Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #1

Hard Diesel Start Question

Tonight my Wife went to start our new to us 2015 Duramax at work and tried to start it with remote start and it would not start. She got in and tried to crank it over i assume immediately and it wouldnt start. She called me and I was led to lots of information on glow plugs and the dash light that is associated with it. Now she would try and start it when the light turned off however it still wouldnt turn over. I had her take the key out and open the door and then try it again and it wound up after a few seconds of turning over. My question is does the system lock you out if you dont allow the glow plugs time before you start it up so you have to because restart the process? Or how does this work normally.
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
Tonight my Wife went to start our new to us 2015 Duramax at work and tried to start it with remote start and it would not start. She got in and tried to crank it over i assume immediately and it wouldnt start. She called me and I was led to lots of information on glow plugs and the dash light that is associated with it. Now she would try and start it when the light turned off however it still wouldnt turn over. I had her take the key out and open the door and then try it again and it wound up after a few seconds of turning over. My question is does the system lock you out if you dont allow the glow plugs time before you start it up so you have to because restart the process? Or how does this work normally.
First thing i would check is the batteries assuming there 5 yrs old
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #3

In my area, many business that install remote start devices will not put them on diesel cars nor trucks because of the glow plug issue. Living in Wisconsin, you surely know that you can't immediately crank it over in really cold weather. It's likely not to start. I have a VW diesel Jetta that once you press the start button, will not crank unless the glow plug cycle has completed. My Powerstroke will crank whether the glow plug light is on or off, but it is extremely difficult to start in cold weather if I don't wait for it to go off. Will your truck crank despite the glow plug light still being on? If so … a remote start will not be winter friendly.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
In my area, many business that install remote start devices will not put them on diesel cars nor trucks because of the glow plug issue. Living in Wisconsin, you surely know that you can't immediately crank it over in really cold weather. It's likely not to start. I have a VW diesel Jetta that once you press the start button, will not crank unless the glow plug cycle has completed. My Powerstroke will crank whether the glow plug light is on or off, but it is extremely difficult to start in cold weather if I don't wait for it to go off. Will your truck crank despite the glow plug light still being on? If so … a remote start will not be winter friendly.

It appears that it won’t start, and that if you attempt to it won’t let you start it until you’ve removed the key from ignition, and restart
Old 02-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #5

Just changed my 2014 Duramax batteries June of 19 as they were starting to act as yours. Pull yours and have them tested at an auto parts store. Five years is about the time that they need to be replaced.
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

Sorry, I didn't even think about you having a factory remote which I'd now guess you do. Moving past that, I'd join the responders focusing on your batteries.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Sorry, I didn't even think about you having a factory remote which I'd now guess you do. Moving past that, I'd join the responders focusing on your batteries.

Yes it’s factory

What types of batteries do you guys recommend for these trucks. Historically in my gassers I’ve just tossed in a mid grade battery, but I know some guys are partial to brands for certain reasons in diesel for crank power
Old 02-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #8

Walmart. You can replace them everywhere, but I have never had the need to. Made me Johnson controls
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post

'New to us diesel'. You will absolutely LOVE your diesel. As you know this is a camping forum. I also belong to a Super Duty Ford Diesel forum. I go to the camping forum to 'talk' camping' and the Diesel forum to 'talk' Diesels. 'We' can offer you many suggestions, but the 'people' that you really need to talk to are 2015 Duramax owners that start their truck in the cold with a remote starter. Gassers and Diesels are two different animals. Diesels do not have 'spark plugs' and needs a higher heat source to start the ignition process. With a cold engine and cold fuel does not or never make a good fast start. What does your owners manual say about 'cold starts' (with a remote starter)? Join a Duramax forum and learn about your truck, top to bottom... front to back.

My suggestions (as I own a Diesel), do not use the remote start...(engine and fuel are 'cold'). Have fully charged and good batteries (have them 'load' tested). Cycle through the 'glow plug' sequence twice when weather is lower than 35-40 degrees and only cycle once when warmer.

Let us know what you find...

You will love your Diesel.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 AM   #10

Yep, check the batteries first. If bad, what works best for me is Interstate AGMs.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:25 AM   #11

What ever batteries you buy, get good ones (not cheap). I talked with a school bus garage supervisor yesterday and the cheaper makes of Interstate batteries were leaving their buses stranded recently. They stopped using Interstates this month.

I am trying to decide also, as my Dodge needs new batteries. I have had trouble with both Auto Zone and Advance batteries over the years.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #12

I've driven several different diesel trucks, and all seem to function as normal - turn key on, wait for the glow plugs or grid heater (Dodge), then start. If it doesn't start, just repeat the process. But my 2003 Cat 246 skidsteer requires resetting the key by returning it to off, and then trying to start again if it doesn't fire up the first time. It won't turn to the start position without turning to off first. Go figure.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #13

Never understood remote start. To me an unattended and unoccupied running vehicle invites theft.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Never understood remote start. To me an unattended and unoccupied running vehicle invites theft.
Majority of remote starts require you to do so by first locking the vehicle. If someone did break in the second they put it in gear without the key, it stalls. Far safer to start it with the remote than to go out there and start it with the key, in regards to possible theft anyhow.
I live in the North, all too familiar with cold starts. I use my factory remote all the time. There is a pause when you start with the remote, in order for the glow plug to do their thing then it fires up. Your remote start will not work if you have a Check Engine light on.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post

No key and can’t put in drive or unlock steering wheel. Use mine all the time.
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #16
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I own a 2015 Duramax and live in Iowa. I use remote start every day in the winter. I've never had an issue even on the extreme cold days. I don't plug in the block heater either. Fires right up.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #17

Had a '16 Duramax, which is the same as you engine wise. Using the remote, you have to hit the door lock twice, then hold the start. The computer will not start the vehicle until the glow plugs, if needed, heat up the cylinder. Then it will start. One thing that one doesn't realize, is if one of the two batteries is bad, or weak, the truck will not start. It needs both batteries.

I think the truck comes with 740 cca batteries, but most recommend at least 800 cca if possible. 5 years with batteries on a diesel is a good life.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #18

By the answers given, and i believe so, you have weak batteries. Fully Charge and then 'Load Test' and Replace both at the same time if needed, never replace only one. You may/will need new batteries in a year or two, but if it is another issue, it is better to spend money on the cause first.

If/since your remote start (seems to) have a delay for the glow plugs, your batteries are/may be to weak to start the truck. Do your Glow plugs actually come on? You will need the Glow Plugs in the cold weather. After a few years the Glow Plug Relays will burn out. The Glow Plug Relay is easy to change on the 7.3s.

Look at the batteries that you have and get the same size and amperage.

On the 7.3s if the voltage drops below a certain point the electronics will not work correctly to start the truck.

Get one of these.

It will tell you when starting your truck:

1) your voltage before you turn your key on.

2) your batt voltage drop when turn key to 'wait to start' and glow plugs come on. You may have a Glow Plug Relay that is not working.. this will tell you that if there is no voltage drop.

3) your voltage drop when glow plugs are on and when you turn key to start truck. Even though the 'wait to start light goes out, the glow plugs will/most likely stay on a minute later. If your voltage crashes, you may have a bad starter issue.

4) your voltage when truck is running and the glow plugs go off and the voltage will slowly rise to the point of you Alternator output.

Every Diesel owner should have one of these and use it. It tells you so much about the condition of several systems by the voltage numbers.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
By the answers given, and i believe so, you have weak batteries. Fully Charge and then 'Load Test' and Replace both at the same time if needed, never replace only one. You may/will need new batteries in a year or two, but if it is another issue, it is better to spend money on the cause first.

If/since your remote start (seems to) have a delay for the glow plugs, your batteries are/may be to weak to start the truck. Do your Glow plugs actually come on? You will need the Glow Plugs in the cold weather. After a few years the Glow Plug Relays will burn out. The Glow Plug Relay is easy to change on the 7.3s.

Look at the batteries that you have and get the same size and amperage.

On the 7.3s if the voltage drops below a certain point the electronics will not work correctly to start the truck.

Get one of these.

It will tell you when starting your truck:

1) your voltage before you turn your key on.

2) your batt voltage drop when turn key to 'wait to start' and glow plugs come on. You may have a Glow Plug Relay that is not working.. this will tell you that if there is no voltage drop.

3) your voltage drop when glow plugs are on and when you turn key to start truck. Even though the 'wait to start light goes out, the glow plugs will/most likely stay on a minute later. If your voltage crashes, you may have a bad starter issue.

4) your voltage when truck is running and the glow plugs go off and the voltage will slowly rise to the point of you Alternator output.

Every Diesel owner should have one of these and use it. It tells you so much about the condition of several systems by the voltage numbers.
Load testing batteries is a more accurate way to know how your batteries are. I would do that before dropping money on two new batteries as it could just be a battery connection issue. It's typically free to have them tested at any parts store, just make sure they disconnect one battery.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #20

This is good advice. Before I bought my own battery tester, most places either didn't know, or didn't want to disconnect one battery to test. This results in the test showing you have a bad battery, when you may not. But it did allow me to get several free new batteries from Sears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Load testing batteries is a more accurate way to know how your batteries are. I would do that before dropping money on two new batteries as it could just be a battery connection issue. It's typically free to have them tested at any parts store, just make sure they disconnect one battery.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel