Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchdust View Post
If you use your keyless to lock your vehicle as you walk away it transmits a signal. Thieves can grab that signal and use it to open the doors and turn on their ignition. It has also been reported that a signal can be grabbed from the FOB even if the vehicle is in your garage and it is used later when you go out and park somewhere. Valet parking has your FOB when you hand it over, think about that one, plus the perp can see your address from documents in your vehicle. Thieves have nothing but time on their hands, they are patient and observant. A screaming alarm is only productive if the owner is around, everyone else ignores it. Anything you set electronically or wirelessly can be hacked. All they need, and have, are scanners.
That certainly is one way, as indicated in this news story:

But actually you don't even need to use the key fob for them to duplicate it. Modern devices can electronically interrogate your fob, in some cases up to 300 feet away. The only protection against that is to buy a Faraday Cage of some sort in which to store your keys while at home. Or, as others have suggested, buy a kill switch or other mechanism like that.

Ray
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #82

Follow up: here are some other examples with more details:

Ray
Old 02-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #83

Came out of a motel room in Holbrook, AZ one morning in 1978 to discover my International Travall and 23’ tow behind were gone.
Went to the office to call the police and the guy behind the counter got this awful look on his face.
Turns out, the motel had the combined unit towed away as they did not recognize it as belonging to a guest!
The motel guy drove me to the tow lot and the tow guy said $50.00. I looked at the motel guy and said you pay! He did. I did a thorough walk around to make sure no damage. Then, I got in Travall and sitting on the dashboard, face up, was the motel room receipt.
I have never stayed at a Best Western since.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #84

True Story:
Years ago while on night patrol, I got radio traffic to be on the watch for a Ford pick up color, year, make, model, license plate number was given. It was just stolen at a very popular restaurant in the next county 40 miles to the south.
It was no more than a minute while I was headed southbound on our interstate when I saw in the north bound lanes a roll back with a truck on it matching the stolen vehicle description.
I jumped the median, hit the lights and siren and got him pulled over. Turns out the rollback driver got a call to pick up a broken down Ford at the restaurant, saw this one that matched his dispatch's order and loaded it to take back to his shop for repair.
I got in touch with a Deputy from the other County and we decided to unload the veh. at the County line.
When the rollback, myself got to the County line the other Deputy was there with the owner. The owner was absolutely livid to say the least. The young rollback driver was melting in his boots.
Turned out that the owner was a Police Detective from a large Metro area a hundred miles away. He was up for deer season, stopped at the restaurant for supper. The other Deputy and myself decided to let the owner "talk" to the rollback driver......the Detective was quite talented with his speech for the young driver.
It ended with the owner not wanting to file any charges against the driver as it was a mistake but he did get to have the tow company agree to have the Detective's Ford Dealership check the suspension on the truck and pay for any damages.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #85

My 2002 7.3 has 270,000 and is my baby. I hid one of those inexpensive Tiles in the truck. Not quite real time GPS but instead uses the power of the crowd to locate missing items. My motorhome has a true GPS unit. I know the minute it leaves storage.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:04 PM   #86

Now that I think about it, the Kenwood head unit has GPS tracker tied to my phone as well. Every time my wife takes it, I get an update on it's location.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #87

Insurance

I am an insurance agent. Not all companies will issue insurance on a salvage title. And if they actually issue it, because staff doesn't ask, a new claim may not be paid. Take the money and move on.
lfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:58 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aray View Post
That certainly is one way, as indicated in this news story:

But actually you don't even need to use the key fob for them to duplicate it. Modern devices can electronically interrogate your fob, in some cases up to 300 feet away. The only protection against that is to buy a Faraday Cage of some sort in which to store your keys while at home. Or, as others have suggested, buy a kill switch or other mechanism like that.

Ray

Hard to bypass that.
klutchdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutchdust View Post
If you use your keyless to lock your vehicle as you walk away it transmits a signal. Thieves can grab that signal and use it to open the doors and turn on their ignition. It has also been reported that a signal can be grabbed from the FOB even if the vehicle is in your garage and it is used later when you go out and park somewhere. Valet parking has your FOB when you hand it over, think about that one, plus the perp can see your address from documents in your vehicle. Thieves have nothing but time on their hands, they are patient and observant. A screaming alarm is only productive if the owner is around, everyone else ignores it. Anything you set electronically or wirelessly can be hacked. All they need, and have, are scanners.
One may consider it convenient for the key FOB to actuate the locks from a 100 yards. But a thief can access the FOB with this range even if you have it in a dresser drawer. Our pickup has a very long range. the Jeeps is only good to 10-15 yards. This is an interesting article:

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/featu...to-prevent-it/
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote