Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #1

Haulgauge?

Has anybody here bought one of these yet, or do you have any experience with it? Any opinions?

I searched here and found only one previous thread about it from January, but that thread really didn’t go anywhere...I guess because the device is so new.

If it works, I would love to own one, so I would really appreciate any thoughts from people here instead of YouTube and Google.

https://www.haulgauge.com

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 03-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #2

First time I saw that from your link, just a question, why would a person need that?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
just a question, why would a person need that?
“Need”? I don’t know. “Want” is another thing. It just seems like a cool tool to add to the gadgetry collection.

Bruce
Old 03-10-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
Insert witty title here

I guess the only way to know for sure is to weigh your camper and truck at the CAT scales and see how that compares to the weight numbers this thing give you. Of course, once you have your CAT weight, do you really need this?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #5

I don't know about this. Guess I'd have to see it function with my own eyes. I don't see where it could accurately read the pin weight thru the OBD without weight transducers attached to the suspension. Based on Tilt ? not convinced.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Interesting idea... Can't wait the see the first complaint that their Haulgauge told them they could do it! LOL

Just seems like to many variables to be very accurate by reading the engine RPM / parameters and how much the truck tilts rearward.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #7

This is a little long because I want be extremely fair as my experience with the company has been 100% impressed. I bought mine in late December early January however I wasn’t going to be next to my trl until this weekend but I wanted to try it out as soon as possible. I was worried it might be vin locked ( it isn’t which to me adds value to the product )if I plugged it into my 1500. So I called they answered all my questions I was worried about my airlift aircells (longer bump stops that are progressive stiffer the more they are compressed) The gentleman who answered phone was very knowledgeable and helpful ( perhaps because his last name was same as owners by coincidence or design I can’t say) Anyway weighed my 1500 was very easy and appeared accurate. I had my daughter sit over the axle to check payload it was off by around 30 pounds but she sat on the wheel well so probably not the best place to sit to get weight. A few weeks later I was able to empty out my dually ( replaced tool box and removed B&W hitch ) grabbed the daughter went to weigh. This time it wasn’t as smooth ( perhaps my fault I might but don’t think I picked wrong transmission and I chose horrible place to calibrate). Finally get it calibrated about 15 minutes mostly due to me not following directions and where I calibrated. That said very happy with the weight reading. Following day tested payload put the new toolbox with tools and the B&W companion back in truck. Again it weighed less than I thought but weight was without me and daughter in truck combined with the fact probably less than 250 pounds total so not sure the dually springs knew it was there. Finally hooked to 5th wheel yesterday pin weight was off by around 1500 pounds ( the full compression rating of the aircells) so pretty sure that it’s very close based on how it measures weight. Once I hit a portion of the road where I could get total weight. I did receive a number I thought was way low. So I emailed company last night after 8pm received a response within 20 minutes on a Saturday evening from Mike Hall his signature at bottom of email list him as CEO of Hall Logic he answered all my questions. After having a night to think about I came to two possible reason why my weight was light assuming I didn’t accelerate fast enough to allow proper reading of clutch slippage combined the fact truck only has 5k so clutch still breaking in. Anyway I have no regrets to this point
Old 03-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
“Need”? I don’t know. “Want” is another thing. It just seems like a cool tool to add to the gadgetry collection.

Bruce

For basic rving probably no need but help with tongue weight imagine if a rv dealer or new customer bought and installed if worried about tongue weight just hook trl to truck instant reading on weight with no trip to scales needed. Need to redistribute some weight off the tongue then you can get the results. May not have the precise measurement of a scale but has more options If I was a hotshot driver it could pay for itself quickly saving overweight fines and scale prices.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
For basic rving probably no need but help with tongue weight imagine if a rv dealer or new customer bought and installed if worried about tongue weight just hook trl to truck instant reading on weight with no trip to scales needed. Need to redistribute some weight off the tongue then you can get the results. May not have the precise measurement of a scale but has more options If I was a hotshot driver it could pay for itself quickly saving overweight fines and scale prices.
As a private camper (not a company driver) I see no need for this other than maybe the initial setup / adjustment of a WD setup like you said. BUT once that s setup how many of us truly drive to the scales every-so often to check that nothing changed.. Or care to do so... When nothing changes with our trailer and tow veh?

You also posted that it was not accurate, gave too little weight, so I do not even think a hotshot driver would want to rely on this. I;ve ran into two type of he hot shotter... The one who does not care at all and the ones who do. The ones who will care will use the scales because when they get pinched a app on the phone will not be worth anything against their over weight fine, too much risk to be worth it.

It is an interesting idea but to be is a novelty item for the "gadget guy" that is a solution looking for a problem.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

It is also way to involved, my guess, to re-calibrate to each customers car that comes in... I can do the same setup with the WD using the tried and true tape measure.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
This is a little long because I want be extremely fair as my experience with the company has been 100% impressed. I bought mine in late December early January however I wasn’t going to be next to my trl until this weekend but I wanted to try it out as soon as possible. I was worried it might be vin locked ( it isn’t which to me adds value to the product )if I plugged it into my 1500. So I called they answered all my questions I was worried about my airlift aircells (longer bump stops that are progressive stiffer the more they are compressed) The gentleman who answered phone was very knowledgeable and helpful ( perhaps because his last name was same as owners by coincidence or design I can’t say) Anyway weighed my 1500 was very easy and appeared accurate. I had my daughter sit over the axle to check payload it was off by around 30 pounds but she sat on the wheel well so probably not the best place to sit to get weight. A few weeks later I was able to empty out my dually ( replaced tool box and removed B&W hitch ) grabbed the daughter went to weigh. This time it wasn’t as smooth ( perhaps my fault I might but don’t think I picked wrong transmission and I chose horrible place to calibrate). Finally get it calibrated about 15 minutes mostly due to me not following directions and where I calibrated. That said very happy with the weight reading. Following day tested payload put the new toolbox with tools and the B&W companion back in truck. Again it weighed less than I thought but weight was without me and daughter in truck combined with the fact probably less than 250 pounds total so not sure the dually springs knew it was there. Finally hooked to 5th wheel yesterday pin weight was off by around 1500 pounds ( the full compression rating of the aircells) so pretty sure that it’s very close based on how it measures weight. Once I hit a portion of the road where I could get total weight. I did receive a number I thought was way low. So I emailed company last night after 8pm received a response within 20 minutes on a Saturday evening from Mike Hall his signature at bottom of email list him as CEO of Hall Logic he answered all my questions. After having a night to think about I came to two possible reason why my weight was light assuming I didn’t accelerate fast enough to allow proper reading of clutch slippage combined the fact truck only has 5k so clutch still breaking in. Anyway I have no regrets to this point

Breaking up a post into paragraphs will help make more people reach the end of a post.

I couldn't make it to the end as my eyes went blurry...

I'll try again later!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Has anybody here bought one of these yet, or do you have any experience with it? Any opinions?

I searched here and found only one previous thread about it from January, but that thread really didn’t go anywhere...I guess because the device is so new.

If it works, I would love to own one, so I would really appreciate any thoughts from people here instead of YouTube and Google.

https://www.haulgauge.com

Thanks,

Bruce
Neat gimmick or gadget . but it's about as useful as the sureline TW scale use it once or twice and then it sits gathering dust
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #13

For the 1500 it was not difficult to calibrate just plug in answer questions less than 5 minutes total. While swapping from truck to truck could be time consuming even at 5 minutes if everything went perfect. However leaving it on a truck super simple back up get hitch aligned hit the button on the phone tells you to basically finish dropping trailer on ball you get the read out no recalibration required. Yes I said it gave to little weight but on my 3500 I have “ mods” in the extended bump stops in the 1500 your talking a 140 pounds sitting on one wheel well of a truck rated to carry 1800 pounds. I think if she sat on the tailgate might have been closer but with such a small amount of weight more difficult to measure. I agree its almost a 1 and done product for the average rv’er and that there are a ton of variables that might make it difficult to be down to the excact pound accurate.However I still feel it could be useful for more options than than we give it credit for. After reading all the weight related threads on the forum I would think it could be a useful tool for toy haulers figuring out pin weight with and without toy in back. Until recent my closest scale was just under 60 miles away so for easy math 10 mpg = 12 gallons of diesel at $2.50 a gallon $30 two weight tickets at $11 each (at least two and half hours there back weigh loaded unloaded) I would be willing to spend the $100 dollars for the HaulGauge in my mind I would at worst break even for the one time use. No toy hauler how about figuring out pin or tongue when deciding to go with fresh water tank full or mt . I only responded the second time because I didn’t want my comments to have a negative reflection of the company or product. Their quick and helpful response to my phone call and email especially in today’s world tells me ( in my mind at least) that the product is not a sham and they really are concerned about how it works and when done correctly very accurate
Old 03-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
For the 1500 it was not difficult to calibrate just plug in answer questions less than 5 minutes total. While swapping from truck to truck could be time consuming even at 5 minutes if everything went perfect. However leaving it on a truck super simple back up get hitch aligned hit the button on the phone tells you to basically finish dropping trailer on ball you get the read out no recalibration required. Yes I said it gave to little weight but on my 3500 I have “ mods” in the extended bump stops in the 1500 your talking a 140 pounds sitting on one wheel well of a truck rated to carry 1800 pounds. I think if she sat on the tailgate might have been closer but with such a small amount of weight more difficult to measure. I agree its almost a 1 and done product for the average rv’er and that there are a ton of variables that might make it difficult to be down to the excact pound accurate.However I still feel it could be useful for more options than than we give it credit for. After reading all the weight related threads on the forum I would think it could be a useful tool for toy haulers figuring out pin weight with and without toy in back. Until recent my closest scale was just under 60 miles away so for easy math 10 mpg = 12 gallons of diesel at $2.50 a gallon $30 two weight tickets at $11 each (at least two and half hours there back weigh loaded unloaded) I would be willing to spend the $100 dollars for the HaulGauge in my mind I would at worst break even for the one time use. No toy hauler how about figuring out pin or tongue when deciding to go with fresh water tank full or mt . I only responded the second time because I didn’t want my comments to have a negative reflection of the company or product. Their quick and helpful response to my phone call and email especially in today’s world tells me ( in my mind at least) that the product is not a sham and they really are concerned about how it works and when done correctly very accurate
Thanks for the feedback as someone who used one!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Thanks for the feedback as someone who used one!

X2

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
X2

X3. Before I order one, I'll give the company a bit more time to shake out the bugs (reviews seem to indicate this is happening pretty quickly). I can see this being useful checking how things sit even during a trip. How full are the tanks, did someone put something heavy in the wrong spot. How much do I have in the truck bed NOW? Etc... On my rig, the main grey tank just adds weight, galley grey adds TW, black subtracts TW, FW subtracts a LOT of TW. Since we often stop for just a day or 2, I don't dump after every stop. Depending on what facilities are available at the next stop and how fare we are moving, FW can be anywhere from full to empty...
Overall, I think it can be a very useful tool - once it works reliably.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #17

I would think somebody knows this before they even get on a highway, without this device. Just another gadget. Still don't get it

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #18
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I don't know...

I think that if we are worrying about moving stuff around on every trip because we might be overloading one or more aspects of our RV's...

Then maybe...just maybe...they might have a little too much stuff in their RV!

Or the tow vehicle is not strong enough...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Neat gimmick or gadget . but it's about as useful as the sureline TW scale use it once or twice and then it sits gathering dust
Can't say that my Sherline Tongue Weight Scale sits and gathers dust. I bring it out and use it after loading for a trip. I prefer to take an actual weight rather than just assume that I've loaded the trailer the same every time. Only takes me a few minutes to set up and weight the tongue right at the coupler.

As for measuring how well my truck "hauls/pulls"? I have this gauge built into my backside that answers that question and does it for free.

I'll stick with my Sherline for TW.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I have trouble believing that it would be accurate.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote