Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #1

Goose Neck 5th Wheel

Does anyone pull their Fiver with a Goose Neck adapter? If you do, can you tell me why and any good or bad experiences?

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Always Learning

I don't. I use a B&W gooseneck but with their companion fifth wheel head. Empty truck bed when removed, comes out in 2 pieces and easy hookup (ie, no climbing into the truck bed to hookup chains).
Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #3

I use the Anderson ultimate goose neck adapter. I have never used a traditional fifth wheel hitch and have nothing to really compare it too.
Things I like about it:
No bucking motion when pulling out or stopping.
No clanging noises.
No pull test required.
No possibility to drop on bed of truck unless landing legs give out.
Push landing leg button to raise or lower onto and off of ball.

Dislikes:
The adapter on the fifth wheel must be removed when in for service to allow to be towed the traditional way by service department. ( This could be a plus, The last time in for service they had me pull it in the shop and did service while I waited).

Many will tell you it puts extra stress on the fifth wheel and will void your warranty. (I have an e-mail from Libbert stating any adapter will void warranty).
I have my doubts about the extra stress (at least using the Anderson Ultimate Adapter) some additional stress MAYBE.
In order for the manufacturer to void the warranty they must prove the damage was caused by the installation of the adapter.
If this occurred Anderson will warranty the damage to the fifth wheel. (I have this in writing) however ( it has never been tried in court)

Would I do it again: most likely not. I would go with the traditional hitch, I think, mostly because the traditional hitch is a proven setup.

I have been pulling a Flagstaff Ultra light 31.5' for two years now and have not had any indication of trailer or RV damage. I do measure for possible trailer damage and look for cracking on the trailer. So far it has been good.

The ultimate is not like other traditional goose neck adapters.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:25 AM   #4

Ependydad,
Is your ball a B&W ball with ball mount? I wanted to get the B&W companion but was told that it can only be used with the B&W companion ball mount.
I have the ball but it is not a Companion and my mount is welded to the frame.

Also, are you the Ependydad on another forum YJB?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #5

Another choice is to replace the pinbox on your RV with a Reese Goosebox. This is endorsed by Lippert and does not void the Lippert frame warranty. They have an air bag and two shocks. Super smooth ride! No safety chains required. Lots of benefits over a 5th wheel. Only drawback is you have to be right on the money left/right AND for/aft for lining up your truck with hitch.

Good basic video from Etrailer

SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #6

Hmmm… Lots of things to think about. I like the Reese but don't like the price. I'll keep studying.

You may wonder after seeing in my details that we have a Ram 1500 and a Windjammer, why ask about a Goose Neck.

Well…

Monday if all goes well, I pick up our new Ram 3500 and………….

To be continued...

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Ependydad,

Is your ball a B&W ball with ball mount? I wanted to get the B&W companion but was told that it can only be used with the B&W companion ball mount.

I have the ball but it is not a Companion and my mount is welded to the frame.

Also, are you the Ependydad on another forum YJB?

Yeah, mine is the B&W system above and below. My guess is that the B&W Companion requiring the B&W gooseneck hole is because the hole is square.

I'd be surprised if there is another "ependydad" out there, but I don't know the forum you're referring to. Shoot me a PM here.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

FWIW, My understanding is Lippert has accepted the Anderson as acceptable and will not void the king pin, pin box, or frame warranties. That was according to a dealer I was working with a couple of months ago. I decided that rails don't bother me that much, and I needed a slider, so I went traditional rails with a Superglide.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

I'm also considering purchasing a new 5-er, but I already have a gooseneck ball in my truck bed, so I think I'd like to convert the 5-er pin to a gooseneck ball receiver/adapter. It looks like the Reese setup is pretty sweet, but I like to look at all the angles before I jump into something--so, someone talk me out of it!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #10

Ok, I just watched an installation video on the Anderson adapter. I was right with them, right up to the point where they secure the stinger to the adapter. You mean to tell me that the only thing holding the stinger to the adapter is two set screws inserted from the side? What's to stop that entire assembly from separating if you hit a bad pothole or bump? You're telling me those two set screws are going to hold everything in place? I understand the camper's pin weight is pushing down on the entire assembly, which makes it sound unlikely that the whole assembly could separate and go up. But I'm sure stranger things have happened. Thoughts?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Yeah, I'd be scared to pull any 5er with a settup like those. The only one I would consider would be that pinbox replacement one that lippert allows.
But I'll just stick with my 5th wheel b&w companion. I've already got it, and most of my trucks ive owned or will own will have the lower b&w in them anyway.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
Always Learning

X2, MillerTime- with the B&W, IMO, the Companion is an easy choice.

Being lazy, with a gooseneck, I wouldn't like having to climb up and secure the chains.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

My worthless 2 cents. I'll put a fifth wheel plate / king pin on a gooseneck trailer before I put a gooseneck adapter on a fifth wheel. I know you can get some high dollar fancy goose neck adapters, some with air ride, but you can't get a Tri-Glide, which is what we prefer. Then again, they might make something like that by now. I no longer own a gooseneck trailer as of last year, but I always hated the ride and hook up. The ridged gooseneck is a chucking machine, especially with a big load like one of our tractors. Only advantage to the gooseneck ball is there is no jaw to triple check if it's locked. We just always like the fifth wheel as we can see it in the rear view mirror and it's just too easy to hook up.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #14

I use the goose neck adapter on my fifth wheel because the truck had a goose neck hitch in it when I bought the camper. I used the B&W ball but have since bought a Cody Cushion Air hitch ($425) to pull with the gooseneck adapter. it is a much smoother ride and helps to absorb the shock and stresses put on the camper and interior things. Plus having the empty truck bed when not pulling is nice.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #15

This is my first fiver and I've only got a couple of hundred miles thus far but I'm extremely impressed with my Andersen Ultimate setup. Solid as a rock, smooth towing, easy hookup and easy to remove then store in my basement.

Time will tell, but so far, so good!
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 AM   #16
Always Learning

Mostly because I've never actually pulled a gooseneck trailer and have only watched YouTube videos - I'm right when I think that you have to climb into the truck bed to secure the safety chains, correct?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:50 AM   #17

I have a B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch and a Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch (all made in the U.S.A.), I have a Reese Revolution on my 2014 Rockwood 8289. I installed mine so the coupler is centered with the rear end; I did not install the coupler forward toward to the cab. The SuperSprings and Timbrens are to eliminate squat and the "chucking". My truck and RV are level and ride like a dream! The maneuvering with turning and parking is easy and more than enough room between the cab and front the 5th wheel. Overall I am very satisfied with the performance of all products. I agree with the performance issues stated by racerx on post #3 of this thread. I would buy this product again and would recommend this product.
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #18
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Mostly because I've never actually pulled a gooseneck trailer and have only watched YouTube videos - I'm right when I think that you have to climb into the truck bed to secure the safety chains, correct?
I dont know on these adapters. But I believe DOT mandates them on everything except positive locking 5th wheel hitches, like ours and semis have.
My gooseneck equipment trailer has chains and I just step on my nerfbars ( mine extend from ft wheel to rear wheel) and lean over, or just hop in the bed.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #19

No chains required on that Reese Goosebox I posted. It has a positive locking mechanism. You have to pull the t-handle release cable to unlatch it.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammySabre View Post
Another choice is to replace the pinbox on your RV with a Reese Goosebox. This is endorsed by Lippert and does not void the Lippert frame warranty. They have an air bag and two shocks. Super smooth ride! No safety chains required. Lots of benefits over a 5th wheel. Only drawback is you have to be right on the money left/right AND for/aft for lining up your truck with hitch.

Good basic video from Etrailer

You need to check into all state laws you will enter into, many states require safety chains with a gooseneck, I have this same box on mine and did the research, lippert endorsed, safety chains required in many states as it is no longer a fifth wheel.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel