Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

GM Oil Timing of Oil Change system...food for thought

Since my TV is a 2011 Silverado Duramax, I belong to the Duramax forum too. I have always been a stickler for maintaining all my equipment and changed the oil every 3K miles in all my vehicles. With the purchase of my first diesel, and that being a very technology integrated truck, I wanted to get some weigh in from other Dmax owners about this GM Oil Timing of Oil Change system that tells you when to change your oil vs you changing it by mileage. So, I posted a request for comments on the Dmax forum.

HAHA...not surprised at all, the responses were about as varied and sometimes as emotional as our tire and back bumper bike rack discussions on FRF. Anyway, one of the Dmax members pointed us to a 10 year old article basically announcing/describing GM's Oil Life System that began being integrated into their trucks around 2000. It is a very interesting and thought provoking article. I have a friend who has a 2007 Dmax with lots of miles on it and it's still running strong after changing his oil when directed by the GM OLS. Anyway, enjoy the read.

GM's Oil-Life System Improves Timing of Oil Change
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

On my 2005 Silverado I bought I strictly went by the als intervals as I drive minimum of 70 miles a day 5 days a week.
It normally came on at 7-8000 miles in the summer and 5- 6000 miles in the winter.
200k when I traded it and did not uae a drop of oil.

My duramax I change also with the als. Intervals.

My oil guy said todays oils are so advanced that your throwing money away at anything less then 5, 000 miles.
He's an oil man who sells oil telling me this.

Seen that article before but interesting none the less.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
DDC

When I had mine I went by the on board computer's determinations, what good is it paying for and have all that knowledge in the vehicle and then ignoring it. GM put a lot of research into that system and it works great. Also it saves putting all that half used oil into the waste environment system.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

the thing about the DIC is it is a approxmate,, it has no bearing on condition of filters or oil life, you can install a brand new fuel filter and reset the DIC and tomorrow it can clog up and still read 99%. with that being said I change my oil (rotella T6 ) at 6k miles , and I also do my 3 fuel filters every other oil change, oil change and fuel filter changes are cheap compared to being stranded or replacement of a engine. If you want your diesel to last you got to spend money on it, if you dont want to do that buy a gas engine.. Choices....

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I got my first GMC that had the Oil-Life System, I ask the oil changed places about it. They said I should still change oil at 3000 miles. When I bought my 2013 Silverado, I purchased a service program that has 6 years of oil changes included. They base the oil changes at 7500 miles or 20% of oil life. They even track it on Onstar to notify me. So GM must believe the program works. So much for the 3000 mile oil change at the quick lube.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
the thing about the DIC is it is a approxmate,, it has no bearing on condition of filters or oil life.
Actually it does monitor the driving conditions that the vehicle is experiencing, you can see this if you keep track of how the oil life monitor changes, comparing towing and non towing. Or of course you can just decide you know more than GM and do it your way.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not sure how my 2005 made it to 200k using gms dic oil change intervals and still didn't use oil.....
Old 11-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

As my truck is used mainly for towing and running errands when the DW is at work, I change once a year unless we have taken a longer trip. Even on the low years I still have 10% or more left on the DIC. That said, I have had an annoying oil leak and the dealer has change the oil in this one well before the DIC says as all was under warranty.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #9

Had a GM with 240,000 miles and only went by the oil change indicator. Used Synthetic oil and the GM oil filter at every oil change. Truck was always loaded and driven hard most of the time. My son purchased the truck when I got the new work truck and it is still going strong.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

Starting a thread or conversation about oil change intervals is like starting a conversation with people you don't know about religion or politics.

Diesel or gas, it doesn't matter, 3000 mile oil change intervals only take money out of your pocket and put it in the pockets of the oil change industry. Even if you do it yourself its oil & filter cost plus your time. I know GM has been working on the Oil Life System for at least 25 years. They should have it dialed in by now. I trust it. Mine seems to be accurate when I bounce it against the type of driving I have done. To be really confident in your oil change interval an oil analysis needs to be performed.

By the way, a good friend of mine used to work for GM testing filters. Back i n 1988 he told me GM was being super conservative with an oil change interval of 7500 miles. He stated the filters still had plenty of filter capacity left and the oil was still going strong. Air and fuel filters are another issue.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That does it.....
I'm pullin an oil sample next change
Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Camper Less Camping

When my DIC shows 15% oil life left, I change the oil...that's an 8500 mile interval...works for me

3K mile advertisement by oil service businesses is a joke...my DW's 4 cylinder call for 7500 mile oil changes & that little engine is screaming everyday going down the road.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Under my service program, GM doesn't cover my oil change till it reaches 20%.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Under my service program, GM doesn't cover my oil change till it reaches 20%.
25% at my dealer.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Actually it does monitor the driving conditions that the vehicle is experiencing, you can see this if you keep track of how the oil life monitor changes, comparing towing and non towing. Or of course you can just decide you know more than GM and do it your way.
If you read my post is has NO bearing on the condition of the filters or oil , it measures the approx life but not the actual life, their is no sensor before or after the filters to measure the condition or a way to analyze the oil, when I drain my oil @ 6k is is black as coal, it also gets a sample sent off to look at the condition. I dont care what the engineer who programmed the DIC command says. I do not have a problem spending money on my truck after the warranty is up because it is all my problems now, but everyone is different when it comes to vehicle maint schedules

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
If you read my post is has NO bearing on the condition of the filters or oil , it measures the approx life but not the actual life, their is no sensor before or after the filters to measure the condition or a way to analyze the oil, when I drain my oil @ 6k is is black as coal, it also gets a sample sent off to look at the condition. I dont care what the engineer who programmed the DIC command says. I do not have a problem spending money on my truck after the warranty is up because it is all my problems now, but everyone is different when it comes to vehicle maint schedules
As I said before " Or of course you can just decide you know more than GM and do it your way."
Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #17

Quote:
As I said before " Or of course you can just decide you know more than GM and do it your way."
Well I do know more then most engineers, I also have the training, degrees , ratings, and many years to prove it. I live in MI and know lots and lots and lots of engineers that work for the big 3 and Areospace, Most, if not all, cannot even change their own oil. and are clueless on vehicle maintenance. you might have a different opinion because you are a engineer, right?? can you pull you trans apart, rebuild or come to a diagnosis on a issue with your own vehicle and repair all buy your self?? I can. Not saying I know everything and most say I am full of it. but their are lots of issues on our vehicles and yes engineers do get it wrong.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Popcorn is ready!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Popcorn is ready!
Butter or kettle corn?
Old 11-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Change your oil after 1,500 miles and it will be black also. Black oil does not necessary mean bad oil. Oil has changed over the years it use to be not as pure as it is today and that is why we can go a lot longer between oil changes. In todays world the only time I have ever heard of any oil related issues, not taking into account changing it early, going longer, or not at all, is when the engine went dry due to a leak. Do what you feel comfortable with. I would not do it but my uncle never changed his only on any of his cars/trucks. He would just add oil when needed. He keep his vehicles for at least 10 years and well over 100,000 miles and never had any engine related issues. Who knows.