Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

Gooseneck-5th Wheel

We just bought a 2021 Artic Wolf 3550 Suite and we have a 2010 F350 Super Duty truck with the B&W gooseneck already installed in the bed. We are trying to decide how to use this with our new trailer. I've found so many choices and big $$$ to boot!! Has anyone here ever used the Demco DM85550045 Gooseneck-to-5th Wheel adapter hitch? It looks perfect for what we want but we are newbies to a 5th Wheel and want to be sure we are doing the right thing. I appreciate any insight and opinions!!
deew424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #2

Wow not one reply.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:00 PM   #3

No personal experience, but from what I've read on many different RV forums, most of the answers would probably advise against using a goose-to-5er adapter. There's a potential for trailer frame damage.

Again, from what I've read, you might be better off looking into things like a Reese Goosebox, Pullrite 2600 single-point, or Andersen Ultimate hitch.
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:23 AM   #4

Lots of opinions on this, for good reason. One view is that an adapter of this type could put unusual stresses on the frame.

So before proceeding, you might want to get a written statement from the manufacturer as to the suitability of using this particular equipment.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

I own the Anderson ultimate. Short wheelbase Ram diesel. No truck clearance issues. Minimum chucking. Easier to hook up than the Demco. Safety chains.

The hitch adapters supposedly damaging the fiver frame are the ones that look like a 2’ length of pipe. The Demco looks fine. Not sure of pin location. Could be an issue.

The Demco was not available when I was looking.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #6

Topic with a lot of opinions. Many years ago when I pulled a gooseneck horse trailer with a living quarters, I would have argued until I was blue in the face that a gooseneck adaptor on a fifth wheel was just fine.

Then one of the mechanical engineers that I worked with modeled in one of the adaptors that I was looking at for my fifth wheel using some software that he had. I already had a very heavy duty gooseneck ball in my truck bed and was determined to use it.

The adaptor works as a lever on the attachment point on the pin box and was putting extreme flex on that point. After simulating different forces on the model, it completely changed my mind. I ended up with a mount system where I could fairly quickly remove my Curt Q20 and put a gooseneck ball on a plate in its place.

The goosebox adaptors are a whole other story, as I understand. They may be safe, I don't know.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #7

I love these gooseneck adapter threads.
So much BS by folks who don't use them! In my area (mainly farm/ranch), MOST folks use the adapters on their fifth wheel RVs. They do this as all their other trailers are gooseneck and they don't want to have keep changing hitches.
The adapters are used in everything from ultralight fivers to monster toy haulers. Go to any rodeo to verify.
I've never heard of any real life problems caused by these adapters. It's like the folks who say my Sidewinder hitch is bad for stress and a myriad of other problems. It's because they never used one, it is different from what they use, and they don't understand it.
Good grief.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #8

Well I tried an adapter for one trip and unbolted it as soon as I got home and reinstalled my regular hitch.

The way the longer lever arm was visibly moving the pin box in a dramatically unsettling way when stopping and starting, I wasn't going to risk fatiguing it right off the frame.

For some trailers it's probably okay. But I'm pretty sure not all are designed for those different stresses.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #9

Anyone using a Goosebox on Flagstaff 529 MBS?
Aerostaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
Site Team

FYI for anyone in the future looking at this thread.

The Demco DM8550045 Gooseneck-to-5th Wheel adapter mentioned in the OP is actually more of a fifth wheel hitch that attaches to a gooseneck ball than a gooseneck adapter like the Ranchhand adapter. So the forces everyone associates with the gooseneck adapters don't apply here.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerostaff View Post
Anyone using a Goosebox on Flagstaff 529 MBS?
I can't see why it wouldn't work just fine on that RV.
You can contact Reese and they can tell you if it'll fit.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:20 AM   #12

Using an Anderson Ultimate hitch. Light and easy to setup, leaves truck bed with some useable space. I didn't want to add more weight as payload is already limited on 2500 short bed diesel Ram
Old 08-26-2020, 06:03 AM   #13

Regardless of what you do make sure that it does not void the trailer frame warranty.

Many use the adapters with no issues but I have heard of a few.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #14

Purchase

thank you everyone. We definitely didn't want to use the Gooseneck adapter that is long because we found out it does void our frame warranty. We opted for the B&W Companion Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Hitch adapter (BWRVK3500) that is a fifth wheel hitch which is connected to the truck's gooseneck receiver. That way we can take it out when we don't want it. Lot's of research and this won't void our warranty!

Old 12-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I love these gooseneck adapter threads.
So much BS by folks who don't use them! In my area (mainly farm/ranch), MOST folks use the adapters on their fifth wheel RVs. They do this as all their other trailers are gooseneck and they don't want to have keep changing hitches.
The adapters are used in everything from ultralight fivers to monster toy haulers. Go to any rodeo to verify.
I've never heard of any real life problems caused by these adapters. It's like the folks who say my Sidewinder hitch is bad for stress and a myriad of other problems. It's because they never used one, it is different from what they use, and they don't understand it.
Good grief.

trolling around and found this older thread and had to add to it. I just got a 2021 Denali 2500 Duramax, fantastic truck but it's 3" taller bed sides from my 2013 so challenged on hitches. Found the Reese Goosebox; approved by Lipert. I think I need to lift my trailer 4" as I'm already about 4" nose high and axles are over springs. Calling around to hitch guys and trying to let them do everything, including installing the Goosebox. Guy at one place said he absolutely would NOT install the Goosebox, would have anything to do with a gooseneck for an RV. When I told him what it was he remained steadfast and I don't think he has seen this product (it is fairly new). He insisted that goosenecks were not safe, said he's seen "30,000+ goosneck balls snap off, sending trailer into ditch," etc. About an hour later driving down freeway and see gooseneck utility trailer with 20' sea container on it, that weighs a LOT more than my 30' fiver.

And this is an "expert". If he was correct then there's a ton of potential accidents waiting to happen
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:44 PM   #16

We use the Reese Goosebox.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel