Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

Hacking the GM infotainment system...

Has anyone come up with a way to hack the infotainment system/screen in GM trucks to display 3rd party trailer cameras?
Our 5ver came with a rear backup camera which includes the GPS like device that goes on my dash along with all it's wires. I'd sure like to either modify that camera or buy a different one so that it would display on the infotainment screen instead.

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
D W

I can tell you about an unsuccessful attempt to hack the infotainment center of a 2017 GMC Sierra. A guy down the street attempted to install a switch so he could turn his back-up camera on while going down the road. Worked real good when he flicked the switch the first time. When he went to turn it off the whole infotainment center went dark. Nothing!

Long story short, it cost him $2300 to have it repaired. Not covered by warranty.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

I wanted to do the same in y 2015 GMC Sierra Denali HD. I wanted to get both the camera and Android auto/CarPlay functionality. I talked to a company in Broomfield, CO that does this type of work routinely. They told me that the original software cannot be modified unfortunately...and the entire GPS head needs to be switched out. $1300. In addition, these modifications do not function without the vehicle VIN being programmed into the new head.

Check out their website: www.gm-navigation.com

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:50 AM   #4

I know on the new chevy's, they are giving you trailer camera's on some packages and they are an optional accessory you can buy if you have some of the non top tier camera packages but still have the upgraded 8" infotainment package. There are plug ins right by the 7 pin and 4 pin trailer plugs on the bumper for two cameras on my LTZ. I believe it's a $300+ accessory for the camera and wiring kit for your trailer. Might be worth looking into if it's compatible with your year truck.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

I bought a oem tailgate camera. Made a switch with the correct connectors so the new trailer camera simply plugs in when connected and flip the switch from tailgate to trailer camera. You can do a infotainment upgrade. Wams is another company. I just replaced my factory radio with a pioneer avic8400. Total cost for miracast, android auto wireless, rear entertainment just under 1000. Had to bypass the stock amp in the bose system cause i didnt wanna spend 400 on the alpine adapter.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #6

If this setup didn't work, these people may be the ones to talk to.

Chevrolet and GMC Multi-Camera System for Factory LCD Screen
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #7

Maybe Navtool has something.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #8

Intellihaul by Echomaster

This is what I use by echomaster, works great. Gives you two side mirrors of coverage front camera & wireless rear camera with 35ft range.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...railering.html

We have installed two of them one in a 2016 chevy 2500hd & a 2019 GMC 2500. Let's you see behind your trailer on the infotainment system 8" display.
wolfe4656 is offline   Reply With Quote