Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2022, 09:54 PM   #21
KSH

Gen-y executive has torsion bars to dampen the ride and separate the truck from the trailer.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:52 PM   #22

Most folks I know tow their fifth wheels with the gooseneck adapters and always have. Light fifth wheels to heavy toy haulers. But most folks I know are farmers and ranchers who have many gooseneck trailers for stock, produce, and heavy flatbed hauling.
Having a gooseneck hitch on their RVs just makes their lives simpler.
But if you don't tow multiple gooseneck trailers, don't know why you would not use a fifth wheel hitch.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:41 AM   #23

I have only “ towed” one goose neck. I had a B&W turnover and moved from his backyard to his front yard. So basically around the block. So I don’t have any real experience except that at 5’9” with a belly that gives me the reach of 5’4”. Again I’m short and fat it was a smaller 5th wheel . That said I wasn’t able to make any of the connections. I normally step up on the top of my tire to connect my dually my current Ram puck system allows me reach easier but my reach over the dual rear tires make it a big reach. My coworker was taller and thinner he squeezed in there to make the connections looked like a pain.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:47 AM   #24
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I have used the Andersen for over 5 years but lately I have been considering switching to the 20k Reese Goosebox due to some issues with my fiberglass. Not saying it's the hitch but thinking the airbags in it might be nice. Plus even easier to have full use of the truck bed since the hitch stays with the camper.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:52 AM   #25

For me I can take my fifth wheel hitch out or put in less than 5 minutes and have full use of long bed and never have to manhandle the hitch.

But I do have a compact tractor with forks that I use.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:27 AM   #26

Here is a picture of my MacGyver solution to lining up the hitch and ball on the Anderson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9386.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	273470  
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
I have not pulled a gooseneck, but do use the Anderson Ultimate hitch for my 5th wheel.
I too can get it lined up just about perfect, every time, by myself. Got an old CB antenna, mounted it to a Harbor Freight magnet with a hole in the center. I place my antenna at the correct spot to get the ball directly under the Anderson receiver. When backing up, use rearview, and center the antenna to the center of the back window, then back up to the center of the trailer hitch, when the antenna begins to get pushed forward, you stop.
98% of the time, dead on and lower the trailer onto the ball. Pretty easy process. And I love the lightweight hitch when I want to use the full bed for other things.
X2. Works great !!

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #28

Lightbulb You Don't See Many Factory Gooseneck RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem98 View Post

I have a designated tow rig and it won't ever really be detached except to have truck serviced. Cost and space in the bed are not issues. I just want a smooth safe ride. Which would you recommend?
A lot of good reasons posted why some like goosenecks, but if they don't compel you, the 5th Wheel will give you the "smooth safe ride" you want. There are reasons you don't see many factory-gooseneck RVs. I see about 100 5th Wheel RVs to every gooseneck RV--maybe more.

If you wonder about claims that one is "more maneuverable" than other:

Maneuverability depends upon pivot point and axle locations, not connection method. You can research the exact position a gooseneck or 5th-Wheel pivot would land on your truck. Moving the pivot point aft makes the rig more like a TT hitch. Moving it forward (to a point) magnifies the characteristics of 5th Wheel geometry.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:19 PM   #29

I use the GenY Executive over the Reese Goosebox because I didn't want the maintenance of the airbag and shock absorbers. I wanted the gooseneck connection for a usable bed without removing the hitch. I have used a Pullrite Superlite but that doesn't work well with the Rotoflex pin box I had. I love the GenY and you gotta get in the bed anyway for the break away switch and power connection so safety chains are no big deal.

No company can void your warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts unless they can prove the part caused the failure. That has not happened to GenY and it is the same type of connection as the Reese Goosebox. Lippert approves the use of the Reese because they own the company.

Some have mentioned a goose neck adapter and they are known to cause failures in the pin box and frame due to added leverage and not enough support in the pin box.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #30

I used to have a AirRide pinbox which is supposed to lead to smoother towing along with B&W Champion Manual Slider. When I changed trucks, I purchased a Reese Goosebox with OEM puck system. Manual slider was OK, unless you forgot and released the slide lever on a hill of any sort or simply forget to slide it back for tight turns, so I was looked at autoslider ... but the two most popular are even heavier than the B&W Slider I had. Getting older, didn't want to wrestle that sort of weight anymore. I've been very happy with Reese Goosebox. I really enjoyed it when I was visiting a friend and we wanted to use my truck to do some work. It was a whole lot easier to remove the gooseneck ball from the bed than a 5th wheel hitch. It is not as easy as traditional 5th wheel hitch to hook up ... but with cargo camera and spotter on the side I can hook up just as quickly.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #31
Yukon_Bill

I, like another post said, I just changed out my Pullrite slider for a Gen-Y GooseNeck. Personally do not see a real significant difference except there doesn’t see much “bucking” effects when going over dips in road. Granted, I only pulled about 800 miles but after towing with Fixed, slider, and now the goose I find turning and hooking up so far is best with the goose/ball. I can back out my tight driveway nearly 90 deg without issue or the better half guiding me. I would never put a fixed in a 6’ box ever again. Slider was great except my 8’ box was rendered useless with the base, mount, and hitch taking almost all usable space. I have a tonnage cover and tool box which doesn’t need any modification to hook and go with the Goose. So simple to install ball and chain adapters. I can hook and go in about 15 minutes, but safety slows me down. Everyone has pros and cons. Having experienced 3 types so far more satisfied with the Gen-Y. Enjoy your Rving.
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:44 PM   #32

I know a lot of people like the Anderson Ultimate because they're lighter but if you Google 5th wheel hitch failures, the Anderson comes up almost exclusively.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:58 PM   #33

I've pulled a 5th wheel with both hitch systems within a half hour. I can say with absolutely no doubt that the 5th wheel is head and shoulders better in regards to what the truckers call "back slap". The gooseneck adapter is quite annoying due to the back slap. We took the gooseneck adapter off and put the 5th wheel in the same tow vehicle and all that back and forth went away. I have a gooseneck flatbed trailer and I'd love to be able to go from the camper to the flat bed without changing the hitching systems but after pulling the 5ver both ways I wouldn't pull it as a gooseneck 2 miles unless I had to.

I was told by a Jayco dealer that a gooseneck adapter will void the warranty of a Jayco 5th wheel and he was adamantly sure of himself when he explained it to us. I have no idea how many other brands that the gooseneck system will void the warranty but this guy, who owned the dealership, was 100% sure of himself in saying so.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:16 PM   #34

Only pulled a gooseneck once and not impressed but only 1 time for 460 miles. I’ll stick to my B&W until the semis start with a gooseneck.
Make sure if you have a breakdown and need the 5er moved you let the tow company know- ask my neighbor why!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
I've pulled a 5th wheel with both hitch systems within a half hour. I can say with absolutely no doubt that the 5th wheel is head and shoulders better in regards to what the truckers call "back slap". The gooseneck adapter is quite annoying due to the back slap. We took the gooseneck adapter off and put the 5th wheel in the same tow vehicle and all that back and forth went away. I have a gooseneck flatbed trailer and I'd love to be able to go from the camper to the flat bed without changing the hitching systems but after pulling the 5ver both ways I wouldn't pull it as a gooseneck 2 miles unless I had to.

I was told by a Jayco dealer that a gooseneck adapter will void the warranty of a Jayco 5th wheel and he was adamantly sure of himself when he explained it to us. I have no idea how many other brands that the gooseneck system will void the warranty but this guy, who owned the dealership, was 100% sure of himself in saying so.
Goose neck adapters bolted to a fifth wheel pin box is not the same as a gooseneck conversion like the GenY and Reeseebox.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #36

Gooseneck VS 5th wheel

I pulled my 18k toyhauler home from the dealer, about 650 miles, with the Curt 25k 5th wheel. I changed the pinbox to the goosebox because I have several other trailers, all with gooseneck hitch. The gooseneck setup virtually eliminated the for and aft chucking typical of the 5th wheel hitch, pulls well and I am happy with it. It also leaves the bed of your truck for use when your not pulling the 5er. The goosebox also has an airbag and shocks, so damping is very good. Just a side note, dampening is what your dog does to your tires when he relieves himself, and damping is what your shocks do to help eliminate bumps ect.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
I use the GenY Executive over the Reese Goosebox because I didn't want the maintenance of the airbag and shock absorbers. I wanted the gooseneck connection for a usable bed without removing the hitch. I have used a Pullrite Superlite but that doesn't work well with the Rotoflex pin box I had. I love the GenY and you gotta get in the bed anyway for the break away switch and power connection so safety chains are no big deal.

No company can void your warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts unless they can prove the part caused the failure. That has not happened to GenY and it is the same type of connection as the Reese Goosebox. Lippert approves the use of the Reese because they own the company.

Some have mentioned a goose neck adapter and they are known to cause failures in the pin box and frame due to added leverage and not enough support in the pin box.

I have never had to get in the truck to hook up breakaway or 7pin
Old 05-23-2022, 11:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
Goose neck adapters bolted to a fifth wheel pin box is not the same as a gooseneck conversion like the GenY and Reeseebox.
I believe the two systems you mentioned void the Jayco warranty. Also, the two systems you mentioned produce the aforementioned back slap and are a fancier way of conversion. Doesn't really matter what the name of the system is, they all produce the same result.

Jayco is very sensitive regarding aftermarket add-on hitches of any type or brand in reference to 5th wheels.

The convenience of a gooseneck ball doesn't come close to making up for the discomfort of towing
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I have never had to get in the truck to hook up breakaway or 7pin
If you have to get in the bed to attend to these items, somebody ain't doing something right.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
If you have to get in the bed to attend to these items, somebody ain't doing something right.
Or they are height challenged?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel