Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
No sir you are incorrect. There is no configuration rated for that load.

The maximum an F150 can handle for receiver tongue weight is 1320lbs per Ford...page 38 in their towing guide.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r2_Dec21.pdf


The maximum for the Chevy 1500 receiver is 1250lbs per Chevy...page 10 in their towing guide.
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ring-guide.pdf
But those numbers make the max towing 13200 for the Ford, well above 9500. And the 1320 lbs on the tongue leaves literally almost a ton more payload available. A 2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost has more capability at every measurement than my 2004 Cummins 6 speed manual 2500 Ram had. What we were all used to 15 years ago in 2500 trucks is exceeded by today's 1500 trucks.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
BigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
But those numbers make the max towing 13200 for the Ford, well above 9500. And the 1320 lbs on the tongue leaves literally almost a ton more payload available.
I'm not sure what you mean but being within spec on one number (tow rating) doesn't mean you can exceed the receiver rating. You can't stack weight on the tongue of the truck's reciever up to the payload number...the receiver has a limit. For the F150 its 1320lbs...if you have a trailer that weighs 7,000lbs with a tongue weight of 1325 it is more trailer than any F150 is rated for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
A 2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost has more capability at every measurement than my 2004 Cummins 6 speed manual 2500 Ram had. What we were all used to 15 years ago in 2500 trucks is exceeded by today's 1500 trucks.
There is no denying that a modern half ton can be more capable than 15 year old 3/4 tons.
__________________
17 Chevy 2500 DC Long box Gasser Z71 4.10
18 Vengeance 28V
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #63
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjc99 View Post
Anyone have experience pulling a trailer with the new 6.6 liter gas engine. Curious as how it compares in performance and mileage to the 6.6 Duramax.
Motor Trend just did a driving summary of the new Chevy HD Trucks and as for the new gas 6.6 they liked it. I believe it was in the range of 450ft lbs. of torque. But if I'm pulling a large 5th wheel in an HD Truck which I am the Duramax is the way to go. If you were always going to stay with a smaller i.e. lighter TT then gas would be a good choice. MT also loved the new 3.6 I6 Duramax Diesel in the 1500 series.
Vetteman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman71 View Post
Motor Trend just did a driving summary of the new Chevy HD Trucks and as for the new gas 6.6 they liked it. I believe it was in the range of 450ft lbs. of torque. But if I'm pulling a large 5th wheel in an HD Truck which I am the Duramax is the way to go. If you were always going to stay with a smaller i.e. lighter TT then gas would be a good choice. MT also loved the new 3.6 I6 Duramax Diesel in the 1500 series.
Anything over 12,000 is getting into diesel territory , between 10,500 and 12,000 is grey and 10,500 and down gas does just fine diesel is over kill
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 888
After just running through a scale with our '12 2500HD and finding the actual payload cap. is substantially less than the door sticker, I'm hearing that GM uses the same 9500 lb GVWR across all 2500 models & options. So that means that a crew cab, 4x4, diesel and other options can reduce payload cap. quite a bit. Towing capacity won't change and that's what all the manufacturers brag about.

I'd be interested in hearing what scale weights 2500 owners are finding.
__________________
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I'd be interested in hearing what scale weights 2500 owners are finding.
7,810 lbs according to the CAT Scale.

Door tag says it should be at 7,376 lbs empty (9,500 lb GVWR - 2,124 lb allowable payload).

Paying for the crew cab, Denali package and heavy diesel up front......eats the payload up in a hurry. But since our trailer has a GVWR of 5,692 lbs and a scaled tongue weight of 760 lbs (loaded) we're still good.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
VernDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 233
FWIW. You can safely Adjust your WDH & loading for 12.0 percent tongue weight. 9,500 set at 12 percent is 1,140 pounds. 1500 pounds is poorly set up at over 16 percent tongue weight. Still a 9,500 pound TT is better towed by a HD.

I believe max receiver on 4th gen Ram 1500 to include 2019 Classic is 1,100 plus 10 percent or 110 pounds with WDH. I towed a 9100 pound TT with my 14 Ecodiesel and set my WDH to replace my unloaded steer axle weight and it still left my drive axle at 12 percent or 400 pounds over max rating. The new 5th gen Rams are better but I don’t know all their numbers by heart.
__________________

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Hclarkx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Granite Bay, Ca
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Torque. My 6.6 Duramax is 765 ft-lbs, and the new ones are 910 ft-lbs. Gas engines MIGHT be 400+ or so.

Horsepower gets you up the hills or through a head wind. Higher torque only means you can do that at lower rpm.

So I'm thinking you like the lower rpm since you can't feel or hear torque. Is a diesel at 2000 rpm quieter than a gas at 4000 rpm? I do like quiet.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Hclarkx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Granite Bay, Ca
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I'm not sure what you mean but being within spec on one number (tow rating) doesn't mean you can exceed the receiver rating. You can't stack weight on the tongue of the truck's reciever up to the payload number...the receiver has a limit. For the F150 its 1320lbs...if you have a trailer that weighs 7,000lbs with a tongue weight of 1325 it is more trailer than any F150 is rated for.

X2. And, I would expect rear axle loading to also become a potential limitation to tongue weight. Weight on the tongue transfers some truck and payload weight (forward of the rear axle) from the truck front axle to the truck rear axle. So the rear axle carries all of the tongue weight plus some transfer from forward of the rear axle. An equalization hitch reduces this leverage but might not neutralize it.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
After just running through a scale with our '12 2500HD and finding the actual payload cap. is substantially less than the door sticker, I'm hearing that GM uses the same 9500 lb GVWR across all 2500 models & options. So that means that a crew cab, 4x4, diesel and other options can reduce payload cap. quite a bit. Towing capacity won't change and that's what all the manufacturers brag about.

I'd be interested in hearing what scale weights 2500 owners are finding.
Not sure what year they started, but you can get the 10,000 lb GVWR on the 2500HD. My '16 has it. Pretty sure it is just a change of sticker for $$ more in price only.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 790
Car and Driver just did a first drive on the new 3.0 inline 6 diesel 2020 1500 Silverado and averaged 40.6 mpg! That was slow and easy, not towing backroads of Oregon but still, that is amazing. 460 ft-lbs of torque (same as new 6.6 gas) but at only 1500 rpm and that 10 speed vs the 6 speed. Same price as the 6.2 gas option on the 1500 trucks ($2495 over the 5.3). Only rated for 9300 pounds of tow but I bet that's just fine for 80% of the bumper pulls sold.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-diesel-drive/
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:19 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
BigH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
...9,500 set at 12 percent is 1,140 pounds. 1500 pounds is poorly set up at over 16 percent tongue weight. Still a 9,500 pound TT is better towed by a HD.

... .
My trailer, a toy hauler with more than 3,300ccc, is over 16% tongue weight with nothing more than fresh water in the tank.

If you have a truck that can handle the tongue weight I would rather have 16-18% tongue weight over 12% all day.
__________________
17 Chevy 2500 DC Long box Gasser Z71 4.10
18 Vengeance 28V
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Car and Driver just did a first drive on the new 3.0 inline 6 diesel 2020 1500 Silverado and averaged 40.6 mpg! That was slow and easy, not towing backroads of Oregon but still, that is amazing. 460 ft-lbs of torque (same as new 6.6 gas) but at only 1500 rpm and that 10 speed vs the 6 speed. Same price as the 6.2 gas option on the 1500 trucks ($2495 over the 5.3). Only rated for 9300 pounds of tow but I bet that's just fine for 80% of the bumper pulls sold.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-diesel-drive/

They have that in the Colorado now . With the 1500 it will be a great powerplant but will still be short on payload
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
They have that in the Colorado now . With the 1500 it will be a great powerplant but will still be short on payload
No the colorado is a 4 cylinder diesel, this is an all new 3.0 inline 6 cylinder. It has almost 100 more hp and 100 more ft-lbs of torque.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:53 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
VernDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
My trailer, a toy hauler with more than 3,300ccc, is over 16% tongue weight with nothing more than fresh water in the tank.

If you have a truck that can handle the tongue weight I would rather have 16-18% tongue weight over 12% all day.
Agreed THs are different than TTs. If toys go in the rear it’s often designed where tongue weight comes down once loaded. Yeah my lil truck would not like 1500 pounds of tongue weight. Not only would it be over max receiver even with WDH well I just suspect it would be too much. I’ve had 1,100 TW and with WDH that replaced the unloaded steer axle weight it handled well but you could tell it was near the practical end at least for that long (9,100 pound) trailer. Certainly it would have been better if there was more than just me in the cab.


Hersbird, I agree that new 3.0 liter diesel should be great for half ton appropriate loads and a very efficient tower. Also like a well tuned ED, f150 diesel, or Colorado diesel should also be able to average 30 plus mpg for a tank when unloaded and sticking to the speed limit.
__________________

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TVís max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:15 AM   #76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
No the colorado is a 4 cylinder diesel, this is an all new 3.0 inline 6 cylinder. It has almost 100 more hp and 100 more ft-lbs of torque.
It will still be short on payload
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
7,810 lbs according to the CAT Scale.

Door tag says it should be at 7,376 lbs empty (9,500 lb GVWR - 2,124 lb allowable payload).

Paying for the crew cab, Denali package and heavy diesel up front......eats the payload up in a hurry. But since our trailer has a GVWR of 5,692 lbs and a scaled tongue weight of 760 lbs (loaded) we're still good.
I was wrong, the GVWR on our truck is 10,000 lbs.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, lite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.