Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

Got an issue?

I went by the storage place today to pull the battery (I forgot to unhook it when I dropped it off last month. Oops) and noticed this on the frame. Now I don't remember nose diving the trailer into anything. And it wasn't like this before. Ya think I've got an improper set up causing this? I think the rails from the leveling hitch are hitting this cross member. Now that I've used this thing some I need to fine tune some settings...starting here with the hitch. I raised the ball an inch and then this apparently happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2084875833.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	40207   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2650218533.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	40208  

Spence, Brandi, Abby, Olivia and Boone-dog.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

That does not appear to be significant damage to the trailer, just cosmetic. I agree it looks like one of your WDH bars got into it, probably when turning. It looks like you need to drop the WDH bars by letting the chain out a link or two. Hopefully you can make up the difference with hitch head angle.

Another idea is the balls with a longer shank that sit higher. A couple people have used 1 inch rise ball shank to set the hitch head lower and decrease the angle of the weight bar.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
I went by the storage place today to pull the battery (I forgot to unhook it when I dropped it off last month. Oops) and noticed this on the frame. Now I don't remember nose diving the trailer into anything. And it wasn't like this before. Ya think I've got an improper set up causing this? I think the rails from the leveling hitch are hitting this cross member. Now that I've used this thing some I need to fine tune some settings...starting here with the hitch. I raised the ball an inch and then this apparently happened.

How short are you cutting corners? It looks like the chain was rubbing on the under side of the tongue frame also. Something is not right with this set up. Did this happen on the other side of the tongue? If you can hook up your unit and have a big lot to slowly go to the right and have some one watch it to see how hard a turn that you can take. You may need to tilt the ball and assembly back a little to gain a link in length. imo

Also, with parasite leakage your batt is most likely low or dead. Put a hard high charge on it for a couple of hours and then back off to a maintenance charge for a while.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Yep. It's in both sides. Not as bad on the left. And that had to have happened on the way back from the lady trip. In which there were no sharp turns or goofed up/jack knifed backups. I've been running with 4 links hanging. Think I'll drop to three and see what it looks like. Next run is in like 3 weeks.

The battery wasn't dead, but low. Charger said 62% when I hooked it up. It's charged sitting in the garage. Disconnect is also in garage. Plan to hook that up in the trip.

Spence, Brandi, Abby, Olivia and Boone-dog.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote