Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Gone in 60 seconds? {Truck theft}

Well it finally happened to me, someone stole my 1999 F250 powerstroke! It was on the 22 of January late night, next morning better half looks out the window at 6:10am and said " Mike, your truck is gone!" I open the door and sure enough it was gone! Couldn't believe it.
On Friday of last week Denver police recovered it. There's a considerable amount of damage. Even stole the 2 batteries! Looks like the a--hole that stole it lived in it there is so much trash.
Currently insurance company wants to total it. Will see where that goes today.
I had a lot of e!electronic equipment, very expensive fly rods with a ton of flys and equipment, etc. They took it all! Really hurts to loose those fly rods!
I feel like I have been violated. Should I keep the truck?
Cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how much this must suck.

If your insurance wants to total it, you probably won't get enough to have it repaired. Even if you pay the additional repair costs out of pocket, the title will be branded as a salvage vehicle which will pretty much kill any value you can hope to get by eventually selling it or trading it in. I'd look for another truck

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #3

How did the thief move the truck? Did they tow it away?
Old 02-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #4

It’s sad, your probably going to feel robbed a second time as insurance probably won’t pay anywhere near real value to you.

Second how much damage is unseen, maybe none, but I’m sure they didn’t treat it the way you did. I gave my brother my wife’s old car because mom asked. Probably would have lasted me another 50k plus lasted him 2 days ( racing) of course perhaps not.

What will it cost to get back to way you want it vs cost of “upgrade” to newer model vs sentiment.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm considering taking the money and getting it repaired, that way its not titled as salvage.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I don't know, it was very cold that night and anyone that has had one of these motors know how they don't like to start in cold without plugging it in. Must have had alot of cranking!
Old 02-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
It’s sad, your probably going to feel robbed a second time as insurance probably won’t pay anywhere near real value to you.

Second how much damage is unseen, maybe none, but I’m sure they didn’t treat it the way you did. I gave my brother my wife’s old car because mom asked. Probably would have lasted me another 50k plus lasted him 2 days ( racing) of course perhaps not.

What will it cost to get back to way you want it vs cost of “upgrade” to newer model vs sentiment.
For sure robbed by insurance. They have already gone at least 7k less than replacement. That's why I'm considering repairing it then sometime this summer sell it and get a newer truck
Old 02-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #8

Sorry for you loss...I had my 2006 Chevy 2500 stolen from my local Sam's Club parking lot in Southern Ca back in 2015 wasn't even in Sam's 20 minutes and came out to the parking lot and the truck was gone it was in mint shape and only had 70K on it in the nine years I owned it not to mention all the mods I did to it No signs of broken glass...Cops comments were this happens all the time and showed no remorse when I filed the police report

To make matters worse I had about $1500.00 in stuff in the truck that my insurance company wouldn't cover and said I would have to put in a claim with my homeowners policy it would have been a wash since my deductible was $1500.00 the truck was never recovered so I was forced to go out and get a new truck.

My advise to you is don't settle on the first offer the insurance company wants to pay you on the value of the truck when it was all said and done State Farm after me working with them to get more on the pay out stepped up and gave me what I considered a fair price for my truck about 5k more then there original offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0626001132.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	247958  
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Something that old has no technology to immobilize the engine. Punch out the ignition switch and it's yours. Gone in 60 seconds is literally how fast it happens.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraman View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm considering taking the money and getting it repaired, that way its not titled as salvage.
Your ability to do that might depend on where you live. I know in my state they don't allow you to title a vehicle after it's been considered totaled.

Unless it's hail damage.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Sorry for you loss...I had my 2006 Chevy 2500 stolen from my local Sam's Club parking lot in Southern Ca back in 2015 wasn't even in Sam's 20 minutes and came out to the parking lot and the truck was gone it was in mint shape and only had 70K on it in the nine years I owned it not to mention all the mods I did to it No signs of broken glass...Cops comments were this happens all the time and showed no remorse when I filed the police report

To make matters worse I had about $1500.00 in stuff in the truck that my insurance company wouldn't cover and said I would have to put in a claim with my homeowners policy it would have been a wash since my deductible was $1500.00 the truck was never recovered so I was forced to go out and get a new truck.

My advise to you is don't settle on the first offer the insurance company wants to pay you on the value of the truck when it was all said and done State Farm after me working with them to get more on the pay out stepped up and gave me what I considered a fair price for my truck about 5k more then there original offer.

What a sickening feeling it is when it occurs that the vehicle is gone. I filled a claim with homeowners insurance. The fly rods are irreplaceable. Total for the stuff inside was well over 6k. I know the insurance won't value my fly rods to be worth their real value.
Disgusting that your truck was stolen too. Probably in Mexico now.
I'll have to talk to the insurance company about their perceived value
Old 02-18-2021, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
What a sickening feeling it is when it occurs that the vehicle is gone. I filled a claim with homeowners insurance. The fly rods are irreplaceable. Total for the stuff inside was well over 6k. I know the insurance won't value my fly rods to be worth their real value.
Disgusting that your truck was stolen too. Probably in Mexico now.
I'll have to talk to the insurance company about their perceived value
Yeah it sure is a sickening feeling...And I was in denial thinking maybe I didn't park it where I thought I did or it would just magically appear somewhere in the parking lot of course that never happened and I had to wait 21 days do see if it would be recovered before the insurance company considered it gone to settle the claim....To this day when I go somewhere and walk back out to the parking lot I look for my current truck like it's not going to be there
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #13

My brother had his ford f350 stolen from the hospital parking lot the night our Mom died. Not a good day.
In it was all his farm tools, about $25k worth.
They never recovered the truck as we are 40 miles from the Mexico border. He had pictures and records of all his tools and toolboxes which the insurance requested when he insured them.
He actually came out pretty well with the insurance for his tools and got a fair price for his year of truck. Was able to replace all his tools and got a newer truck for what you would expect to pay to upgrade to a newer vehicle.
So you don't always get screwed by the insurance. But it did take some time and a lot of back and forth.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My brother had his ford f350 stolen from the hospital parking lot the night our Mom died. Not good day.
In it was all his farm tools, about $25k worth.
They never recovered the truck as we are 40 miles from the Mexico border. He had pictures and records of all his tools and toolboxes which the insurance requested when he insured them.
He actually came out pretty well with the insurance for his tools and got a fair price for his year of truck. Was able to replace all his tools and got a newer truck for what you would expect to pay to upgrade to a newer vehicle.
So you don't always get screwed by the insurance. But it did take some time and a lot of back and forth.
That's a sad story you have, for sure that truck is in Mexico. Good deal he got his value for everything. I had pictures etc of my fly rods I gave the insurance, haven't heard a word yet from then on that claim. I will be talking to the adjuster for sure here in a few minutes. I have to get more than what they first offered, I think they are about 7k low for my truck.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Your ability to do that might depend on where you live. I know in my state they don't allow you to title a vehicle after it's been considered totaled.

Unless it's hail damage.
I have looked up the law here in Colorado and it is clear that it's considered a total loss once the insurance declares it. So even if I take money and keep the truck and repair it myself it will have to be retitled as salvage!
Old 02-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Something that old has no technology to immobilize the engine. Punch out the ignition switch and it's yours. Gone in 60 seconds is literally how fast it happens.
I was shocked to find on youtube videos of people showing you how to steal a truck like mine. They have the average time down to 1:30 seconds to be driving away.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #17

If it is a 1999 with a 7.3 Powerstroke and if the damage is not bad..... bent frame etc. A salvage title here in Virginia will not kill the value by much. 7.3s are so scarce.

It just depends on how much damage, how much to repair and how long you would want to keep it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
If it is a 1999 with a 7.3 Powerstroke and if the damage is not bad..... bent frame etc. A salvage title here in Virginia will not kill the value by much. 7.3s are so scarce.

It just depends on how much damage, how much to repair and how long you would want to keep it.

It's a late '99 model Powerstroke! Those have a considerable amount of value here in Colorado as well. The collision center was going to give me a work up on what the repairs would cost me out of pocket yesterday, nothing yet from them. I don't think the frame is damaged, somehow they (thieves) mashed in the Dr. side bed where the fuel filler door is, can't open it to refuel so that's probably why it was left on the street. The innerwall to the bed isn't damaged. The insurance co. is using info to determine value from 2 trucks with the 6.8L Gas motors with mileage over 244K, my truck only has 142K! What's wrong with that picture?
Old 02-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
It's a late '99 model Powerstroke! Those have a considerable amount of value here in Colorado as well. The collision center was going to give me a work up on what the repairs would cost me out of pocket yesterday, nothing yet from them. I don't think the frame is damaged, somehow they (thieves) mashed in the Dr. side bed where the fuel filler door is, can't open it to refuel so that's probably why it was left on the street. The innerwall to the bed isn't damaged. The insurance co. is using info to determine value from 2 trucks with the 6.8L Gas motors with mileage over 244K, my truck only has 142K! What's wrong with that picture?
A whole lot is wrong with that picture.

Someone I know a year ago sold his 02 or 03 duelly 7.3 went by high book at 9K a dealer bought it in 10 minutes of the ad going online and put it on his lot at 18K. It stayed there less than 2 days and was gone. Do not know what it sold for but............ the person I know did ask my opinion

Good Luck !!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
A whole lot is wrong with that picture.

Someone I know a year ago sold his 02 or 03 duelly 7.3 went by high book at 9K a dealer bought it in 10 minutes of the ad going online and put it on his lot at 18K. It stayed there less than 2 days and was gone. Do not know what it sold for but............ the person I know did ask my opinion

Good Luck !!!!!
Wow, that's wild. I bought this truck in Vernal Utah fall of 2019. Paid $5,900.00 cash at the Ford dealer there. When I got back home a friend that owns a used car dealership told me he would give me $17,000.00 for it unseen. It had 132K on the odometer then only 142K now. I should have taken him up on the deal!