Old 02-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #81

Naw,glow plugs have nothing to do with heating the engine up. Just used for the start up process.
Nastynotchback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chascin View Post
Just changed my 2014 Duramax batteries June of 19 as they were starting to act as yours. Pull yours and have them tested at an auto parts store. Five years is about the time that they need to be replaced.
Surprised he got 5 years. Have a 2014 Highlander the batteries only went 2 years and left me at a fast food spot. They quit almost immediately now. No slow grinding for weeks like years past. And cold too? Not much chance.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynotchback1 View Post
Just so you know, a Duramax doesn't need glow plugs until 0 degrees or colder.
And your point is? Just added trivia? While glow plugs save a few seconds of crank time when colder, they darn sure don't hurt anything. So have you disconnected yours since you don't need them?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynotchback1 View Post
Naw,glow plugs have nothing to do with heating the engine up. Just used for the start up process.
Check it with a thermal imaging camera. They do make a difference.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
I own a 2015 Duramax and live in Iowa. I use remote start every day in the winter. I've never had an issue even on the extreme cold days. I don't plug in the block heater either. Fires right up.
Basically ^ X2.
I live in Illinois and on occasion when I have used the factory remote start in winter my Duramx has not started right away. Usually I try again and it will start. I attribute this to the glow plug not having been warm enough to start it on the first try but sufficient enough on the second or third time. I do put the boot on when the temps stay in the 30's. (But of course not this winter as I am in Florida for most of Jan, Feb and Mar this year )

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Duramax
Demco AutoSlide 18k
GMRCK25D - Rear Axle Timbren SES Suspension Upgrade
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #86

"When plugged in, the block heater helps warm the Duramax engine to provide easier starting and better fuel economy in temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. The block heater should be left plugged in for at least four hours before starting the Chevy 2500HD in cold weather." I guess GM thinks it warms the block.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplantcjf View Post
"When plugged in, the block heater helps warm the Duramax engine to provide easier starting and better fuel economy in temperatures below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. The block heater should be left plugged in for at least four hours before starting the Chevy 2500HD in cold weather." I guess GM thinks it warms the block.
No!
What the heater will do is warm up the engine coolant in the engine block. As a by product of the warmer coolant you may get some heat transfer to the block, but not much.

I could be wrong on this since I do not know the Duramax that will. But I doubt there is a sensor connected to the ECM that measuring the engine block temperature for ease of starting!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #88

I will let GM know they wrote it wrong. They probably wrote it that way for dummies like me who can't understand what they really do to make it easier to start their diesel in cold weather. I do own a Duramax and I do know that I get hot air out of the heater faster when it is plugged in and the engine compartment is warmer than the outside air when I unplug it. So if they really don't heat the "block" but heat the coolant and that heats the whole engine I guess I get a warmer engine quicker. And yes, I do own a thermal imager.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Walmart. You can replace them everywhere, but I have never had the need to. Made me Johnson controls
I agree. I've been using Walmart for replacement batteries for years. I get the longest warranty battery available. I can't say I have found they go bad any quicker than the OEM batteries...and right, you can always get a replacement almost anywhere any time, almost any hour of day or night, whether in-warranty or not. If you have an Interstate, you may have to wait until a dealer opens or even buy a Walmart battery to get going...instead of taking advantage of the Interstate warranty you paid for.
cornddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #90

Hmmm. Some of the same reasons I buy Interstate. Not every town has a 24 hour Walmart, or even a Walmart, but I've never failed to find a place that sells Interstate batteries
And so far, having to wait for 8am for a business to open hasn't been an issue. I can usually tell when a battery is bad, or going bad, before I actually have to replace it. So that lets me plan accordingly. And since I purchased a battery tester, I rarely have anymore surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornddog View Post
I agree. I've been using Walmart for replacement batteries for years. I get the longest warranty battery available. I can't say I have found they go bad any quicker than the OEM batteries...and right, you can always get a replacement almost anywhere any time, almost any hour of day or night, whether in-warranty or not. If you have an Interstate, you may have to wait until a dealer opens or even buy a Walmart battery to get going...instead of taking advantage of the Interstate warranty you paid for.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Hmmm. Some of the same reasons I buy Interstate. Not every town has a 24 hour Walmart, or even a Walmart, but I've never failed to find a place that sells Interstate batteries
And so far, having to wait for 8am for a business to open hasn't been an issue. I can usually tell when a battery is bad, or going bad, before I actually have to replace it. So that lets me plan accordingly. And since I purchased a battery tester, I rarely have anymore surprises.
Glad you can tell but with my factory battery it was fine when I left at 07:00 and by 08:00 it wouldn't crank. Never any warning.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod4448 View Post
Glad you can tell but with my factory battery it was fine when I left at 07:00 and by 08:00 it wouldn't crank. Never any warning.
Well, I'm no 'battery whisperer', but I do know my particular trucks and how they should sound/feel when starting. I guess I've been lucky that I haven't had a battery go from good to bad instantly.
When my Duramax doesn't start immediately and has an ever so slight hesitation in starting, I know to start checking my batteries, as historically one of them is likely having problems. And if I ignore it long enough, then both batteries will eventually have a bad cell and then it won't start at all.
Same with my older gas trucks with one battery. Any change in how they start, I get out the batterry tester.
Guess that's one good thing about keeping your vehicles forever. You get to know them really well
And the two tools in my garage that get the most use? Air compressor and battery tester......
Old 02-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplantcjf View Post
I will let GM know they wrote it wrong. They probably wrote it that way for dummies like me who can't understand what they really do to make it easier to start their diesel in cold weather. I do own a Duramax and I do know that I get hot air out of the heater faster when it is plugged in and the engine compartment is warmer than the outside air when I unplug it. So if they really don't heat the "block" but heat the coolant and that heats the whole engine I guess I get a warmer engine quicker. And yes, I do own a thermal imager.
All of your comments point to warm coolant not a block being warmer. At least on all of the vehicles I have owned. The cab heater circulates warm to hot water through a core from the coolant in the engine block! Then air is passed across this core which will then provide heated air to warm up the cab.

Another thing you need to remember the people writing the instruction manual/operator book may not have a technical degree or a very good command of the English language.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #94

lots of mincing of words here . the block heater as it is commonly called does heat the coolant which in turns warms the oil and block keeping it at a temp for easier starts in cold weather . most block heaters are installed where a freeze plug would go at least on the older models . the newer ones may use a different method but nobody was wrong here and to much playing with words to get to the same point JMHO
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
lots of mincing of words here . the block heater as it is commonly called does heat the coolant which in turns warms the oil and block keeping it at a temp for easier starts in cold weather . most block heaters are installed where a freeze plug would go at least on the older models . the newer ones may use a different method but nobody was wrong here and to much playing with words to get to the same point JMHO
I think people are confusing glow plugs with block heaters.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #96

Many years a GM Diesel owner. Two paramount things about cold weather starts. You have GOT to spin the motor at close to 90 RPM or it will Not catch. That is not as fast as it sounds. Just 1.5 revolutions per second. But, Unlike a gas engine that may "almost" stop turning and then suddenly catch - That urr, urr, urr, zoom; a diesel engine cranking slow is a lost cause... Secondly, in diesel engines with a glow-plug per cylinder, if is cold and you have two or more plugs not working, it probably will not start. Newer models even have a preheater screen in the intake to heat incoming ambient air to aid starting, but these pull many amps too. Dirty terminals are also a huge factor - on BOTH the batteries and the starter. Even the engine ground cable being corroded can be an issue.
Never use ether (starting fluid). I have used WD-40, BUT be very careful. You could bend a connecting rod if fluid reached the cylinder. In Minnesota, I wrapped both batteries with heat-tape and insulation and plugged them in with the block heater..
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel