Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

GMC max trailer vs Ford max tow

I’m curious to hear opinions on which is better and why. Mostly a daily driver and occasionally pulling a 8k pound TT across country.

The GMC Sierra crew cab 4x4 with the standard bed 6.2 liter with max trailering package.

The Ford F-150 super crew 4x4 with standard bed 3.5 EcoBoost and max tow package.

Both have the 10 speed transmission. Seems like the Ford has a lower available gear ratio at 3:73.

I can not find exact payload numbers but am curious to hear what others have found. One thread stated there Ford has a payload sticker of over 2300 pounds. That’s impressive. The highest I’ve seen on the Sierra is one at 2140. But I’m not saying that’s the highest available.

Do either take the edge on real life towing? They both seem neck and neck on YouTube reviews.

Does either take the edge on durability and making it to 200k miles without major issues. I’m curious on if the turbo engine would hold up that long.

I would love to hear opinions on these as I’m looking to purchase one in the next few months as inventories replenish.
Black Feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Feather View Post
I’m curious to hear opinions on which is better and why. Mostly a daily driver and occasionally pulling a 8k pound TT across country.

The GMC Sierra crew cab 4x4 with the standard bed 6.2 liter with max trailering package.

The Ford F-150 super crew 4x4 with standard bed 3.5 EcoBoost and max tow package.

Both have the 10 speed transmission. Seems like the Ford has a lower available gear ratio at 3:73.

I can not find exact payload numbers but am curious to hear what others have found. One thread stated there Ford has a payload sticker of over 2300 pounds. That’s impressive. The highest I’ve seen on the Sierra is one at 2140. But I’m not saying that’s the highest available.

Do either take the edge on real life towing? They both seem neck and neck on YouTube reviews.

Does either take the edge on durability and making it to 200k miles without major issues. I’m curious on if the turbo engine would hold up that long.

I would love to hear opinions on these as I’m looking to purchase one in the next few months as inventories replenish.
In order to get that high of a payload on an F-150 is to order it with the Heavy Duty Payload package. You can also get the 3.73 with the Ford.

They use the exact same transmission so all the ratios are the same for the most part.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #3

I like the power and sound of the 6.2 the ford has good power but once thise hair dryers fail that is 5 k a peace. My choice would be the GMC.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I like the power and sound of the 6.2 the ford has good power but once thise hair dryers fail that is 5 k a peace. My choice would be the GMC.
6.2 uses premium only if that is a concern. 3.5L Ecoboost has more torque than the 6.2L GM and at a lower RPM.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

To some maby
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
6.2 uses premium only if that is a concern.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #6

There is no replacement for displacement
Jim7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #7

My brother in law has a 2017 Silverado 1500, nicely trimmed out crew cab shortbox, 6.2 and nice big towing mirrors, and his payload is just over 2000 lbs. He has a smaller Jayco trailer but has no issue keeping up with us through the mountains. Mileage is usually fairly similar towing. He probably has 80,000kms on it now and don't think he's had to fix anything yet. I know he put a new set of the same p-rated tires *stirpot* last summer that the truck came with stock.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
6.2 uses premium only if that is a concern. 3.5L Ecoboost has more torque than the 6.2L GM and at a lower RPM.
Gm recommends premium fuel but most use regular including me. I asked the dealer at delivery what they filled my truck with regular was the answer. I have the Silverado with max tow package and 6.2 and I can tell you that 6.2 is a beast.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #9

I cannot speak to the Chevy so I will let someone with experience cover them.

I had a 2016 3.5 EB with the 6 sp. Folks I know with the 10sp love theirs towing and not towing.

I found that pulling was not an issue and slowing it down was not an issue but once I got over 1000lb tongue weight it got pretty squirrely even after I tuned the WDH added timbrens, and LT tires. This was slightly over payload and I was able to adjust my load and fall within payload but wind would cause stability issues over 20 mph even at numbers. It may have just been MY trailer because I pull similar weight (shorter) and lighter trailers with no issues regardless of wind.

I loved the ford as a daily driver and pulled my 7200 lb trailer with minimal maintainence issues. I got tired of having to repack when leaving so I upgraded to a 1ton for the next trailer. If they offered the EB in a superduty I would have started there.

The durability issues I had were bolts on the exhaust manifold broke twice both under warrenty and fixed free. They saw this over time but believe mine were improper assembly (over touqued) so all were replaced the second time. The only other issue I had was overheating while towing on 105 degree day which I considered normal...i slowed down and could continue. When the temp dropped I never again had a problem. I sold it with 65k on it after 3 yrs.

Payload will be your problem. Depending on your option package things vary greatly. HDPP requires a lower trim truck. It may require a long bed or extended cab (no super crews). I was looking at Lariat or higher Supercrews and payload ranged from 1400-1800. My platnum was 1680. You cannot just add springs tires etc on the non HDPP because the frame is thicker which would be cost prohibited to upgrade. They are impossible to find used so most folks order them this way. I never could find the HDPP option until I dropped to XLT without a supercrew in 2016 and I just like the bling.

Max tow was 3.55 gearing with a electronic locking diff and a few more turns in the radiator for better cooling. I am not sure what happens when you change the gearing on the newer trucks with the 10sp but tow package had a few less loops for the transmission in the radiator and with the turbo in hot weather this was clearly important.

Some of this info is dated but the HDPP is still pretty close. Hope this helps you. Check the payload sticker before you buy and happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #10

If you are looking to have the most stable tow vehicle in half ton trim I would suggest looking at what tongue weight a wdh is required.

These trucks are tested per SAE J2807 to determine handling and stability under towing load; when the handling reaches a certain 'compromise' with X weight on the tongue (and some safety margin) it is determined that a wdh is required...the higher the tongue weight before needing a wdh the better.

Last I saw in a comparison of F150 to Chevy 1500 wdh requirements...the Chevy was considerably higher.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #11

3.42 gears is the best you can get on GMs 1500s.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #12

Personally, I wouldn't be pulling an 8K trailer cross country with either truck. 3/4T territory.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #13

I pulled a 7230# TT with the Ford before the new trans. Not 1 problem. Bigger trailer and it became wife's DD. Wife wanted a Ford Edge Titanium so the truck was given to my brother. He pulls a heavy cargo trailer at 28' daily. Now 211,000 miles with only oil changes, tires, and brakes.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #14

Max Tow is basically an option package. It combines all the necessary options required to get up to 13,200 pounds towable trailer weight.

Heavy Duty Tow package and Max Tow package both have the same suspension components, and cooling packages, the only real difference is the receivers max loads, 1220(varies by year) vs 1320 for the last few years. Everything else in the package is the fuel tank, upgraded rear axle with electronic locking 3.55 gears, which you can also get with the FX4 option, brake controller, upgraded bumper components that go with the 1320 receiver. I may have missed an item or two, but in a jist, this is what the Max Tow package is. It is only available with the 3.5 Ecoboost. It is a real money saver package, which would cost several hundred more to option everything separately except the receiver.

The 3.55 gears are perfectly matched to the EB for towing, especially now with the 10 speed.

But, regardless of if it has Max Tow or not, you are still limited by how much payload the truck has. Anything over an XLT, you will not be capable of towing a heavy trailer, you would run out of payload. Max Tow package or not, the Ecoboost has no problems pulling a heavy trailer. It has a diesel like torque and just pulls great. It also doesn't scream at high rpms like the V8's do, the only downside is lack of engine braking due to it's small displacement. On mine I installed a full Powerstops brake kit, no worries stopping it.

EDIT: For comparison, I just pulled up the GMC towing guide. The maximum trailer is 12,100 for the GMC Sierra 1500. That is with their maximum towing package and 6.2 engine. Not really in the same ballpark.
https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/gmc/...ng%20Guide.pdf

Quote:
12,100-lb rating requires properly equipped
Double Cab 4WD model with available 6.2L V8 engine and Max Trailering Package
What is even worse, you can not get the 6.2 in the lower trim levels, which means less payload, where at least with the F150 you can get the 3.5 and max Tow in an XL if you wanted to.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #15

Truthfully as nice as the newer 2500 / 250 ride why not just go to the next level. Regardless if you want gas or diesel. Either would be a good option.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
occasionally pulling a 8k pound TT
What makes you think the trailer weighs 8000 pounds? Daily driving with a gigantic engine or diesel and only occasional towing makes little sense to me as nice as a 350 dually might be. So what if you're pushing maximums those few towing few towing weekends?

Also, what's the concern about payload vs towing capacity?

-- Chuck
Old 07-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #17

For a travel trailer you will use up payload long before you reach towing capacity. It is amazing how many fixate on two things when trailer shopping. Dry Weight and towing capacity. Dry weight is only useful to the guy delivering it and for guesstimating possible wet weight, but only experienced campers know what they carry on average.

Towing capacity is based on SAE J2807 which is spec'd off 10% tongue weight. So in theory, provided you have enough payload after the people and stuff are in the truck and still have the what the receiver can carry plus the weight of the hitch, you could tow a 13,200 pounds trailer at 10% tongue weight. How many here actually tow a travel trailer with only 10% TW? Those who did, how did it handle? I did, oh, I don't recommend it.

So Payload is your key factor with Travel Trailers, you will run out of it on the average non unicorn half ton, and 3/4 ton diesel trucks long before you reach towing capacity.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post

EDIT: For comparison, I just pulled up the GMC towing guide. The maximum trailer is 12,100 for the GMC Sierra 1500. That is with their maximum towing package and 6.2 engine. Not really in the same ballpark.
https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/gmc/...ng%20Guide.pdf

Interestingly the Chevy is available with a 19100 GCWR (500lbs above anything in F150 trim). The Chevy is also available with 13,400 towing. (Edit: and you can still have it 4x4)

I guess they're not really in the same ballpark.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be pulling an 8K trailer cross country with either truck. 3/4T territory.
Dang, for once we agree
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
What makes you think the trailer weighs 8000 pounds? Daily driving with a gigantic engine or diesel and only occasional towing makes little sense to me as nice as a 350 dually might be. So what if you're pushing maximums those few towing few towing weekends?

Also, what's the concern about payload vs towing capacity?

-- Chuck

I feel the trailer will actually be less but figure 8,000 to be safe. I haven’t bought a new yet though but the front runner is 6,000 pounds UVW on the sticker. My current trailer is under 8,000 loaded. So I feel that the payload capacity of the GMC at around 2000 pounds will be sufficient. My current F150 payload is 1600 pounds and it pulls the current trailer ok but not suitable to go a long distance. Plus it’s old and grossly underpowered compared to either the 6.2 or 3.5EB. I’m really trying to find out which of those would handle a load of that nature better and possibly more reliably. I have considered a 3/4 ton and agree with so many good reasons to buy one but in the end this is a daily driver and I live on a rough road. The 2500 or 250 isn’t going to win over my wife on ride quality or fuel economy during normal driving. So basically I need a crew cab 4X4 that is a daily driver, nice enough for the family to take trips in, and be able to pull a TT under 8,000 pounds when needed.
Black Feather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, trailer