using these on their trailers? My tire guy has been selling them for years and says that they are a good D rated tire. He says he could get the GY endurance in but they are pricey. All of our trips are under 300 miles one way. Mulling this over for spring time purchase.
Mogs78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs78 View Post
Anyone using these on their trailers? My tire guy has been selling them for years and says that they are a good D rated tire. He says he could get the GY endurance in but they are pricey. All of our trips are under 300 miles one way. Mulling this over for spring time purchase.
If your stock tires are D rated I’d go up to E rating when replacing. I have no experience with the tires you mentioned but use Google to find opinions and real life experience on them. I alway go up a rating when replacing for an added safety step.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #3

I follow all the tire threads on this and other forums. Gladiator gets mentioned every once in a while as a good tire, but not enough times, IMO, to state anecdotally that it's as good as, for example, Sailuns.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #4

google search Gladiator...
Asian tire Co ( Vietnam? India? Russia? maybe China) imported by Scottsdale, AZ company.

Personally I pay a premium for the best tires so HOPEFULLY I don't have a problem on the side of the road. I know there are no guarantees...BUT it makes me feel more confident when driving and towing... tires I don't cheap out on. What is the difference of $50-$90 a tire when you may lose an hour or a day or worse with a flat on the interstate... maybe even damage your rig. Last time I had a flat with an E-rated 16 inch tire I about had a heart attack trying to change it in the heat after limping into a Rest Area on the interstate. A young man stepped up to give me a hand lifting the new tire up onto the lugs.

I certainly endorse going up a load range for a few bucks per tire more no matter which way you go. Get them balanced and get metal valves stems installed.

just my 2 cents...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #5

Sailuns seem to have good reviews, I just replaced our originals with the same, I’m happy with them, check out simpletire.com, I got them in 2 days and read reviews where others had ordered from Walmart and Amazon and when they showed up they were shipped from simpletire
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #6

I run Goodyear Endurance tires on both my trailers. See what your tire guy charges and then do an online search. I paid a little over $100 for each of my Goodyears. I'd rather pay a little extra upfront for excellent tires than pay a lot more for a replacement, not to mention the cost of fixing any damage, plus the inconvenience of being on the side of a busy road. The first utility trailer I owned came with cheap China bomb tires and I learned an expensive lesson from it.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #7

I purchased the gladiator tires 2 years and 6000 miles ago and have had no issues. Went from load range d to e.

2015 Tracer 3140RSD Touring
2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Blue Ox Swaypro BXW1500
mmangiarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmangiarelli View Post
I purchased the gladiator tires 2 years and 6000 miles ago and have had no issues. Went from load range d to e.

Thanks. Doesn’t look like either the Goodyear or the Gladiator comes in an E for my size
Old 11-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #9

I put 4 gladiators on my 16' enclosed trailer after having a blow out on the way to Sturgis in 2018. Went up 1 load range to D and have towed the trailer about 2100 miles since. Was a little worried at first, but the tires seem to be doing great.
Jaye
Old 11-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #10

I have run GY Endurance tires for peace of mind, $125 at Discount Tire
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
If your stock tires are D rated I’d go up to E rating when replacing. I have no experience with the tires you mentioned but use Google to find opinions and real life experience on them. I alway go up a rating when replacing for an added safety step.

Thanks. I’m not seeing an “E” in my size ST215/75R14 from anyone ???
Old 11-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
google search Gladiator...

Asian tire Co ( Vietnam? India? Russia? maybe China) imported by Scottsdale, AZ company.

Personally I pay a premium for the best tires so HOPEFULLY I don't have a problem on the side of the road. I know there are no guarantees...BUT it makes me feel more confident when driving and towing... tires I don't cheap out on. What is the difference of $50-$90 a tire when you may lose an hour or a day or worse with a flat on the interstate... maybe even damage your rig. Last time I had a flat with an E-rated 16 inch tire I about had a heart attack trying to change it in the heat after limping into a Rest Area on the interstate. A young man stepped up to give me a hand lifting the new tire up onto the lugs.

I certainly endorse going up a load range for a few bucks per tire more no matter which way you go. Get them balanced and get metal valves stems installed.

just my 2 cents...

Good point on the metal stems, glad you mentioned that. “E” don’t seem to come in my size ST215/75R14. ????
Old 11-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I follow all the tire threads on this and other forums. Gladiator gets mentioned every once in a while as a good tire, but not enough times, IMO, to state anecdotally that it's as good as, for example, Sailuns.

Looks like I’ll save my nickels and pennies and go with GY. Thanks
Old 11-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I run Goodyear Endurance tires on both my trailers. See what your tire guy charges and then do an online search. I paid a little over $100 for each of my Goodyears. I'd rather pay a little extra upfront for excellent tires than pay a lot more for a replacement, not to mention the cost of fixing any damage, plus the inconvenience of being on the side of a busy road. The first utility trailer I owned came with cheap China bomb tires and I learned an expensive lesson from it.

Thanks. GY it is
Old 11-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
PhD, Common Sense

GY Endurance’s start at $93 from the VA Canteen (if you are eligible).

I have ST205/75R14, LR D tires. If I go to Endurance LR E, I also have to kick up the other numbers to at least ST225/75R15. I have no idea whether this is doable.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
GY Endurance’s start at $93 from the VA Canteen (if you are eligible).

I have ST205/75R14, LR D tires. If I go to Endurance LR E, I also have to kick up the other numbers to at least ST225/75R15. I have no idea whether this is doable.

Not looking to get new 15” rims also, prob just going to get the GY
Old 11-15-2020, 02:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs78 View Post
Thanks. I’m not seeing an “E” in my size ST215/75R14 from anyone ???
I don't get hung up on load range. It's just a function of the max load the tire is rated to handle. I'm more interested in getting a quality tire that isn't going fail due to poor design, materials, construction and/or workmanship. If your trailer came with load range D tires, they should cumulatively be rated for more than the weight sitting on them. Getting load range E tires is like buying a 3/4 ton truck when a 1/2 ton is all you need.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't get hung up on load range. It's just a function of the max load the tire is rated to handle. I'm more interested in getting a quality tire that isn't going fail due to poor design, materials, construction and/or workmanship. If your trailer came with load range D tires, they should cumulatively be rated for more than the weight sitting on them. Getting load range E tires is like buying a 3/4 ton truck when a 1/2 ton is all you need.

Agree
Old 11-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #19

Gladiator is a Brand owned by a company in Arizona as stated. Just one on a 5 page list of "Private Label" tire brands sold in the US.

https://www.tirebusiness.com/assets/PDF/TB9986063.PDF

None of these companies actually make tires they only own the "Brand" and sometimes the tread pattern/design.

Manufacture is outsourced to companies who have both "mold time" and the desire to sell tires cheaply. Tire outlets that are part of a Chain or members of a buying group will often have a Private Label tire that they use to compete with the big name brands. Partly because of price and some to keep the customer attached to them for future replacement.

Two issues arise. One is obvious. In order to get the lowest acquisition cost that means various offshore sources. Some good and some not worht mentioning the word quality with their product.

The company I retired from owned several brand names (Sailun) was one and they were very careful what the quality of the product from overseas was. Other companies are only interested in price.

Second issue is that many brands are merely regional. If the importer/marketer doesn't have distribution throughout the country then warranty service/replacement can be a drawn out task. In many cases the selling dealer merely gets an up front warranty allowance built into his purchase price and he's expected to "just handle it" when a customer returns with a defective tire. Other times it requires several phone calls, perhaps a few pictures, and then "we'll send you a replacement tire" to resolve.

The more widely available a tire is (Like Goodyear) the less hassle as a rule when a problem arrives.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires