Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
My 2019 Sierra SLT came with four of them in the glove box. Had them installed at a tire shop later and they work great on the trailering app.
Mine too. Sadly, GM stopped doing that sometime in 2020. Now it's a $50 option. And if the truck doesn't come with them dealers typically charge $125 for a set of two.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:20 AM   #22

I have the system on my Ram 3500 2021. However; when I went to have the sensors installed on my 5Th. wheel rims they would not fit. The dealer said they were too short for my rim thickness. I have 16 inch aluminum rims. Ram said that was the only sensor they had. Does anyone else have this issue? Ram should have said something before I spent the money on the system on my truck.
mike grist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No, you need the GM sensors, and that's assuming you have the advanced trailering system and it's set up for trailer tire TPMS.
They are 433mhz sensors, I don't see why any 433 sensor wouldn't work. I did not get them with my truck so i found some on ebay for $25. Not the same part number but still a gm 433 sensor. Work great.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
They are 433mhz sensors, I don't see why any 433 sensor wouldn't work. I did not get them with my truck so i found some on ebay for $25. Not the same part number but still a gm 433 sensor. Work great.
If that were the case then GM would just throw in four truck sensors. But that's not how it works. Trailer tire sensors also provide temperature readings and operate at a higher pressure than the half tons tires do. And then there the algorithm needed to keep the two different systems from interfering with each other. The fact that both are 433mhz is immaterial. It's similar to the privacy codes that FRS radios have. Same frequency but the truck's system can only read the truck's sensor codes and the trailer sensor reader located behind the rear license plate can only read the trailer tire's sensor codes. There are aftermarket sensors coming on line that can be used in the trailer tire, but I don't know enough about them yet.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #25

Quote:
If that were the case then GM would just throw in four truck sensors. But that's not how it works. Trailer tire sensors also provide temperature readings and operate at a higher pressure than the half tons tires do. And then there the algorithm needed to keep the two different systems from interfering with each other. The fact that both are 433mhz is immaterial. It's similar to the privacy codes that FRS radios have. Same frequency but the truck's system can only read the truck's sensor codes and the trailer sensor reader located behind the rear license plate can only read the trailer tire's sensor codes. There are aftermarket sensors coming on line that can be used in the trailer tire, but I don't know enough about them yet.

I assumed that was the point of using the sensor programming tool. Either way, you can get older sensors off eBay for cheap that will work with the new trucks.
sdelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That is a bargain at $150! I wonder if Ram offers it as an add-on?
Ram offers it as an add-on to new builds, but not after the fact.
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryHemi View Post
Ram offers it as an add-on to new builds, but not after the fact.
Rats! I was afraid that was the case. Thanks.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #28

Quote:
No, you need the GM sensors, and that's assuming you have the advanced trailering system and it's set up for trailer tire TPMS.
They don't have to be GM sensors, they just need to be programed to work with the truck. I just had my TT tires ( tandem axle) done and had 2 of the GM sensors, the tire shop had 2 sensors at $30 a piece that he programed to work. took him less than 5 min. to go around to each tire with the tool and get the truck to read them.
flat350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat350 View Post
They don't have to be GM sensors, they just need to be programed to work with the truck. I just had my TT tires ( tandem axle) done and had 2 of the GM sensors, the tire shop had 2 sensors at $30 a piece that he programed to work. took him less than 5 min. to go around to each tire with the tool and get the truck to read them.
Are you getting both pressure and temperature readings? I've never heard of $30 sensors working with the GM advanced trailering system.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Are you getting both pressure and temperature readings? I've never heard of $30 sensors working with the GM advanced trailering system.
I don't know what brand the two they used were but the truck recognized them fine. Yes I get temp. and pressure on the info center. He did have to do the procedure twice, the first time #4 tire wouldn't read ( it was one of the OEM sensors) second time all were read.

I have seen some posts on a Silverado forum where guys are getting Amazon sensors to work as long as they are 433...................
flat350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #31

I have them on my 2020 3500 and pull a dual axle 42' 5th wheel and love them. Yes get them.
kgkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike grist View Post
I have the system on my Ram 3500 2021. However; when I went to have the sensors installed on my 5Th. wheel rims they would not fit. The dealer said they were too short for my rim thickness. I have 16 inch aluminum rims. Ram said that was the only sensor they had. Does anyone else have this issue? Ram should have said something before I spent the money on the system on my truck.
I had the exact same issue. Wasn't sure about buying different sensors, so I swapped out the aluminum wheels for some more generic gray steel wheels. I'd rather have safety and peace of mind over looks. Once all was installed the system works great.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkerl View Post
I have them on my 2020 3500 and pull a dual axle 42' 5th wheel and love them. Yes get them.

@kgkerl

How did you get them to work? My truck came with them, but from everything I've gathered:

1. They don't fit the rims of large 5th wheels (0.625 valve hole)
2. Max distance is only 23ft
3. They only go up to max 100 PSI

Sounded to me like they are only good for bumper pull, just like the trailer see-through gimmick, so I ended up buying a separate TPMS, but if they worked for your 42 footer, maybe I should return it and install the factory ones?

Could you confirm?
AndyNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #34

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike grist View Post
I have a 2020 GMC and have the sensors with the truck. I had new tires installed and wanted the system installed at that time. I have 16 inch rims with 110lb tire pressure. the sensors would not install on my rims. So I am back to a separate system.

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:51 AM   #35

Seems less complicated than the Ford system, you have to run a harness on the trailer to use the Ford system, but it also includes the wiring for the cameras. The harness plugs into it's own socket by the 7 Pin, and has the receiver in the harness for the sensors.

I personally would never own another Gm, but I do admit, their camera system is one of the best out of the three. Nice to know their TMPS is simple to use too.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_Piper View Post
I have a 2020 GMC and have the sensors with the truck. I had new tires installed and wanted the system installed at that time. I have 16 inch rims with 110lb tire pressure. the sensors would not install on my rims. So I am back to a separate system.
Interesting,they worked on my rims. Must be the size/weight of your trailer. There are aftermarket sensors with longer stems that will work.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:40 PM   #37

I also had the issue with the GMC sensors not fitting my rims. I sent them off to a company that changed out the upper half of the sensors. I then had a tire shop install them and they work fine now.
B&W Companion 25k
DRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRock View Post
I also had the issue with the GMC sensors not fitting my rims. I sent them off to a company that changed out the upper half of the sensors. I then had a tire shop install them and they work fine now.
What is the name of the company and what was the cost. What tie pressure do you maintain in your tires?

TIA

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #39

It was not cheap, but it did work. The company is Nichols Manufacturing and welding.
https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...es/valve-stems

The cost was about $40 per stem.

I know some people have stated they found the parts to do it themselves. If I had it to do over again, I would try that first. You're out very little if it doesn't work.

Del
B&W Companion 25k
DRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire, trailer