Old 09-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #1

Harbor freight WDH

Does anyone or has anyone ever use this? I know you get what you pay for, but I have some guys I work with say they use it and have had no problem.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-...tem-67649.html
BTB517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #2

I find that when I spend top dollar I NEVER get what I paid for. There is a balance though, usually you can find quality stuff near the rock bottom prices. I don't know about the Harbor Freight one but the Fastway E2 is $365 shipped on Amazon and it includes the receiver at that price and has sway control.

The HF is what $210 with the head? If they let you use the 20% off coupon that would probably be a good deal but there is no sway control.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
Brake is on left

IMHO, it is never a good idea to trust HF stuff in critical applications. Some of their stuff has served me well but I don't teust it to last. Nor do I trust their quality control.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #4

HF marketing that hitch "to prevent dangerous trailer sway" is ridiculous. Looks like a decent WDH, but that is ALL it is. It is not a sway control device.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Site Team

I agree, I wouldn't trust a cheap old tech WDH that's made overseas, to pull my TT. That's why I sprung for a 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH with integrated sway control.
I just had a HF vise shaft break, trying to crimp a simple wire connector.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
D W

OP doesn't list what the specs are his towable. That makes a difference. There are a lot of these Haul Master WDH's in service. I know several people who have these and swear by them. They are "low-tech", but so is the basic lever principle that they are based on. Too many people confuse sway with aero-push. Too different animals. If you scale your rig and set the hitch up correctly you won't have to worry about sway. Most people I know, including myself take that chincy little friction friction device and throw it in the scrap metal bin. Any hitch can fail like Equalizers and Blue Ox's in this thread:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ure-95420.html

I've even seen reports of the "high end" Anderson products failing.

One of the pluses I hear about the HF Haul Master WDH's is that the shank is long enough so you can easily open the tailgate on your TV when hitched.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I find that when I spend top dollar I NEVER get what I paid for. There is a balance though.
Nailed it right there.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #8

My dealer included a round bar hitch with my trailer. Used it once and sold it on Facebook Marketplace and bought the E4. Have had plenty of experience with roundbar/chain WDHs so I knew I didn't want another one.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #9

The picture is not of an Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch.

Like I said the HF looks like a decent hitch and may work fine for the OP. Depends on what they are towing.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
The picture is not of an Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch.
What picture are you talking about? Nobody posted a picture.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
FLY4FUN

...been using the HF for years with a 5,000 & 6,500 lb. gross trailer. That plus a friction "sway control" has served me well. (It's always interesting that some may interpret "sway" as "fish-tailing" while others see it in terms of a "sway-back mule" with TV and towed dipping at hitch -- it would seem that whoever wrote the HF ad saw it as the latter .) Maybe a much heavier trailer would "demand" more $$$$ and robust engineering, but I'd buy the HF again if I needed one for the size and kind of towing I do. YMMV.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
What picture are you talking about? Nobody posted a picture.
The pic in post #6.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #13

HF hitch works fine for me

Quote:
Does anyone or has anyone ever use this?
I have a 4,800# loaded trailer and I bought the HF hitch back in 2014 before I picked up my trailer 120 miles from my home. I set it up before i got there. I did adjust the setup when I changed TV in 2016 and have never had an issue. I have used it now for over 6 years and it works just fine for a trailer of this size ( 21 feet long) and loaded with about 14% of the weight (660#) on the tongue. I have zero problems with sway, but again I always load tongue heavy which solves many sway problems before they begin.

It is a steel hitch and really not much to go wrong with it. It is fully adjustable for a variety of TV. It is not complicated to use or setup. With the 20% off coupon you can be out the door for about $200. All you have to do is add a 2 5/16 inch ball to the purchase. The setup is pretty easy if you look at some videos first. Just make sure you have some BIG wrenches to get everything cranked down well. A torque wrench is not necessary if you have some mechanical acuity ( you know what you are doing with a wrench).

I have a friend with a similar smaller trailer and he has used the same hitch for 5 years without issue. He has an enclosed trailer that he uses to drag old ( think Model T) cars around to shows. I grease the sockets where the distribution bars hold into the hitch. I try to keep the bar ends clean ( they will have grease on them) and out of the weather. You can back up your trailer without detaching and unloading the bars, but beware that very tight over 45 degrees backing up turns I will not recommend without taking the bars off. The HF design allows you to add sway a control bar if you find them necessary. I did not find it to be necessary in my application

The HF design is the same as a popular low cost Reese hitch that has been around forever. I would say it is identical to this $360 unit at etrailer...
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP67509.html

Everyone has their favorite hitch, and most will fight for their favorite brand, but for my smaller trailer the HF hitch does everything I need it to do, for about $200. Using your electric tongue jack to help load and unload the bars makes the whole hitching operation almost painless. It did take me awhile to learn the trick though... so be sure to ask about it when you get the hitch. I don't think I would use for anything much heavier (7,500#+) or longer than say 26-27 feet, but that is just my opinion. The reviews on the HF website are pretty favorable if that has any SWAY with you.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 PM   #14

lI have no problems with it at all for 2 seasons now. 19' Rockwood Geo Pro being towed by a Dodge Grand Caravan. Works fantastic. TV and trailer sit nice and level, no sway problems, and has no problem backing into sites while still connected. I would recommend getting the right length grade 8 bolts to go into the chain hangers, the ones that come with the hitch are extra long.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote