Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2022, 12:07 AM   #1

Gooseneck vs 5th wheel

Idk if this has been beaten like a dead horse, if so please lead me in the right direction.
I'm looking at getting a 20k trailer and have the option of a gooseneck hitch or 5th wheel. I have a designated tow rig and it won't ever really be detached except to have truck serviced. Cost and space in the bed are not issues. I just want a smooth safe ride. Which would you recommend?
Mayhem98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:04 AM   #2

Had a friend who swore by a gooseneck, but he also towed a cattle trailer, so that's what he was used to. Claimed it was more maneuverable. Haven't towed either gooseneck or 5th wheel myself. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Wanted to welcome you to the forum.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:26 AM   #3

I went from a Class A to a 5th wheel. My truck because of the side tool boxes could only have a Anderson style Hitch to tow my 5er. Truck was pre installed puck system. Not a bad set up. Tongue wt is 1265. Truck rated for 2900. All in all it tows pretty good. Still get that tug/pull sensation but seems only like when i hit a bump in road, Suppose to be normal to experience that.
Never towed with gooseneck so not sure if any difference.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:13 AM   #4

Personal preference I guess or what you are used to. Personally I prefer a fifth wheel hitch.

Just me but I think that the gooseneck puts more stress on the front frame structure of a camper.

Best to check warranties, but Lippert makes a gooseneck attachment.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:17 AM   #5

Just a reminder a 5th wheel doesn't need safety chains, but a gooseneck does.
SheltonsDX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:26 AM   #6
Retired Army MSG!

My first 5vr I went with a gooseneck adapter because like stated above we had also pulled a gooseneck horse trailer. It worked out ok, however, there were times when we went over a bridge or any rough spots in the road it felt like it was going to stab the truck into the ground. When we traded to a little heavier 5vr I had a fifth wheel hitch installed and I will say the ride is much smoother.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:40 AM   #7

5th wheel hitch
Old 05-16-2022, 06:41 AM   #8

5th wheel hitches you can back into blind vs trying to line up a little ball.

I have a little ford logo centered on the back glass that I know I can line the king pin up with then keep backing up until the pin goes into the jaws. Do a quick pull test then hop out lift the landing gear, plug in the lights and im good to go.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:17 AM   #9
KSH

I have a ram 2500 with rambox. Had and Anderson 5th wheel triangle, worked fine. I didn't like the plastic cone. Switched to pull rite 1p did 20k miles no problems.
Just switched to gen-y executive gooseneck last week.
Pulls great, I feel like the reversing is a little different, but I haven't had enough time yet. Just did 600 miles yesterday on it.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #10

No question hitching a fifth wheel is easier for a lot of folks, particularly if you have a crew or extra cab truck and can't see what going on in the bed.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #11

We use the Reese Goosebox. Mainly because our truck is a daily driver and we had to use the tractor to take the fifth wheel hitch in and out but it pulls great. A nice smooth ride.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:49 AM   #12

Two Cents!

I don't pull either, I've got a bumper pull. But the guy who produces Big Truck Big RV on a YouTube channel by that name swears by his Goosebox hitch with his RV. Now he's quick to say the Goosebox is an authorized upgrade for some RV's with Lippert frames, but not all manufacturers will abide by authorizing the Goosebox hitch. When I go to a larger trailer I suspect I will look for one accommodating the Goosebox as I have other utility trailers I inherited that are goosenecks.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:07 AM   #13

A fifth wheel should be a smoother ride for you in the tow vehicle since most 5th wheel hitches have rubber cushions built into them.

A gooseneck will have a much lighter and smaller hitch taking up space in the bed of your truck.

A compromise would be the Anderson hitch. It is lightweight so it should be easy to remove from the truck if you need to use the full bed for cargo when not towing.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:49 AM   #14

I much prefer 5th wheel. I have BW companion non slider.
missdaisydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #15

Smile 5th Wheel is EASY Hook Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr524 View Post
5th wheel hitches you can back into blind vs trying to line up a little ball.

I have a little ford logo centered on the back glass that I know I can line the king pin up with then keep backing up until the pin goes into the jaws. Do a quick pull test then hop out lift the landing gear, plug in the lights and im good to go.
X2--A piece of tape on bed toolbox lid to line up with the kingpin through the center rear-view mirror. It's a quick & easy one-person operation; no rear camera needed.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:13 PM   #16

I have not pulled a gooseneck, but do use the Anderson Ultimate hitch for my 5th wheel.
I too can get it lined up just about perfect, every time, by myself. Got an old CB antenna, mounted it to a Harbor Freight magnet with a hole in the center. I place my antenna at the correct spot to get the ball directly under the Anderson receiver. When backing up, use rearview, and center the antenna to the center of the back window, then back up to the center of the trailer hitch, when the antenna begins to get pushed forward, you stop.
98% of the time, dead on and lower the trailer onto the ball. Pretty easy process. And I love the lightweight hitch when I want to use the full bed for other things.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:47 PM   #17

I struggled with that.

We choose the Anderson aluminum.

Super easier to hitch up. Easier to set up at the campsite.

With the plastic adapter you have plus or minus 1.5 inches in every direction. easy.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
We use the Reese Goosebox. Mainly because our truck is a daily driver and we had to use the tractor to take the fifth wheel hitch in and out but it pulls great. A nice smooth ride.

ditto for me, LOVE the goosebox.

To connect I have one of those hitch assisting ball dohickies I got at Harbor Freight. they're made to help hitch up a tag but work great for me. They look like a telescopic radio antenna with a magnetic base. I set it about 2" in front of the ball, then just line up the guide ball with the center of the goosbox, when the ball moves I'm over hitch.

I have a tonneau cover that folds up at the front of the bed so cannot see the hitch ball, nor can my in bed camera, this is my workaround.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #19

A gooseneck is designed so your everyday truck can be used with less hassle and it does tow better on lighter weight trucks. No heavy hitch and the connection is made down low close to the frame. I do a lot of welding and fabrication and gooseneck trailers are prone to stress cracks over time. I like a gooseneck because of the low cost hitching and my bed is usable. The better towing experience can be had with a 5th wheel set up in my opinion though. The high end hitches have bags and dampers that really do a great job isolating the roads imperfections from your tow rig. Just my 2 cents…
05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0
Wife W/3 rescue dogs & 12-16 chickens
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:55 PM   #20

Reese elite 5th wheel in Ford puck with Trail Air pin box. Don't like the way the gooseneck adapters look like they would put stress on the trailer.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel