Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #41

That is lock over access slot to crank your spare tire down from under truck bed.
Normutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomap View Post
I also have this on the other side of the rear plate - haven't tried to figure out what it is yet
Plug to get to spare tire Remove plug inset jack handle and crack spare tire down
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebringfla View Post
Looks like someone is having a bit of fun with you guys.
I'm a little suspicious myself, since the OP works in I.T.
You'd think they would know how to research these questions.
Just going through the F150's owner's manual, would have answered many of their questions.
But I'm willing to give them a pass, as they may not be familiar with vehicles.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normutah View Post
That is lock over access slot to crank your spare tire down from under truck bed.

Congrats...you are the 10th person to answer that...

Fascinating to me that so many folks don't read the entire thread before typing.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #45
KnP

Quote:
I also have this on the other side of the rear plate - haven't tried to figure out what it is yet
That is the lock for the spare tire.

Read the Owners Manual. Most people fail to read it, most of the answer to your questions are in that book.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
That is the lock for the spare tire.

Read the Owners Manual. Most people fail to read it, most of the answer to your questions are in that book.
Just like this thread!
Old 10-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #47

HA! I hear you guys. The truth is I consider myself to be pretty smart and fairly handy but a lot of this is indeed very new to me. I feel pretty lost, to be honest. I am currently reading through the owners manual but have you seen how long that thing is!?

I'm also learning a lot about my first camper and 12v fridges and propane usage and solar charging and everything else there is to learn. It's a lot and it isn't just the truck.

Sometimes it's easier to just ask in a place like this - I'm definitely not messing with you guys.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #48

Quote:
HA! I… - I'm definitely not messing with you guys.
Ah shucks, I was hoping you were. Reading these threads is so educational and entertaining. BTW, after my last trip out to dump the tanks, we parked our Wildcat 5er. We put it on 20 acres with the deer, moose, bears and turkeys.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:44 PM   #49
KnP

Quote:
HA! I hear you guys. The truth is I consider myself to be pretty smart and fairly handy but a lot of this is indeed very new to me. I feel pretty lost, to be honest. I am currently reading through the owners manual but have you seen how long that thing is!?

I'm also learning a lot about my first camper and 12v fridges and propane usage and solar charging and everything else there is to learn. It's a lot and it isn't just the truck.

Sometimes it's easier to just ask in a place like this - I'm definitely not messing with you guys.
Do not feel bad, I went through a lot of documentation when I was installing a hitch on my 09 Pontiac G8.

Had to get a hold of some people in Astraya, met some good mates in down under.

A friendly advice, when you buy any car, look for the Owners Manual. That book is a hidden treassure, a well of knowledge. You will not believe the amount of good info that is in it.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies - very helpful!

Regarding the trailer brake - when is this used? I assume when going downhill on the highway but do you use this in conjunction with the truck braking? What is the idea behind this? Do you use it often?
You want to set your trailer brake with that squeeze thing that he showed you in the picture so that the truck barely moves with the trailer brake only, you'll probably adjust that somewheres around 5:00 or 6:00. Then when you hit the brake in the truck it automatically applies brakes to the trailer depending on how much pressure you put on the brake pedal. In an emergency if you have to stop quick then you use that switch you squeeze it together to get maximum break on the trailer and break your truck at the same time.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #51

Quote:
This is to get at your spare tire. Use your key. You probably want to lubricate this from time to time as well.

What year is your truck? You probably have drive modes and can set it to tow haul - this will "optimize" the engine and transmission for towing (higher revs...).

jmh
fmozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebringfla View Post
Looks like someone is having a bit of fun with you guys.
That seemed certain about his 1 st post.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:17 PM   #53

Quote:
You will need to open it with your key and use it to lower your spare tire if you get a flat. Also a seven wire plug will work with your and as suggested earlier, read your owners manual on towing and be very mindful of setting up your brake controller to your trailer. READ THE MANUAL
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
I own a 2014 3.5 Ecoboost SCREW F150.
Believe it or not, our new Hyundai Kona's owners manual is 3x bigger than my F150's manual. I'm currently reading through it, cover to cover. But that's something I always do.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #55

Anti Sway / weight distribution

Definitely a great idea to get anti sway / weight distribution. Without it you will feel like driving a backhoe on any kind of bumpy roads loping up and down and it makes a world of difference keeping the truck/ trailer straight in windy situations.

Just got back a few weeks ago from trip to Tennessee and was a terrible windy day. 25 mph steady with gusts to 45 mph most of the way back to Illinois. Worst time I have ever had towing a trailer. Had to slow down to 55-60 at times on Interstate but without the anti sway I would have been parked on the side of the road waiting it out all day like the half dozen semis I passed that were pulled over instead of fighting the wind.

After I got back I found out that there were tornado watches and warnings all along my route all the way back.
ClarkeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:28 AM   #56

That’s access for your spare tire to lower it.
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #57
Site Team

I’m guessing that lock is for the spare tire since that answer has been given 14-16 times!!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:11 AM   #58

Colomap,

Congrats on the F150 Lariat. I’ve had mine with the 3.5 liter option since 2015 and love it. BTW, I haul a 30 foot Cherokee Grey Wolf with mine and it is a great truck.

Like some others have advised on this thread, (you must) get a weight distribution hitch. Some (of the very good) RV dealers these days won’t let you drive off the lot without one. Once set up properly (get help from a reputable RV shop), this will keep everything level AND it will take some of the load off the ball on your bumper and spread that weight load to put more load on your front tires so your truck stays level especially when stopping. My WDH also has sway-control to help reduce unwanted side-to-side action when hauling.

Also a tip on how to use that hand operated integrated brake controller - read the manual on how to set it up - I set mine up years ago - something like roll at 25 mph in a safe location with no traffic, and increase the gain setting so the hand controller alone will bring the truck and camper to a smooth stop without locking up. Mine is set at 6.5, I think. So, when you are driving down the road hauling your camper and you pick up some sway, squeeze the dash brake controller. Doing this will slow the camper in relation to the truck eliminating the sway completely. Remember, the truck’s automatic sway control doesn’t kick in until after sway starts and continues, so, you can assist it by using the hand controller. Once you realize how to do this and learn to react using it quickly, it works great. I’m not a truck driver, but I believe tractor trailer drivers do this all the time when hauling.

Also, the best feature your truck probably has is engine braking in the tow/haul setting (the button is probably on the shifter if you have it). This not only uses engine downshifting to help stop when hauling, in many cases, trucks with this setting also have additional tranny cooling when this is turned on.
Most importantly READ YOUR MANUAL.
Hope this helps.
Good luck and enjoy!

CTSS
Old 10-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #59

Not sure what year your Lariat Is?

On your gear shift you might have a trailer set up. You can set up for your trailer. That is where you will control your trailer brake settings.

I do suggest buying this...it will help keep you from wearing sewer sludge unintentionally.

Be sure to get this one that will slip onto the end where your sewer Cap is. I Silicone it to keep it on..

Good luck.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211027-103140_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	264972
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #60

That is where you unlock the tailgate. The trailer brakes will engage as you use the truck brake. You can engage them manually but would usually only use the manual in emergency situations such as when the start to severely sway.
Townsend5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle