Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrandi View Post
No key and can’t put in drive or unlock steering wheel. Use mine all the time.
Ok, so the steering and gearshift remain locked but you might lose a window before the thief figures that out.
Lots of driveway warm up thefts here in the Reno area.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #22

Do not go to a WALMART to have your batteries tested. Either go to a major repair shop, auto parts store such as NAPA or a major retailer that will load test the batteries. Have them each load tested individual. Even if just one battery test bad or has very low on voltage replace them both.

Also check your cross over cables and wiring for the battery plus all of the grounds on your truck for corrosion. Clean as necessary.

Let us know what you find out!
Old 02-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #23

I love my remote start for my 2007 Duramax. I just send my Grandson out to start it on cold mornings And yes, it gets cold enough to use glow plugs here. This was between Hatch and Las Cruces NM, along the river at 6:30am:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200111_064124901.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	222893
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 AM   #24

Living up north I am curious about whether or not you use the block heater.

The DW plugs in most nights here in Ohio. With a timer, cost is about $.25 a night. No start up delay to preheat.

Additionally, the truck produces heat very quickly for the ride to work.

If you have the original batteries, it is likely time to change.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
I own a 2015 Duramax and live in Iowa. I use remote start every day in the winter. I've never had an issue even on the extreme cold days. I don't plug in the block heater either. Fires right up.

X2 from northern Illinois, and on my third Dmax.
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #26

I would never buy a battery at Walmart. Buy a name brand battery.

For .25 cents a night plug it in. Its much easier on a diesel to start them with a little heat.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #27

I have started my Duramax with the glow plug light on, using the key, but as stated before the factory remote will not start until the glow plugs have done their thing. I will be replacing my 5 year old batteries soon even though they still work fine. You never know where you'll be when they stop working.

Using the block heater is definitely beneficial : batteries and starter don't work as hard, engine oil gets to it's optimal temperature faster (less wear on internal engine components), and the cab warms up faster.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #28

Battery

X4-check batteries 1st. I have had very good luck w/ the Battery Plus Duracell-mid grade. They will check batteries in the truck for you and also use a power box when changing, so you do not lose any of your settings. I upgrade to group 31 batteries, if they fit-1/2" taller.
On my factory remote start, if you do not get in the truck and hit the "start" button w/in 5 minutes, it turns the truck off. Probably programable for longer time. Truck "lock" button has to hit 1st before remote start works. Steering and truck remained locked until you hit "Start" inside truck. Remote may delay several seconds if cold on diesel.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Ok, so the steering and gearshift remain locked but you might lose a window before the thief figures that out.
Lots of driveway warm up thefts here in the Reno area.
Thieves know about remote starts around here. They don't typically need to wait for a vehicle to be running to smash a window.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #30

Truck is a 2015. It's now 2020. Battery probably is original and it's time to replace it (them). Auto starting batteries should be replaced every 5 years even if you don't have problems with them.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #31

Batteries

If it is like my car, if the programed key is not in the car, it will shut down after about 8 minutes. DW has gotten me on this, leaving me w/ a dead car in the parking lot after she walked in the store w/ the key. It gives a 2 minute warning and then shuts the car down. Not sure if it is same on my Ford, I do not let her have the keys.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
'New to us diesel'. You will absolutely LOVE your diesel. As you know this is a camping forum. I also belong to a Super Duty Ford Diesel forum. I go to the camping forum to 'talk' camping' and the Diesel forum to 'talk' Diesels. 'We' can offer you many suggestions, but the 'people' that you really need to talk to are 2015 Duramax owners that start their truck in the cold with a remote starter. Gassers and Diesels are two different animals. Diesels do not have 'spark plugs' and needs a higher heat source to start the ignition process. With a cold engine and cold fuel does not or never make a good fast start. What does your owners manual say about 'cold starts' (with a remote starter)? Join a Duramax forum and learn about your truck, top to bottom... front to back.

My suggestions (as I own a Diesel), do not use the remote start...(engine and fuel are 'cold'). Have fully charged and good batteries (have them 'load' tested). Cycle through the 'glow plug' sequence twice when weather is lower than 35-40 degrees and only cycle once when warmer.

Let us know what you find...

You will love your Diesel.
Not all diesels use glow plugs.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You will need the Glow Plugs in the cold weather. After a few years the Glow Plug Relays will burn out. The Glow Plug Relay is easy to change on the 7.3s.
A number of friends with the Dmax, including myself, have had no problems with glow plugs, and several have over 300K miles with the original glow plugs. If one of the plugs goes bad, it will throw a code letting you know. Even then, you can start it.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:32 PM   #34

But the Duramax does, which is the subject of this thread.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Old 02-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #35

True but it was a quote to that person. Right ?
One should also note that batteries was not part of his question either. No one really answered his question, since you are one with the knowledge you should answer his actual question.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #36

Quote:
True but it was a quote to that person. Right ?
One should also note that batteries was not part of his question either. No one really answered his question, since you are one with the knowledge you should answer his actual question.
We are mostly thinking batteries is his problem. You having a bad day?
Old 02-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #37

Do you have any codes tripped?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #38

Quote:

Thank-you for adding your trivia knowledge to the thread, any more cummins?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #39

Duramax has a history of cracked fuel filter housings. The pump sucks air, no fuel to the pump, resulting in no start or long cranking. The fuel lubricates the pump so cranking with no lubrication destroys the pump. Big $$$$$
poorturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #40

Well brother les rambled on about everything except answering his question. He also said a higher heat source is needed for Diesels. None of which apply to the question. I was just trying say that the statement is incorrect.
Just seems odd that no one complained about being off topic on what was said in that statement which rambled on about about loving a Diesel and so on. But never addressed his question.
The battery idea should only come into play once the OP has provided some voltage or other information. He said the truck was new to him, maybe the batteries were replaced previously.
My knowledge is more than trivia, I have owned a truck and car repair shop for 50 plus years. Sorry if I spoke improperly. I will just leave it to the forum experts and keep to myself.
By the way if you really want to test batteries try a Midtronics MDX-600. That is what I like in my shop.

Tags
diesel