Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

Gooseneck hitch?

First of all, thanks in advance for any opinions and experiences......My family just went in and purchased a 2007 F.R. Wildcat m-32qbbs. My sister has a F-250 Long bed diesel and I'm in seriously in the market for a GMC 2500 standard bed diesel to pull both a fully loaded 3 horse gooseneck and this 5th wheel.

Since I haven't purchased a new truck yet, I'm trying to get my "ducks in a row" before I make a huge mistake.

I understand buying a slider rv hitch makes turning with a standard bed possible. But since we are horse haulers (only personal hauling) and our friends are as well, is attaching a gooseneck adapter a safe thing to do so any of us can take the trailer as needed? Is it even possible to pull this trailer with a gooseneck adapter and a standard bed?

Again, thanks for any help. Can't wait for the new adventures to start!

Ellen
frogblossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #2

1st, Welcome to the forum
2nd, your issues with a goose neck and a RV fifth wheel are similar, yet very different, the main problem with the shorter bed and your RV5r is the width of the trailer when turning tight and 90 degree when parking, thus the need for the slider, with you gooseneck trailer, the problem is similar, but in most cases the horse trailer is much narrower, therefore the issue may not be as significant.

What to look for, measure the width of the gooseneck, divide by 2 and that should be your minimum distance required from the back of your cab to the pin on the gooseneck, that will give you a good idea of your requirements
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Knower of Some Things

If you do run in to cab clearance issues, Anderson Manufacturing makes a "ranch hitch adapter" that will convert the 5th wheel to a gooseneck. They make an extended version to gain 8" between the cab & the corner of the 5th wheel.
Instead of installing a gooseneck hitch on your truck if you don't already have one, put in a set of 5th wheel rails. They make goose neck adapter plates for them, plus you can put in a standard 5th wheel hitch for simplicity.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote