Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #1

GM Factory TPMS for Trailers

I have a 2020 Silverado that has the option for trailer TPMS. I need to install the sensors in the wheels of my Mini-Lite, and I was wondering if anyone has tried doing it themselves. I'm mechanically capable of such work and I would like to avoid a trip to the tire shop if possible.
I've seen a few videos of the process, but I would like to know if any of you fine folks have had any experience in the matter.
Thanks as always.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #2

I just spent the $60 and had it done at the tire shop. I've seen the YouTube videos on how to do it, but for $60 it was done in an hour.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I just spent the $60 and had it done at the tire shop. I've seen the YouTube videos on how to do it, but for $60 it was done in an hour.
I'm still keeping that option open of course, but for me the hassle of either towing my whole trailer to the shop or jacking it up and taking just the wheels is something I'd rather avoid. I know it sounds contradictory, but it's easier for me to remove one wheel at a time and do it myself at an easy pace.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #4

My tire shop couldn't get the sensors to program. I bought a $15 tpms tool on Amazon and it works great
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
My tire shop couldn't get the sensors to program. I bought a $15 tpms tool on Amazon and it works great
I didn't even give my tire shop the chance to try and program my sensors. While the tech was putting his equipment away I programmed my sensors in less than two minutes using the same Amazon relearn tool that you have. And since GM tires have to be reprogrammed every time you rotate tires, I'll get plenty of use from that relearn tool. I'm guessing most people with GM vehicles don't even know that and are running around with rotated tires that have never been reprogrammed.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #6

Yep, already got the relearn tool, should pay for itself pretty quickly.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I didn't even give my tire shop the chance to try and program my sensors. While the tech was putting his equipment away I programmed my sensors in less than two minutes using the same Amazon relearn tool that you have. And since GM tires have to be reprogrammed every time you rotate tires, I'll get plenty of use from that relearn tool. I'm guessing most people with GM vehicles don't even know that and are running around with rotated tires that have never been reprogrammed.
Ha, I just relearned a GM truck awhile ago. I do many in a week's time.

It's bad enough that I don't just take a customers word for which tire is leaking as they go by their tpms display. I physically check the tire to make sure it's low as they seem to get upset with me if I charge them for my wasted time when they tell me the wrong tire to pull off.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #8

I would have done it myself had I not been due for new tires. I programmed them when I got home.

I've replaced valve stems but on a heavier/sturdier tire, it's not easy and can be a bit hazardous to the digits. An E load range tire could be problematic. I have an auto lift and can use it as a giant press. It breaks beads easily with a properly shaped piece of 2x4. Without that I'm not sure I would try it.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Ha, I just relearned a GM truck awhile ago. I do many in a week's time.

It's bad enough that I don't just take a customers word for which tire is leaking as they go by their tpms display. I physically check the tire to make sure it's low as they seem to get upset with me if I charge them for my wasted time when they tell me the wrong tire to pull off.
I make it easy for my tire shop. I bring the tire in with an X marking the puncture and an arrow pointing to the valve stem so the tire remains in balance when it's remounted.

Tags
factory, tpms, trailer