Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #1

Grankd Cherokee Diesel towing a Grey Wolf 28BHKS

Hi all,
I have a 2008 grand cherokee diesel (max trailer weight 7200lbs/hitch 720 lbs). Do you think that a Grey Wolf 28bhks would be too heavy? http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...eries=GreyWolf

It appears to be right on the cusp for hitch weight and just over the gvwr ( I guess I would just have to load less). I'm planning on installing a Hensley Hitch as well. My guts are telling that it is probably a tad too big, but my heart is telling me otherwise.
JJW97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yeah I'm thinkin to much trailer.
Don't forget u have to add your personal weight and your dw kids dogs etc etc to that weight.
600 lbs possible there.
Pots pans clothing chairs blankets pillows food the hitch
cds dvds bathroom supplies
it all adds up in a hurry. 1000lbs ain't nothing before you know it
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

Damn....thanks. I had a feeling.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Keep in mind that's my opinion.
flagstaff signature series ultra light?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

The Flagstaff Superlite 27BESS looks perfect except the tonge weight is about 70lbs to heavy. I'm not sure how that affects things, or is it less relevant with a hensley hitch or something similar?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

We may now be looking into a Surveyor SP-260 or SV-291 or 294. If that fails we will probably look at a KZ Sportsman S280BH. First to get my brake controller installed. Any suggestions on make/model? Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I'm pretty new to this game.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #7

I believe you are looking at too much trailer for your rig. You may have the power to pull, but you still have a unibody and short wheelbase. Remember, it is not just the weight of the trailer, you must take into account it's huge profile that is affected by the wind and passing semis.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

With a Hensley installed, I think the Sportsman shouldn't be too bad as it has a GVWR of 7000lbs. The Surveyor SP-260 GVWR is around 7400 ( I don't think keeping 200lbs out of the trailer will be much of an issue) and both are under 30'. Jeeps recommended max trailer length is 30'.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJW97 View Post
The Flagstaff Superlite 27BESS looks perfect except the tonge weight is about 70lbs to heavy. I'm not sure how that affects things, or is it less relevant with a hensley hitch or something similar?
Hensley, Propride, or any of the hitches are still bound by your tongue weight limitations of the truck.

Weight distribution hitches still realize the tongue weight, they just help to distribute that weight across the length from your front axles clear through to the trailer axles.

Pound for pound, the truck is limited by the manufacturer's ratings, which is stated to prevent failure of the structure, failure to maintain control, and failure to safely prevent a mishap when an evasive maneuver is needed.

...and to quote Viper "Top Gun rules of engagement are written for your safety and for that of your team. They are not flexible, nor am I."

But seriously, overloading or running at the max leaves no margin for error.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #10

Thank you all for your help. I think I have found a trailer that meets our needs and is within specs with a bit of wiggle room (around 6000lbs GVWR). I agree with you flyrotor, I don't want to ride the edge.

Tags
28bh